Status
Not open for further replies.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
If he's only smoking 6 a day, then just try 3 - 5 mg iin unflavored. Don't go to flavor unless he wants it, but try the unflavored first.
don't think I'd go that low starting out since higher nic helped a lot of us getting off the cigs, since it's really not known how many he's still smoking. But that's just my opinion. I'd suggested 12 the other day. Not too high, not too low.

Once she found a flavour she loved, she quit smoking on the spot and has been smoke free for over 4 months. Turned it she hates creamy vanilla and I put it in almost all of my DIYs.
That's wonderful!! What flavor did she end up liking?

The particular problem with spinal surgery is that smoking reduces the blood supply to the spine, more so than to other parts of the body. And the culprit isn't the nicotine. According to my surgeon it is the CO. So vaping isn't a problem and the nic level wasn't relevant. That may not be the case with your friend.
I was thinking this same thing the other day, that the nic might not be the issue, but didn't mention it because of what you said, that so many docs still either don't know what vaping is, or have swallowed the whole "it's at least as bad as cigs, or worse" line.

Well those Special Edition ML Class are out and on the way.
Kewl!! Congrats.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I don't have the answers you are looking for, but I can and will send out thoughts and prayers for your friend.

Kad, thank you, it's much appreciated and know it will mean a lot to him. :wub:

I just couldn't figure out what it was......didn't look like a cup, but I do see it now. For myself, I just drink coffee......good and strong.

oh wow that stinks

Nice pics. A lot of folks are really liking those. I wonder if they have a collapsible spring in case of short.

Actually you have two of those missions........ the mod..........then the rm2 I sent ya to put on it. lol Did you ever try out your owl thingy? FT also has bottles for those for about a buck. Would definitely get a few of those as well. Was hoping those might fit the Reos, but someone told me that a friend of theirs said they don't.

I'm so thrilled she's doing so well with it this time. Has she totally quit smoking, or still having a few? Either way I'm thrilled for her!

Oh wow hun......If he's only smoking a few a day, I'd say start him at 12mgs nic and see if that will do it since you don't have much time to wean him down. If that doesn't cut it, maybe 15. Hopefully he'll like the blackberry, but I can send you some flavoring if you need it. ((((((((tutu))))))))

sorry you're going through so much hun!!

@Kenna the 7 leaves leg's suggested might be great. Also Matt and a lot of other folks swear by vaping zone's "real cig" flavoring. Many say it's as close to marlboro light as you can get. I smoked marlb mostly but also smoke VS for quite awhile, full flavor though on both.

He says he's only smoking a few a day. I used to be a smoker desperately trying to quit and too ashamed to fess up to the full extent when I failed. He nearly died from the last illness/surgery. He was flown out in the middle of the night from our hospital to a major medical hospital in the middle of the night where he had several emergency surgeries. I think he had a couple more after that. There were several other patients at the same hospital at the time with the same problem. They all died except for him. It really shook him up. He went back to smoking. From all the decades I tried to quit, I get it. Without ecigs, I would have done the same thing, self-loathing doesn't make a dent.

Thank you for the offering of flavors, that's so kind of you. :wub: I can get them, I just can't have them here tomorrow or the next day (he's pretty wiped out right now). Hopefully he will take to it and I'll be back asking for recommendations. Better yet, he'll join and ask while exploring what's out there.

Now of course this is only a suggestion, but I would say for a quick transition it needs to resemble smoking as much as possible. Tobacco flavors with a cherry or brandi to give it a sweet twist... As far as nic level - start at 18 and reduce by 3 each week - you are down to 3 after 6 weeks... Desert Ship was my go to tobacco flavor for quite some time...

I wish but it's not doable right now. Never used tobacco flavors but that may be just the thing for him. I don't even have any in a forgotten stash somewhere. He may need WTAs, I don't know. We'll explore it on down the road if he even listens in the first place. My greatest hope is that it will "take," he will join ECF to explore the options and join the porch. That's right after the surgery is completely successful, naturally.

If he's only smoking 6 a day, then just try 3 - 5 mg iin unflavored. Don't go to flavor unless he wants it, but try the unflavored first.

The reason I didn't want to do unflavored is because it is so dry here (<20%) and starting vaping really takes it out of you. I recently had problems with it switching to unflavored and putting in one drop of flavoring per 10ml of unflavored made a huge difference in the dry throat/lungs thing. I think I'll give him a batch of unflavored to mix with the flavored as he sees fit.

She'll have lots of support. She has a son, daughter, & sister who all vape. I'm the one more into the technicalities of it. The son does rebuild, but the daughter is strictly plug & play, which is where my sister will be. She has a high stress job, commutes about an hour one way in Houston traffic. When she gets home, she does the usual wifey things to unwind, & the computer gets used for netflix, pintrest. Anything to help her not think. She's a lot like I was. She's 13 years younger. She'll come to a place where it will cross her mind again, but pressuring her to quit will just turn her awau from it. She'll have to get there on her own. I want to get a couple of spiinners to stick back for her, so I can whip them out for her when that time comes! Voila!

Yup, unfortunately you can't make people switch to vaping. That's my current problem. I bought Spinners for the neighbor a while back, pulled them out yesterday and charged them up. Also use them when I travel. I now get them from FT for just under $7. Only downside is they take a very slow boat here due to them having an internal battery. It's not a big deal as long as you don't need them right away.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I think this post was agreeing to a low nic level. I apologize, I've been working on this for a while through "family" disruptions.

I had to go to 24mg to get over the infamous "hump." It was a complete OD for me but couldn't have done it otherwise. Once through that, I free fell through the nic levels. Understand, it was at least 25 years ago he told me he quit smoking. We used to drive through the forest like Cheech and Chong out to a work site. I haven't seen him smoke since even though I knew he did. He desperately wants to quit, just like I did, but can't. It's not his fault, it's the FDA approved crap in cigarettes that some of us have become irrecoverably dependent on. I'd love not to be tied to vaping but I'm neither healthy (medical records would prove that) or happy without it.

{{{{{{{{{{Tutu}}}}}}}}}}
For starters, what device is he going to be using? That would make a difference in the starting nic level. If it is possible to start him out with a device that allows for lower resistance (between 0.5-1.0Ω), that would allow your starting nic level to be lower than if you were using a Nauty or something similar. Personally, I'd start him out with one of the newer devices that uses 0.5Ω plug and play coils. That should allow you to start the nic level somewhere around 6-10 mg/mL. As for flavoring, unflavored may not be bad for him, but if you want to go with the blackberry, try it at around 15% with a little sweetener added (1-2%).

I truly hope that you can come up with something that will help him, and we're here if you need anything at all. I'm sure that, if need be, one of us can find a mod kit or something to PIF, and we can send flavorings or anything else you might need, also. Just let us know. :):wub:

:cry: :w00t: I left out the most important part. Hit like bombshell and I went all noob. Thank you for your advice, it's sound but...

I'm giving him a couple of Spinners I bought him after his first surgeries but never had the opportunity to give him. Also a Davide tank (think first generation PT tank) with 1.8 coils. It's what I have on short notice and a step up from what I started with.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think overwhelming him with technology right off the bat under the circumstances is a good idea. I've made a point of vaping in front of him for years but he's never even asked about it. I don't know if he's brainwashed or doesn't care. Maybe he's just embarrassed about his past claims. It doesn't matter. At this point his life may well be on the line.

I don't have the equipment or knowledge to introduce him to better technology. If he takes to it, I can give him a ProVari 2.5. I also have a couple of Picos I've never tried but not the 18650s to go with them, I can order them if needed.

Actually, Portland OR gets more rain than Seattle... so unless you actually go out on the peninsula to the rain forest :)

All the above are good suggestions for your friend in need. Although I'd suggest starting at around 18.

I keep forgetting Seattle gets less rain. This winter we'll pull over while up there and see if we can catch it growing. :lol:

18mg seems a bit strong since he's still a bit frail. He's alone all day while his wife is at work. I had medical problems when I first started vaping and, after surgery, nearly passed out cold. Luckily my husband was home at the time but it still scares me if he hadn't been. If he needs more nic, I can mix it and be up there in less than 15 minutes.

From reading the responses, my gut tells me about 10mg. I can up it or dilute in 15 minutes, he just has to be willing to work with it.

@englishmick, that was one of the best, most moving, posts I've seen on ECF. Deliberately left off at yours to get back to tomorrow. I'm really glad your surgery went well, can't even imagine. The surgeries are very different but the reason for not smoking are dead on. I will print out your response and give it to him in hope it inspires him.

It almost 1:30 am, I'm dead tired, I'm most grateful to you all for your replies.

About the fire: It looks like they got it and it won't be spreading to our side of the canyon. No homes have been lost, just a lot of wildlife habitat due to human negligence.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
That's wonderful!! What flavor did she end up liking?
It was a grape candy ejuice. I ended up making a version she liked better which she vapes daily. I also make her a cinnamon Danish/sugar cookie recipe that she loves.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I'm giving him a couple of Spinners I bought him after his first surgeries but never had the opportunity to give him. Also a Davide tank (think first generation PT tank) with 1.8 coils. It's what I have on short notice and a step up from what I started with.

Sounds like a good starter kit! :thumb:

And I do agree, keeping it as close as possible to plug and vape is best for starting out.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
:cry: :w00t: I left out the most important part. Hit like bombshell and I went all noob. Thank you for your advice, it's sound but...

Maybe it's just me but I don't think overwhelming him with technology right off the bat under the circumstances is a good idea. I've made a point of vaping in front of him for years but he's never even asked about it. I don't know if he's brainwashed or doesn't care. Maybe he's just embarrassed about his past claims. It doesn't matter. At this point his life may well be on the line.

I don't have the equipment or knowledge to introduce him to better technology. If he takes to it, I can give him a ProVari 2.5. I also have a couple of Picos I've never tried but not the 18650s to go with them, I can order them if needed.

A couple Spinners and a Davide will be a great little starter kit! 1000X better than what I started with. ;) That you have it on hand is even better! :D

To be clear, I wasn't trying to suggest any of the complex new devices, just a simple sub-ohm setup to allow for lower starting nic percentages. Something similar to the Joye eGo AIO kits. Simple, one button, fill and vape kinda thing, but it has the power to safely run a 0.6Ω coil. These are actually cheap enough that I'd like to pick up a couple as spares, hand-outs, and/or backup/vapocalypse gear. ;)

18mg seems a bit strong since he's still a bit frail. He's alone all day while his wife is at work. I had medical problems when I first started vaping and, after surgery, nearly passed out cold. Luckily my husband was home at the time but it still scares me if he hadn't been. If he needs more nic, I can mix it and be up there in less than 15 minutes.

From reading the responses, my gut tells me about 10mg. I can up it or dilute in 15 minutes, he just has to be willing to work with it.

Glad hubby was home!! But yes, your logic sounds very good. Start him around 10mg, and adjust to his needs from there. Huge Hugs to you for doing all that you are to try to help him!!! :wub:

It almost 1:30 am, I'm dead tired, I'm most grateful to you all for your replies.

Hope you were able to get some much needed rest! :wub:

About the fire: It looks like they got it and it won't be spreading to our side of the canyon. No homes have been lost, just a lot of wildlife habitat due to human negligence.

Great news about the fire not spreading too close to you and that no homes were lost!! :thumbs: Hate that all the wildlife habitat was lost, though. :(

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
@FlamingoTutu - I'm a little late to the "party", but I was smoking PAD menthol ultra lights/menthol lights. I couldn't get above 12, even on TP equipment when I first started, so you're probably in a good ballpark. I pray that *HE* gets it into *HIS* head that this can work.

I have flavors, devices, toppers, whatever - I'll even overnight it to you if you think it might help.... Do you have even any mints or menthols? I've mixed up a very lightly-flavored spearmint for stealthing at work (mixed about 1-2%). If anyone smells anything, "I'm chewing a mint" ;) It's actually quite delightful, and keeps me from going postal during the day.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Well I'm starting on my flavors. Yikes
JtYm6SXG2LNYfuMAymmTcD9osHjlOcjkvdf-YXK1AOMuuATR-q2x7zJZFk3OOgedGr0XCkqibsjO52fyHE0kYSd6nrVO_iiroC3b3hHM4YycgRdprj-6gZwjAzDD1ErIKZTRLfq9n56wAzEU0SKuuQ-wS5IcFiN-NAxwNeiETPnW2hj45I63mbcHdwnniTt_wm38wftJNfC8YZE1n1JOa8o0saZKujmUgz7JGzxldFvu2h40BXu1nmFLh6p14HSGqiWGkcyoVz3j_JgOgYF1yq0VtsbLUFZ4-u0sOrTDZIcI1nwsqmT88RHLEYbP8Spk_CqXm17ynS6MmtwPsKWgZDoQKAEDtIxMuU92H1Z9Dblkxo4vipaNQISmi9OSoEyiMMMG7xEhEBwvJMhokw_cZe90hLlukRiaRrdoZJSCU9a6OaPDidh-Z0Cgbg2cNsFB7v-BwmKSEY15aVeLcEMhlD2ASQvWiaOT27EmTtOQw-g5cPN-dsvCZhloLNeoM2zHIgTNvquhReTW4zaVTVVF-_L6vu4jn6qZRj2l0uYPYjIBtOgnmuaoVMuuZDOKJTbwb2xvcFG4hlGLgcbKjxArj_FrXCvAIehgBcmnqZblC6qAwBsFSw=w508-h676-no

ULM3xzqlSbzPba2XueW3q3g83x1ZbhcS6icR8AlHdT7TngPoRFTv4v5EP73rQ0KSi3qx4mFK8Vx8MtqEqRiBtanpY3KGfeuI8r9bbfsnoUHWFzxSlghDK96Nt9vfsIjfEvFYzlj7lWeVGQ2k8sk_0ZToRTRrpYSrfoUMxnTdOgSJLlaRX4-7O637dlMFceYKQ5eDS0M5bpsgJ_hTFUGIKHpr_Ve2I16a4KMj0WQKGWr9Wwgt80K6LEEL_MiXXmVCnAEFuIJVaFum3kBsp0LFxJAUNWtoBJ__-pebtSVv4sF8I-5olUL1lH6lxZ_X12ZLMiaaCpvZs-N89vY_imvCXp9cQDouuso8GnAwUtEgRQ2cr1uB6eAkOKE2-JKF3Bfp6a5Lf-fLZ-DuE4vO6fi16M-y82VQD4yEhU6sfdqIIqtA5m_smLkqIziu6HlNz9rcU1drWg3EC7xGN3PjtD-_xyjzeKNLQ957x12jStVhv4CVETJYEgf7ShPCRoUT2VqBhxsvjh3MbT_93ZvuBPx5YTdi41uUDXUowBfQmZDYt4Xu2rgtUI5QyEPEq88LeRBhJQ_QFo9bJfdTE-mbJcOC1b3Y2CVM03f_Fehs8DDRZItfXIVyHA=w508-h676-no

6KkWKg8x1Les8vpmqXhYDSZicv1ovWW30km95Rdqozi_1JTIhzWMwSq2Evk5Q9zfKIss6rmXOx9two-6Wqb7HfzCwO2U-Dw_xZ41sU_-v81g3qEiYi3UfHBsfGKLpIMUrpzFxmMNL0J3Y86FZ3MZi8Y9KtSul4gmtRMxCbQbET_tvKyfIi35No5O6GgKSx9N6yfo-WUWcmDDK7Mh76qvYdn0y2jEzcw88QPyyGuj_Hzr3kKnc-1KevRcHBbqdMAwaQNq0BzoAiB-ac3Ro80TQyC14bSlHZitDfUgHBfhv_REa0M4UUgJ6lqqYOEFyYH0VCHQoREAR0Dp0nB_2QxRSN5mqnSOdgesS7n5LsviNY6ZCWnnT7YpC0owihKG49USNt-A5RjQGJ2vzZ8ZtGOmocdYzXKCEjuDOVL3LUiqNzNjhNPyjMfro94ZhUfnxTpUty7r4OVeyAULsHk9fH1NZX-22C50H3D2VVivJLXP-jfpjMgOogrWpLarlMdOnCz4gvm0McZBngUnH7B0kWu_mMxjJbJKgP-PPjE9Whb7DWqb4mZ4QswkJSg6LuwnCMtwnnNBoZoWfAD9-cYpUc5XuLZ7JhGjK4_PlmJEZQMiRL6vUdNrFA=w508-h676-no

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Good Evening dwellers!

I just read before the 40% Tax has bean repealed and it is now going to be a 5 cents an ML Tax in Pennsylvania.
Read where? I thought there was a Rep working on a revision Bill to submit to the Legislature.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Good Evening dwellers!

I just read before the 40% Tax has bean repealed and it is now going to be a 5 cents an ML Tax in Pennsylvania.

Nope ... It has not been repealed. A new 5 cents/ml juice tax just left a committee to replace it. Don't know if it has a chance of making it.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread