Status
Not open for further replies.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
So I decided to rip out the coil and stainless steel mesh wick from my AGA-T2 today. I appreciate that a SS mesh wick lasts a long time once you get everything working properly, but setting it up was just more of an effort than I wanted to make. I also wanted to increase the resistance of the coil on it so I could use it on my VAMO. Wrapping 30ga Kanthal around a 1.16" drill bit and feeding some cotton through the coil into the tank produced this, at 1.9Ω:

P1010143_small.jpg

I made sure the coil and wick were saturated enough to fire it safely without burning the cotton, and:

P1010146_small.jpg

I filled the tank with some White Rabbit 12mg and vaped it five times, and quickly developed a nic headache. This thing is an absolute vapor machine; 6mg eliquid is going to be in my upcoming orders for sure. I was a little worried that I put too much cotton through the coil and that it would start to choke but I just vaped it again a few times and it's wicking perfectly. The flavor is miles better than the SS mesh that I had built. The only downside is that if I am facing my monitor when I vape it I need to wait for the clouds to clear before I can read again. Big thumbs up.

Tried it, and I'm liking it a lot!! I modified it just a little though. Instead of cutting the top tail off like you did, I left it a little long and tucked it around the center post. It'll mop up the juice that settles on the metal floor, and around the screws. It'll absorb juice coming off the coil, and then send it right back on top of it. This most likely would be the closest thing to dripping - without actually dripping.

Results:: Powerful flavor and taste with a strong nic rush. Very impressed! I'll try it for a couple of days.

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
How do you guys feel about 26 gauge kanthal A1 for micos? I just got some in the mail and figured I would set something up in my trident. I guess I should go for 11 or 12 wraps?

I prefer a 9 wrap of 26 nichrome. Faster heat-up than kanthal and better flavor IMO.

Sent from the zoo using Tapatypo 2

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
A little off the discussion right now but check this out. Found this cotton in a vitamin bottle. It's from a melatonin bottle so it has no smell to it. I burn tested and it is cotton, it has long straight strands almost like hair. Its more uniform than cotton balls maybe like rolled cotton, not sure havent got any yet. What do you guy think I'm going to try on my next rebuild. It looks really easy to work with.

null_zps010c564b.jpg

Edit to add - spring valley melatonin new bottle from walmart. (If I could stop vaping at night I may not need it,lol)
edit to add - this has been determined to be viscous/ rayon

Last edited:

player one

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
cali
A little off the discussion right now but check this out. Found this cotton in a vitamin bottle. It's from a melatonin bottle so it has no smell to it. I burn tested and it is cotton, it has long straight strands almost like hair. Its more uniform than cotton balls maybe like rolled cotton, not sure havent got any yet. What do you guy think I'm going to try on my next rebuild. It looks really easy to work with.

I thought it was smoke at first lol. Definitely try it and let us know how it goes.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
lol...I had to try that silly ribbon coil..Tinhat? Tinman, Tintin..?:blink:

Its almost impossible to get ribbon to keep its shape in a perfectly symmetrical cylinder. Every time I had it perfect, then glowed the wire with out the drill bit, it deformed. So the result is a slightly overlapping coil..but...but...but...I' gotta say, it vapes really well.

Not the prettiest girl in the class.... (.5mm ribbon, 5/64th drill bit, 1.4 ohms)

Ribbon 5mm 14ohm mini.jpg

Mozzer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Rohnert Park CA, USA
I prefer a 9 wrap of 26 nichrome. Faster heat-up than kanthal and better flavor IMO.

I concur :) It demands proper wicking for sure, due to its fast heat up and potentially high temperatures. Mine are coming out to 0.6Ω so that's a bit of power on them with a fresh battery.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
lol...I had to try that silly ribbon coil..Tinhat? Tinman, Tintin..?:blink:

Its almost impossible to get ribbon to keep its shape in a perfectly symmetrical cylinder. Every time I had it perfect, then glowed the wire with out the drill bit, it deformed. So the result is a slightly overlapping coil..but...but...but...I' gotta say, it vapes really well.

Not the prettiest girl in the class.... (.5mm ribbon, 5/64th drill bit, 1.4 ohms)

View attachment 253830

quit'cher lollygaggin' and playin' around! BACK TO WORK!!!

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
1/32" id, 26 ga kanthal, 8 wrap, boiled cotton yarn
IMG_3725_zps2ab5f38d.jpg

IMG_3727_zps5e13ec41.jpg

I used one strand of the cotton yarn, and my 1/32" flat head screwdriver, didn't think it would wick well enough but fortunately I was wrong its wicking great and tastes better than any of my other builds on this atty.

there you go... 1/32 and good flavor.that would be about .55mm - yeah getting that wick through is a thing eh? tried cotton ball yet?

card

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
TX
there you go... 1/32 and good flavor.that would be about .55mm - yeah getting that wick through is a thing eh? tried cotton ball yet?

Here is my last build with 28ga and 3/64" id, with a cotton ball, it didn't taste good and didn't wick as well as the yarn cotton for some reason.
e5fa182b-68bd-46b0-975e-4062482908e3_zps068f5c31.jpg

Actually getting the wick through wasn't hard I just pulled appart the yarn, took out one rolled strand out of the 4, rolled the end in my fingers and fed it in, then grabbed it with tweezers and pulled it through. Its not a tight fit, if I had used 2 strands it wold have been a real tight squeeze. I've tried it before and the flavor wasn't nearly as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread