Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
I've seen it so many times.
I've just finished replying to it.

Nicotine is highly addictive

So, let me give everyone 3 points to consider.

FIRST: There is no single accepted definition of addiction.
..... My favorite definition is: when someone is so compelled to perform an action, or imbibe a substance that they will ignore common sense to the detriment of those around them.

so..

SECOND: Smoking is addictive
THIRD: vaping is NOT addictive

so we need a definition for wanting to do something and feeling compelled to do it when we don't harm those around us.

HABIT: a settled or regular tendency or practice, esp. one that is hard to give up.

Habit has a single accepted definition. I have a vaping habit. I have a nicotine habit.

so.. to help out those who perpetuate the myth that nicotine is addictive, let's all gather the resources that show exactly what nicotine is.
Lets leave out SMOKING nicotine, since most of us want to quit smoking (if you have not already)

CASAA:
FAQ: Nicotine (tobaccoharmreduction.org)

Does anyone else have resources to help combat this myth?

Orb Skewer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
Terra firma
In vaping terms I prefer to use the phrase 'Pleasurable Indulgence'.

Addiction ?
I dont believe in the word addiction either Ken, it is an adjective with no precise definition/s, sometimes (often) used mis-used as a label to denigrate a behaviour or societal malaise.

Some people say that Nicotine is not addictive, I would wholeheartedly agree, but I'm no expert-
This guy is,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdsN_vYZ3w8

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

THIRD: VAPING is NOT addictive

There is a Very Simple Test that Any Vaper can do to that does Not Rely on what Some Other persons says about Habits or Addiction or Dependency.

And that is: Before you go to sleep Tonight, put your PV on your Kitchen Table. And then tomorrow, go All Day without Using or Touching It.

If you go the Entire day without Feeling Any Different then when you Use your PV, you do Not have a Habit or Addiction or Dependency to e-Cigarettes.

But if you Don't Feel the Same.

Well, then you might want to Rethink what words like Habit or Addiction or Dependency mean and how they pertain to Your Situation.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
There is a Very Simple Test that Any Vaper can do to that does Not Rely on what Some Other persons says about Habits or Addiction or Dependency.

And that is: Before you go to sleep Tonight, put your PV on your Kitchen Table. And then tomorrow, go All Day without Using or Touching It.

If you go the Entire day without Feeling Any Different then when you Use your PV, you do Not have a Habit or Addiction or Dependency to e-Cigarettes.

But if you Don't Feel the Same.

Well, then you might want to Rethink what words like Habit or Addiction or Dependency mean and how they pertain to Your Situation.
Gotta disagree with you. I've gone an entire week without vaping and didn't really miss it. I vape because I enjoy the habit. And, yes it's a habit by the definition. :D

FEEDER

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Geordieland UK
I've seen it so many times.
I've just finished replying to it.

So, let me give everyone 3 points to consider.

FIRST: There is no single accepted definition of addiction.
..... My favorite definition is: when someone is so compelled to perform an action, or imbibe a substance that they will ignore common sense to the detriment of those around them.

so..

SECOND: Smoking is addictive
THIRD: VAPING is NOT addictive

so we need a definition for wanting to do something and feeling compelled to do it when we don't harm those around us.

HABIT: a settled or regular tendency or practice, esp. one that is hard to give up.

Habit has a single accepted definition. I have a vaping habit. I have a nicotine habit.

so.. to help out those who perpetuate the myth that nicotine is addictive, let's all gather the resources that show exactly what nicotine is.
Lets leave out SMOKING nicotine, since most of us want to quit smoking (if you have not already)

CASAA:
FAQ: Nicotine (tobaccoharmreduction.org)

There's a fourth to consider,
Is breathing a habit ?
Breathing is a need, vaping to me is a need, to be able to get through the day, still sane:D
Frank

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Gotta disagree with you. I've gone an entire week without vaping and didn't really miss it. I vape because I enjoy the habit. And, yes it's a habit by the definition. :D

I don't see that you are Disagreeing with me.

If you can go a week Without using an e-Cigarette, I don't see any Signs of what Most People would consider to be an Addiction or a Dependency.

What about the People that Can't?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I know that I will need it if left home. I am cautious at this point because I am only 80 days analog free and still get those urges. Maybe I would try this after a few more months. I think I am still addicted to analogs and this is my substitute.

The Last Thing You Want To Do is to Have Even ONE Cigarette Right Now.

As you Said, better to Leave the Self-Diagnoses Experiments to those who Feel they are Completely Over the Hump with Smoking.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
I don't see that you are Disagreeing with me.

If you can go a week Without using an e-Cigarette, I don't see any Signs of what Most People would consider to be an Addiction or a Dependency.

What about the People that Can't?

That word... Especially... Keeps it in the definition of habit.

I don't know exactly what you're trying to convey but nicotine is obviously highly addictive. You can spin it however you want to. If you can go a week without vaping then to you, it's simply a hobby.

For me it's the lesser evil of a powerful addiction.
if you HAVE to have it no matter the cost to other people, then, yes you ARE addicted, and should seek help. If you do NOT fall in that category, then it's an admittably strong habit.

For me, the 4-6 mg of nic I use is a way to control my mild depression without the very real and harmful side effects of prescription drugs.

ConradM

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Boise ID
That word... Especially... Keeps it in the definition of habit.

if you HAVE to have it no matter the cost to other people, then, yes you ARE addicted, and should seek help. If you do NOT fall in that category, then it's an admittably strong habit.

For me, the 4-6 mg of nic I use is a way to control my mild depression without the very real and harmful side effects of prescription drugs.

I should seek help? So basically anyone that can admit to being addicted to nicotine should seek help? What does that even mean?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

If ConradM should seek "Help", then He is Not Alone.

Because I Doubt that even 5% of the people here on the ECF can go 7 Days Without Vaping. Let alone 1.

LOL

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I don't know exactly what you're trying to convey but nicotine is obviously highly addictive. You can spin it however you want to. If you can go a week without vaping then to you, it's simply a hobby.

For me it's the lesser evil of a powerful addiction.

So many folks have been told so many times that nicotine is highly addictive but have they considered that it is NOT the nicotine that makes a person dependent on cigarettes.

I can only use myself as an example. I quit smoking the day I bought my first cig-a-like. I started this smoke free journey with 24mg liquid. Within a very short time that 24 was to much. Went down to 18 within a couple of months. Then to 16
I make my own liquids so have now reduced my normal strength down to 12/13mg and often have to cut even that in half because it is to much. My body tells me that it is to strong (start getting shaky and kinda nauseous). I personally feel like nicotine has added health benefits so I don't plan on ever going down to 0 nic but time will tell on that.

What was a dependence on smoking has now become a pleasurable habit for me.

Please consider that nicotine isn't the big bad wolf that we have been beat over the head with for all these years.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Darn. It's very hard to convey emotion in print, but I'm trying.
It's not a matter of going without. It's a matter of causing harm to other people to feed the addiction. If you are causing overt harm to other people, then, yes, Seek help.
If you neglect your spouse, children or job in order to get your "fix" of nicotine, then you have an addiction issue.
If not, I'm telling you that you have a habit.
The word addiction has negative connotations. THIS is the point I'm trying..
Apparently without any success at all..
To make.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have no idea what "myth" he's referring to.

I think what is Going On is to Ken_A, Nicotine Addiction is a Myth because he Doesn't Appear to be Addicted to it.

But that he doesn't see that Many People are Not Like Himself. And so to them, it might be a Completely Different story.

likeego

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Montreal, QC
I believe that nicotine and vaping is habit- forming, but in a non-harmful way. You will probably find if you try not to vape for a few hours or a day, it is on your mind and you want to do it again. I know that's how I am. But addiction does not have an accepted single definition and often refers to a harmful practice so in that sense nicotine itself may not fall under that definition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread