Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
It would have been extremely easy to make "kits" that the customer could then put together at home. Claiming this would have been rare? Ummm, no. Would have been a perfect loophole to exploit.
You do a good job carrying their water. I could similarly argue that coca cola should be sold to adults only because a 12 YO might buy some and spike it with his father's rum. Which I'm sure happens every day. Laws based on what might happen is tyranny.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
It would have been extremely easy to make "kits" that the customer could then put together at home. Claiming this would have been rare? Ummm, no. Would have been a perfect loophole to exploit.
In addition, if a kit that included concentrated nic were made up then the nic would be controlled as a tobacco product. The nic free juice is just a simple mix of consumer products available anywhere. The justification for controlling nic free juice is quite poor except they want to and they can and they dare you to fight it

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I said something like this before but I can't find the post. The FDA is being pretty dumb with their regs. The "foundational approach" is inherently flawed because the foundation appears quite structurally weak right out of the gate. Foundations are supposed to strongly support future construction. It's just not the case here. They can't even coherently answer the most basic but important questions and we're just getting started.

You build a strong foundation when you wish to support future construction. Why go to all that trouble when you're hoping to make the construction go away?

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
In addition, if a kit that included concentrated nic were made up then the nic would be controlled as a tobacco product. The nic free juice is just a simple mix of consumer products available anywhere. The justification for controlling nic free juice is quite poor except they want to and they can and they dare you to fight it
And don't forget... Although you might think otherwise now, the FDA has no authority over what you do in your bedrooms and kitchens.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Trying to explain their logic is not the same as defending it, or believing that it rings true.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Trying to explain their logic is not the same as defending it, or believing that it rings true.
My point was only that there is no loophole to close. What they are doing is quite illogical because they are trying to break new ground in stretching intended use of basic harmless and all FDA approved products to hold them to regulations not at all unlike pharmaceuticals. It is a stretch I hope some court overthrows but I'm not optimistic

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
My point was only that there is no loophole to close. What they are doing is quite illogical because they are trying to break new ground in stretching intended use of basic harmless and all FDA approved products to hold them to regulations not at all unlike pharmaceuticals. It is a stretch I hope some court overthrows but I'm not optimistic
Well, that IS why they redefined intended use last year. These things need to be challenged.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Or, the Warning may be a User Alert that using the Cap in one orientation does Not Provide any CRP.
I think zoidMan might get the chicken dinner here.

unless, as has been discussed multiple times on this forum(facepalm) people see that as a possible workaround to the regs. Shops sell 0nic, you add your own.
This is exactly what I'm going to do when I go back to using nicotine.
I'm going to buy zero nicotine liquid and add my own nicotine.

Most of the liquids you buy have WAY too much flavor anyway, so all is good.
As for DIY, I'll do everything I can to avoid it, and will only go there kicking and screaming.
:laugh:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I think zoidMan might get the chicken dinner here.

This is exactly what I'm going to do when I go back to using nicotine.
I'm going to buy zero nicotine liquid and add my own nicotine.

Most of the liquids you buy have WAY too much flavor anyway, so all is good.
As for DIY, I'll do everything I can to avoid it, and will only go there kicking and screaming.
:laugh:
The idea of regulating based on intended use is pretty ridiculous, but the idea that some do intend to use it that way is not.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The idea of regulating based on intended use is pretty ridiculous, but the idea that some do intend to use it that way is not.
While I want to agree, I'm not sure I can.
I don't know that there are more than a few hundred folks that fit that category.

I might use it that way in the future...
But keep in mind that I am an outlier when it comes to most things vaping.

--I may never have been addicted to nicotine
--I no longer CURRENTLY even use nicotine anymore
--I love dripping and have never found it to be a hassle
--I go through less than 2ml per day
--I am going to be the last human on earth using a 510 atomizer
--I don't need clouds
--I don't believe nicotine by itself is all that addictive
--I fully intend to use nicotine again in the future

I try my best to understand the rest of you though.
:)

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Intended use, what a crock. It's like in that FDA webinar that I watched where that one lady only gave the actual wording in the Deeming of "intended use" to answer any question thrown at her. It was worthless double talk babble aimed at not answering anything. I can't repeat the explicates here that I muttered every time she talked.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I don't know that there are more than a few hundred folks that fit that category.

I do, but keep in mind that I am an outlier when it comes to most things vaping.

--I don't need clouds

I would have agreed with you previously, but apparently there are swaths of vapers who think this is normal, since their shops have been doing this for them.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD

I might use it that way in the future...
But keep in mind that I am an outlier when it comes to most things vaping.

--I don't need clouds

The important point is that intended use is a very dangerous and unprecedented intrusion into our lives and homes. Regulating what we do with previously approved products we buy

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I would have agreed with you previously, but apparently there are swaths of vapers who think this is normal, since their shops have been doing this for them.
Are you talking about shops adding it for them?
And am I talking about customers adding it themselves?

I may be getting confused here.
So I just want to get us back on the same page.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
The regulations seems to cover the "act" of vaping whether or not you're using nicotine. The only time it's okay for white fluffy floaty stuff coming from your mouth is during cold weather.

The OTC nicotine NRT's are okay to use any time, any where, and however long you want. Their main advantage to the FDA is you can't see them being used for the most part........Plus, of course, the increase of the pharmaceuticals' bottom lines.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The regulations seems to cover the "act" of vaping whether or not you're using nicotine. The only time it's okay for white fluffy floaty stuff coming from your mouth is during cold weather.

The OTC nicotine NRT's are okay to use any time, any where, and however long you want. Their main advantage to the FDA is you can't see them being used for the most part........Plus, of course, the increase of the pharmaceuticals' bottom lines.
[/THREAD]
[/FORUM]

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Are you talking about shops adding it for them?
And am I talking about customers adding it themselves?

I may be getting confused here.
So I just want to get us back on the same page.
Yes, and Yes. Did I Clear that Up?

sorry, little joke.
I'm saying, if a shop has been selling people 0 nic and adding nic for them for years, it's not hard for me to imagine them continuing to sell them 0 nic and nic base, or just selling the 0 nic, and then the customers finding their own nic base.

I'm not saying it makes sense as a basis for regulation, just that it's not completely outside the realm of probability.

Users who are viewing this thread