Who will deeming effect in the vaping community?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
who will deeming effect? i use a cigalike when i leave the house, don't take my provari with me already had one stolen. I use a vuse cigalike and when i went to grab a couple of refills i noticed that vuse now has a vape pen. tanks are sold as disposables. Do you think these closed containers per say, will survive the deemings? I have stocked up, but nowhere near the level of years upon years like many on here have. I am good for about 3yrs but after that? BT is smart and i assume they are playing their cards accordingly. They must think they will be exempt from the deeming by staying with closed containers. Just wondering what you guys are thinking because i can't read the deeming, way too over my head. Legal jargon just makes my head want to explode. I read doctor scribble all day long being in the medical field, but the deeming, just makes my head spin

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
It most likely will effect smokers who would like to quit to save money. Refills and pods are cost just as much as cigarettes.

the only time i use cigalikes is when i am away from home. I leave my provari at home in safe keeping.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I have enough RTAs and mods that take batteries to last for a couple of decades. Also enough nic base frozen to last a very long time. I will get more if it looks like they will be taken off the market.

I don't think wire or wick material will ever be taken away as how could they? Flavorings and PG/VG will be around too as they have many other uses.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Could you put a liter in the fridge?

You could, but it will not provide the lifespan to the extent a freezer would. Still, better than not. If space is an issue, Heartland sells their 1 L nic in an opaque (forgot the plastic class but a reasonable one) rectangular form bottle. You can arrange that in a freezer to take up less space than a bunch of round glass bottles. Is that as good an option as well sealed glass? Maybe not, but again, beats the alternative if that's the only option available.

As to what remains on the market over the long term due to Deeming ergs, I'm pretty comfortable saying a closed system like Vuse will survive.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
who will deeming effect?

The Deeming Regulations will affect everyone that the FDA has jurisdiction over unless we continue to advocate and do our part to put a stop to it! Advocate any way you can!

upload_2017-10-7_9-48-7.jpeg

Sign the Petition

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Deeming will affect everyone, and I do try to keep on top of things but it is rather dizzying sometimes. I know I should be okay but I'm thinking I may stock up on another gallon of nic at 100 mg/ml as some of my stuff is of lower strength and I find that the 100 mg/ml is going to last a lot longer (and take up less space, though the husband and I are not hurting for freezer space. I plan to wait a bit, though.

It's really hard to say what *exactly* is going to happen, as the current FDA was briefly positive toward vaping and then *crickets*. There is some nice research coming out to support harm reduction in vaping (as well as safety) so I am hoping that will make a difference as well..... I believe we have SOME time before we find out what will be the final outcome, but I'm not sure how long.... 2 years is the GIVEN time frame but that can change. It does make me glad I stocked up, and I may certainly stock up more....

Anna

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
@ExtremeDooty and @DeAnna2112

To say, how deeming will affect the community as a whole, is rather a misnomer as it will affect each part of the vaping community differently.

Likely, YOUR vape gear that you prefer; ie.; cigalikes, will not be adversely affected perse. All of what you need to vape and stay off cigarettes will continue to be available to you, if that is your specific concern.

Here is the community concern with vaping.

#1) That our favored or specific devices become unavailable to us in the future, after the full implementation of the new regulations.

There is a high cost involved, as you likely well know, for a manufacturer to get FDA approval. SO much so, that many smaller manufactures will likely not seek FDA approval, and instead simply sell in markets overseas that do not have such a high cost involved in obtaining that approval.

On top of that, we don't know what specifics the government is looking for to approve. The FDA has speculated that out of the over 1600 vaping products on the market today, that only around 75 - 100 of those will actually become FDA approved when all is said and done. (This does include e juice as well as mods and tanks)

Therefore, some products will someday simply be gone, and the manufacturers either shut their doors, or stop selling to the US market.

This matters to those who have found their unicorn so to speak, the absolute one thing that keeps them off the smokes. For those who are fluid in what type of device they are happy with, it wont affect them as much as they can simply switch the brand of device they use.

#2) That costs will certainly rise. Not only on our favored mods, but also on our e juice. First, manufacturers have to cover the cost not only of initial FDA approval as well as continued necessity to fulfill all FDA standards, but higher costs due to increased taxation of not only our devices but also our e juice.

Regulations have less to do with saving anyone (as not one life has been lost due to vaping, yet multitudes saved) and more to do with inroads to an absolute control over the taxation of these products. Taxes are what they are losing out on as it stands, when a smoker switches to vaping. They need to recoup those economic losses, and turn them into either gains, or at least an even keel where concerns governmental income due to taxes.

E juice is a concern, as that is probably going to be fairly difficult to ascertain how to control and tax it.

HOWEVER, e juice will not go away, but one tank of e juice may someday be the equivalent cost-wise to a pack of cigarettes due to the regulations and taxation thereof. Which is also fine, unless your a tightwad. (which most of us here are in some forum or fashion.. lol)

Also, they might do things such as regulate flavors, as has been threatened, limiting the overall choice, which again is a concern to vapers who love their plethora of flavor choices. However, if your fine with a few basic flavors like strawberry or tobacco, then your probably safe as far as flavored e juice is concerned.

#3.) The biggest concern for many vapers is that things such as mechanical mods, which take more knowledge to operate and are not for the beginner nor the faint of heart, might simply never be able to get past the first approval. This area of vaping however, will likely never affect you personally.

However, this doesn't mean that we don't want to protect this group from an overall ban of their favored products. The goal as vapers is to see people to get off the smokes, which are very deadly, and this group has found THEIR unicorn, and we hate to see anyone lose their right to choice due to government intrusion, as again, not one life has been lost to vaping, not even in this group.

Therefore, as vapers we like to advocate for every vaper, even if or when it might not affect us personally.

In conclusion, these are the concerns of the vaping community, and why you see people stocking up on their favorites, and making sure that no matter what they government does in the future, them and theirs will be able to vape as they are now, and at reasonable cost for the foreseeable future.

But vaping as a whole, will not simply go away. There wont be any kind of an all out ban, the market will simply be much more limited than we know it today, as well as more expensive due to state and federal taxation.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
This^^^^^^^. (Opinionated's post) It's not going to be a matter of no one will be able to vape, but vaping as it stands now will surely change. I joined here right before deeming and it did push me to get into DIY juice (and I'm so glad I did, I genuinely enjoy it, and it's pennies on the dollar) and to buy a stock of RTAs, wire, and wicking, as well as a coilbuilder's kit.

I also save my drop in Nautilus coils that are spent, as there is a video on rewicking them, and if I ever cannot obtain Nautilus coils legally, it will be worth my while to rebuild them at that point. I kind of feel like a bit of a hoarder over it, but it never hurts to be prepared.

I am a bit of a tightwad in the sense that I love keeping my costs as low as possible, so that I can indulge in my shinyitis (when I can) and try out many different mods and tanks. KNOWING that I can build coils (however imperfectly) and maintain a few RTA tanks (however imperfectly) and make e-juice (that I actually like) was a wonderful thing for me. I had some missteps along the way, but I have enough gear to last me for some time, if not indefinitely, and I like knowing that I'm secure....

Deeming will affect you in some ways, probably. I think those who don't go the DIY/RTA route will be more affected by pricing, but I believe many things will be obtainable, but more expensive due to taxation. I think the amount of time that vaping has gone WITHOUT being taxed just like the tobacco market is frankly astonishing, honestly. I plan to take advantage of that as much as I can, and I have no regrets about it.

Anna

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Deeming will affect all vapers and smokers.... but PG VG and Nic will still be available from traditional health and industrial or AG supply sources. As these products are not limited or originated for vaping....

Flavoring might be an issue... but there's always the same stuff packaged for food and drink flavoring.. we will just have to read labels more.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread