Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
Quick recap. Probably nothing you all haven't read.

1) You definitely need to clean it well. I left mine soaked in soap water for half hour. But it still tasted like metal burn diesel. After a few tanks of puff and reject followed by complete cleanse, it seems to be "broken" in. I think some amount of machine oil was still stuck in the screw channel and crevices.

2) The juice wells MUST be filled with cotton or you'll get leakage from top fill. I even taped the entire AFC ring but it still leaked like a cheerleader virgin after top fill. If you still see gaps or open space in the wells, stuff a bit of loose cotton in there.

3) If it leaks, it'll definitely run the entire AFC ring as the rubber seal is above the air intake holes. This will cause juice to run all over the top of your mod, not just out the air holes.

4) If you want to pack more juice with top fill, take out top cap B, fill the tank. Then continue to top off until juice almost reaches top of chimney pipe. (When bottom fill, juice fills all the way above the top cap A, this is why it holds more)

5) The allen wrench is cheap soft metal. Buy a replacement if you can. (.9mm size) Mine rounded the edge off and temporary fix was to dremel or cut off the bad tip. You'll have a "fresh" allen wrench again. If your screw is stripped, one method to get out is to put a dab of glue or epoxy on the allen, then insert in the screw. Wait til it dries off and unscrew.

6) Last, make sure your retainer square screw nut is flat-side down. I inverted this thing thinking the bevel side was to fit the top cap center hole. This will leave a 1mm gap between top cap A and B and you'll see the rubber seal.

See schematic below if you're unfamiliar with your parts.
http://i.imgur.com/b8dNt7m.jpg

Cheers

I did all of this the same and then I came to number 6. I've been turning that nut with the bevel down. As you I thought it was to fit and secure the gap around the primary top cap and chimney. Are you sure this is right, and what issue did you have with it on the other way that you don't have now. I've all but retired my Cthulhu after getting the billow V2 yesterday. I think the Cthulhu is a better tank for flavor but I've just had too many issues with it.

If you saw the difference in the build quality between the Billow V2 and the Cthulhu you would be amazed. I wish Ephro built this tank, the issues we have all commented on would not be present.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
I have yet to find anything "perfect" in the vape world. Everything made by man is flawed at some point. I think we have to work with what we are given, besides I dont mind doing some modifications myself anyway. Part of the enjoyment if you ask me.

I agree with you to a point, but in todays world of precision machining capability, there is no excuse for a chimney screw not to thread on with out having to fiddle with it for 5 minutes every time. Aside from all the other little issues this tank seems to have. It's all QC issues, the design is awesome.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
I agree with you to a point, but in todays world of precision machining capability, there is no excuse for a chimney screw not to thread on with out having to fiddle with it for 5 minutes every time. Aside from all the other little issues this tank seems to have. It's all QC issues, the design is awesome.
I think a change in manufacturer could easily solve that problem. Gearbest is selling these authentic for about19 bucks right now. Maybe cthulhu mods is trying to get rid of the inventory with crap machining to make way for the v2.

BennyAdeline

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Los Angeles
I have yet to find anything "perfect" in the vape world. Everything made by man is flawed at some point. I think we have to work with what we are given, besides I dont mind doing some modifications myself anyway. Part of the enjoyment if you ask me.

I also enjoy "figuring it out" and "tinkering".

I've vaped for 3+ years. Any headache the machining on the Cthulhu pales in comparison to the hell that was clearomizers and carto tanks :-x

While this RTA has it's issues, I get 0 leaking and a consistent GOOD vape from it. It's like dripping without having to monitor wick saturation. I will buy v2, but v1 will stay in the rotation.

My wife uses a subtank mini...the hot new RTA. It feels like trying to suck a grape through a straw lol. I'll take my Cthulhu any day, even if I have to fiddle with it

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
I also enjoy "figuring it out" and "tinkering".

I've vaped for 3+ years. Any headache the machining on the Cthulhu pales in comparison to the hell that was clearomizers and carto tanks :-x

While this RTA has it's issues, I get 0 leaking and a consistent GOOD vape from it. It's like dripping without having to monitor wick saturation. I will buy v2, but v1 will stay in the rotation.

My wife uses a subtank mini...the hot new RTA. It feels like trying to suck a grape through a straw lol. I'll take my Cthulhu any day, even if I have to fiddle with it
I have the subtank mini as well. I have dedicated that to nickle builds and use the cthulhu for the kanthal higher wattage builds.

nosmoke12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Does anybody else just take off both top cap pieces to refill this tank? I mean the smaller cap right after the drip tip and the cap right after that. I can never seem to have the patience to mess with just the smaller cap. Also when you all invert the tank after filling do you open the airflow while inverted, before or open it after it's right side up again?

BennyAdeline

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Does anybody else just take off both top cap pieces to refill this tank? I mean the smaller cap right after the drip tip and the cap right after that. I can never seem to have the patience to mess with just the smaller cap. Also when you all invert the tank after filling do you open the airflow while inverted, before or open it after it's right side up again?

I twist off both...way easier.

I open the air flow after inverting and turning back over. No leakage.

Reactions: nosmoke12

BennyAdeline

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Los Angeles
@BennyAdeline, thanks I'll try opening while it's inverted next time I fill up, which won't be too long cause this thing is thiiirsttyyyy, which I am more than okay with.

It murders juice and is worthy of every drop! I was a little worried about my nic consumption...but you only live once, right? :vapor:

nosmoke12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
It murders juice and is worthy of every drop! I was a little worried about my nic consumption...but you only live once, right? :vapor:

That's the way I look at it hahah, 24mg on single coil setups like my Lemo Drop, 18mg in my cthulhu and drippers :vapor: which is usually a good deterrent against friends and such wanting to try my setup more than once :lol:

kryptonicrxn

Jun 13, 2013
US
...Are you sure this is right, and what issue did you have with it on the other way that you don't have now... t.

Yes, bevel up is correct per the schematic I attached. It'll allow the circular protrusion on the flat side to fit into top "steel tube" and the nut's bevel mates with top cap B. Plus, that's how it goes per the schematic.

Differences between the two, performance wise nothing, really. But if inverted, top cap B wont fit flat against top cap A and I could see the rubber o-ring.

Last edited:
Reactions: nosmoke12

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
Yes, bevel up is correct per the schematic I attached. It'll allow the circular protrusion on the flat side to fit into top "steel tube" and the nut's bevel mates with top cap B. Plus, that's how it goes per the schematic.

Differences between the two, performance wise nothing, really. But if inverted, top cap B wont fit flat against top cap A and I could see the rubber o-ring.

OK, thanks, I'll look to assemble it that way next time. I have not noticed a non flush fit either way, but right is right.

BennyAdeline

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Well, I've got a second Cthulhu on the way...now I got figure out which mod to buy to put it on :ohmy:

Buying a good hex tool really changed the game with this atty. It really is the perfect (for now) on the go & at work device. I'm still dripping when chilling at home (habit probably), but a second Cthulhu would give me more flavor options...and keep my wife from draining my tank all the time :-x

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
Well, I've got a second Cthulhu on the way...now I got figure out which mod to buy to put it on :ohmy:

Buying a good hex tool really changed the game with this atty. It really is the perfect (for now) on the go & at work device. I'm still dripping when chilling at home (habit probably), but a second Cthulhu would give me more flavor options...and keep my wife from draining my tank all the time :-x

Strange....I love it when my wife drains my tank! lol

Could you follow up when you get the new Cthulhu with build quality impressions and serial number. I've got number 2012 and the machining on my tank just outright stunk.

BennyAdeline

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Strange....I love it when my wife drains my tank! lol

Could you follow up when you get the new Cthulhu with build quality impressions and serial number. I've got number 2012 and the machining on my tank just outright stunk.

Haha. I need to choose my words better.

I'll keep you updated.

Azarias

May 25, 2015
Illinois
Top filled with a measured syringe today to see how much juice goes on that way. Turns out I can only get about 1.75ishMl in via top filling, so I'm using WAY less juice than I thought.
What?????

Damn and I just rewicked the Cthulhu. I should have measured myself. 1.75ish sounds .... I don't know. What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread