Chemical Purge to Nic Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmbgzus

May 12, 2014
USA
This thread is only for speculative purposes. I am not backing it with any medical, or scientific research, only speculation.

Vaporizers have quickly risen to #1 for smoking cessation throughout the world. While actual numbers are unknown, individual reports of success are skyrocketing.

So, you stopped smoking, how will you stop vaping? Some of us never will.

After roughly 7 months of vaping, I find that I'm getting bored with the process of "smoking". I no longer feel the need for chemical satisfaction. It almost seems more trouble than its worth really. Here's my theory.

Studies on whether or not nicotine itself, in its natural form, is actually addictive. We consume many other products that contain nicotine, yet we don't crave them. We also know that cigarettes have thousands of chemicals, some of which are unidentified. Perhaps it is some of those additives that are actually part of the addiction?

We begin by replacing the habit of smoking with a vaporizer. Then, we purge the body of as many unwanted chemicals as possible. As time progresses, the body begins to heal itself, some effects are temporarily painful. Gradually, we reduce our nicotine strength.

While the major contributing factor to smoking cessation is the psychology of the smoker, I believe that the chemical purge may be the second largest contributor.

Say that nicotine itself is in fact, not addictive. Rather the addiction is from the other chemicals. Ridding the body of the addiction, maintaining the purge, breaking the smoking habit, leaves us with only one step remaining. Being vape free.

Taking into account that one may not have the same controlling, all consuming urge to vape, as we do with smoking, all we would have to do is just walk away from our devices. In the same manner as we quit smoking, we gradually spend more and more time away from our vaporizer. Eventually, vape free.

Once we're done using "nicotine is addictive" as a crutch, could it really be so simple as to walk away healthier, yet much more educated? Smoke free, vape free?

Just a thought burning in my mind.

-Zmbgzus

John_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
Riverside, California, USA
True addiction has always been something that's boggled me, I personally can stop doing anything if given a reason to. I hate that there's the cliche "I can stop anytime I want to!" because for me I really can. That being said, when I was smoking I found that I had the desire to light up a cigarette much more often and in a much stronger way than I have a desire to vape. I vape a lot but that's because I enjoy it. Go over to a friends house, watch a movie, attend some event, some times I won't even think about vaping. When I was smoking, I'd rarely go through something like that without at least thinking about a cigarette. For me, I really do think nicotine it self is not what makes people "addicted" to smoking. I think it's nicotine's interaction with the other chemicals in cigarettes inside your body as well as of course the social aspect of smoking.

Last edited:

zmbgzus

May 12, 2014
USA
During some medical reading for my fb page, I came across an article that glazed over how big tobacco makes a type of synthetic nic, the equivalent of the transition of (OTHER SUBSTANCES). The social aspect is the most appealing. Again, psychology of the smoker. We're just usually nicer people lol I

Last edited by a moderator:

zmbgzus

May 12, 2014
USA
I don't intend to stop vaping, so it doesn't concern me. It was the only tool available to me that compelled me to quit smoking, none of the alternatives did so.

So I'll vape on........

Cat

It didn't originally concern me either. I enjoy vaping, or at least the flavors and knowledge. I'm just bored with it lol Not really any other way to put it honestly. Perhaps my latest shipment will renew it's vigor a bit. I won't go back to smoking, I've just never considered "life as an ex smoker".

Last edited:

WaynesWorld

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
West Central, MN
As was stated ... that Nicotine itself is not addictive, there's not one report that shows it's addictive. Nicotine has just gotten a bad rap, sort of the "Scape Goat", because it's associated with cigarettes. I've read that some of the 4,000+ chemicals in cigarettes are MAOIs which are used to fight depression ... and can be Highly addictive if used for long periods of time.

ADLinATL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Marietta, GA
I agree that it's addictive. Some stuff I read said more addictive than (OTHER SUBSTANCES). I don't think it's that bad but addictive yes. If it's the other stuff in smoke how to you explain people like my dad addicted to smokeless tobacco? He uses Copenhagen and I'm pretty sure if you gave him a nic free can that tasted the same he would know something is wrong. And I've tried zero nic juice and it doesn't work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
This is an interesting subject to me. I don't really "want" to quit vaping & I like using nicotine. But I have become very aware of how different my vaping habit is from smoking in that I find myself wanting less nicotine for no really good reason.

I was just telling my hubby yesterday that I thought I was going to have to drop my nic strength again because I'm getting an unwanted nicotine buzz when I hit the PV (sometimes it's wanted but more often not so much). So he says, why would you want that? I thought that was the point. And I'm explaining that since I stopped smoking my body just doesn't want as much nicotine so I get a buzz with less than I used to. He was saying he thought that was bizarre & totally not the way addiction to something works. And I was like, yea I know.

I know others have had a similar experience so I do think it's interesting. We have been convinced that our smoking habit was all about this intense addiction to nicotine when I'm no longer sure if that's really what it was all about now that I moved to vaping. I'm more convinced than ever that the "addiction" to cigarettes WAS really more about the chemicals & less about the nicotine.

Someone might say, well if that's true then what about nicorette gum & other cessation options. Why are those so ineffective? Well I'm thinking that maybe they are ineffective for the simple fact that vaping allows one to KEEP the smoking "habit" while purging their body of the chemicals. I can see people thinking they "need" a cigarette while using something like nicorette gum because they crave the habit AND the chemicals & can't tell the difference. But if you can keep the habit while purging the chemicals it becomes more evident to you what you are really after when you take a vape.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
hmm......45yrs and several failed attempts. Patch/Gum/Cold turkey, nothing helped. Love of family, concern for health, it just didn't happen. I am not of the camp that I could quit any time if given good enough reason. I have a genetic history that may have increased dependence.
Do I agree nicotine is additive or try and Feel good by rejecting that assumption? I'll leave that to the experts that continue to try and run our lives.
I will say I believe Addiction is the Excessive use and Abuse of something beyond normal limited exposure.
Addicted smokers - 1-2packs a Day - Nicotine? okay why then
Recreational smokers - a few cigarettes a year? Did someone remove their Nicotine?
The Bill fits Coffee - of course many already say Caffeine is addictive.
Soup for lunch every day?
Video games for hours on end?

There are those that will Tag just about anything as addictive to fit their Reasoning.

I would prefer to reason that there are those who more easily suffer addition to things, not that the things in and of themselves are addictive.
I did my Monthly DIY this weekend. Without intense consideration or concern for need, I once again dropped my Nic. What started as a 18mg sword to battle smoking is now a 3mg snack cake.:D

I will likely be Nicotine free in the near future. Something I never thought possible and something I have not really worked toward. I will likely vape for some time to come, not so much from need as from enjoyment. I have found a world of delicious things and now have the sensory ability to enjoy them.

Okay, nuff rambling,
Interesting post Op

:)

Cloud Pump

May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I think that it is also important to distinguish between physiological and psychological addiction when discussing the subject. We live our lives in multiple dimensions and different types of addiction can occur at each level. Smoking is not just about the physiological need to get nicotine. In addition to the fix there are whole set of behaviors centered around an activity. Our very identity becomes defined by that fact that we smoke(d). I think with smokers there is psychological addiction to the stress relief that the whole smoking package delivers, including but not limited to nicotine alone.

That's also the problem with any addiction. You can't just treat the physiological addiction itself. You also have to treat the whole set of values and beliefs that lead people to addiction in the first place.

zmbgzus

May 12, 2014
USA
Wow....I had no idea this would spur so much intuitive thought lol no offense. It's been stuck in my head for days now pouring over medical journals, figured if I put it to writing, it may be easier to understand. Understanding the basics of addiction, I find the anomaly strange to simple not want to smoke, or vape. Still vape? Yup. I enjoy it.

Perhaps someone who DIY mixes and has someone else in the house that vapes with nic would be willing to do a study? Replace a bottle of the other persons ejuice without their knowledge, with a non nicotine blend, and report the results???

Last edited:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
40+ year heavy smoker here with no desire to quit...I just never bought another carton after I got my first e-cig kit - bought 'cause I like gadgets.
Have had similar thoughts...great topic.
My nic is in the 3-5mg range. Will I quit nic completely ? I doubt it...I am fine not vaping for extended periods....but don't ask me to think about something...the concentration is just not there.

Edit to add...I am over 4 years without a cigarette now.

I did a little bit of editing...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-forum-rules/51178-forum-rules.html
10. a. 3. Discussion or mention of illegal/illicit drugs or sexual content.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ation/255864-why-we-dont-allow-drug-talk.html

Last edited:

zmbgzus

May 12, 2014
USA
My opinion on smoking is it's a learned habit made stronger by cigarette additives that have been known only to a few.. After smoking 47 years I really don't need so much the nic which I have lowered but the hand to mouth physical manifestation. My vape is usually in my hand whether I use it or not.

Results like this are what I'm looking for. I believe that smoking cessation is primarily psychological, less physical need. If so many can break the smoking habit, after near lifetimes of continuance, in a matter of hours, days, etc, with little to no draw backs, would that not indeed further stabilize the theory that becoming nic free after purging the body is almost literally just in your head? I understand that some feel the physical requirement to maintain nic levels long term, but how far does that "need" actually go? Are the commonly recalled symptoms triggered by the knowledge of the absence of nic? How long would it take for low nic vapers to realize that their ejuice actually contained 0 nic without being told? Upon discovery, would they THEN start to show symptoms of nic withdrawal?

Last edited:

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
I think most of it is psychological. Not so much starting smoking but the continuation. When I was young everyone smoked everywhere. It was just a thing everyone did. There was no vilification by society at that point. We got used to doing it and the chemicals that were introduced with each pack just made it better. I don't believe it is the nicotine at all -sure it is a mild upper but not near what they portray it as. It does have benefits that much I'm sure of but the combustion aspect is the problem.

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I keep hearing that nic isn't addictive. And I can't prove one way or the other it is for anyone else. But I do know it is for me. Without it, i get shakes, migraines, my IBS (irritable Bowel syndrom) flares up, my focus is gone and I go through major mood swings.

However, there are studies that are starting to come out that nicotine has benefits for anxiety, and alzheimers and other conditions I can't recall right now. I have an anxiety disorder (generalized Anxiety Disorder, on medication), and I (although not diagnosed as a child because it wasn't something that they knew of then) I'm also dealing with ADD as an adult.

It very well may be that it isn't an addiction for me that causes such horrible withdrawal symptoms. It may just be that it is benefiting me in a way my body needs. And I'm good with that, it beats taking more pills. All those symptoms I listed? are the same as before I had meds for my anxiety except for the focus and concentration. They are lessened with the meds, but they still come back without the nicotine badly enough that I'll keep my nic regardless.

Last edited:

zmbgzus

May 12, 2014
USA
Nicotine triggers the release of higher levels of dopamine than normal. Along with dopamine, higher levels of serotonin come into play, further effecting brain function and blood flow. This is where it becomes difficult. Is it the nicotine, or the dopamine, that actually is triggering side effects of withdrawal? Could we use a dopamine supplement in replacement to negate physical ramifications?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread