The Nicotine myth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I do believe, and have believed for a very long time, that there are more things in smoking tobacco that are highly addictive. When I was a smoker, as soon as my eyes opened I would have to get up and go start my coffee then light up a cigarette. As a vaper, I open my eyes, look at the clock, roll over and go back to sleep. I never did that as a smoker. Ever.

As a vaper, I am able to lower the nic content in the liquids I'm using. I could never cut back on how many a day I smoked.

Totally agreed. I'll go to bed with my vape stick nearby, but when I wake in the morning, it could be a good hour before I take a first puff. As a regular smoker, almost everything that is done is based around how many smokes can I get in before I get really busy (again), and then mentally planning for those.

One significant difference is that with a cigarette it is a defined unit, well known to a smoker. But with vaping, it is an endless stream that sure we may measure in ml's, but is so so secondary to thought process that surrounded 'how many do I have left in this pack?'

As someone who still chooses to smoke, that has carried over for me. I now will have a couple puffs and put it out. Which is part of reason I self identify as moderate smoker. It literally can take me 5 days to smoke 1 cigarette, and I can smoke 3 of those 5 days. Because of how strong the taste and how immediate the nic delivery is, I don't need to sit there for the 10 minutes to get what I came there to enjoy.

Yet, without vaping in the picture, I'm sure most everyone reading this knows it would be incredibly challenging for me to stick to just a couple puffs every few days and keep wanting to identify as a smoker. I've been doing it for a few months now, and been vaping over 2 years.

My main point here is that vaping dramatically changes how one approaches their desire to use nicotine and how one may go about feeding the habit/addiction.

There are psychological dependencies and physical dependencies that vaping addresses. The habit is the easiest one to pinpoint. If I'm just sitting around, vaping or smoking helped me relax. I don't know what it's like without either of those. I can't imagine my life just sitting and watching TV and having my hands in my lap, not doing anything. I must have been able to before I started smoking, I just don't remember doing nothing while sitting there.

This cracks me up, because of how honest and accurate it is. When I quit cold turkey my first time, I had this same exact concern going in. Like what the heck am I supposed to do with myself when I'm in a room? Just sit there? LOL.

Obviously, you adapt and learn to do without the constant holding something. At times, it can become addictive to see how long you can go without holding something. And now that I'm back to being part time smoker/full time vaper, I haven't lost sight of things I picked up from the days (and years) without.

One thing I used to notice often (but now just periodically) is how when I'm in a room with fellow humans, especially when we are facing each other (i.e. in a living room) is how often people have to cross some part of their body, and thus can't just sit there. Cross arms, cross legs, fold hands, cross ankles; it is rare where I observe a human not doing one of those when sitting down, having a conversation.

Likewise, if I go to party where adult beverages are being served, all those who are engaged in having an adult drink, absolutely must hold their cup at all times, and guys will almost always hold it around stomach level and gals will hold it at chest level. As I rarely drink and instead will have a soda or water, I like to observe this phenomenon occasionally. Humors me much.

The dependency/addiction is a bit harder to nail down. I don't know how many of you ever got the phantom smoke smell when you were at about or past the point for Needing a cigarette. During the workday, if I got super busy to take my self imposed scheduled break, my body sure let me know it was past time for that nic hit. I would smell a cigarette burning even in a non smoking building. I've had this happen once since I started vaping and that was after a year of vaping. I'm not quite sure there is no addiction to nic, but I believe that the addiction is not nearly as strong.

For me, when I was cold turkey there were 2 things that made me want to smoke. Whenever I saw someone light up in a movie, and make it look super cool/suave, I wanted to do that aspect of smoking again. Or there were times where I hadn't had a smoke for say 5 years, but had a dream the night before where I was convinced I had one just a few days ago, and when I woke up, I was feeling like I'm a smoker again. None of these 2 experiences led me back to becoming a smoker again.

When a smoker, the phantom smell thing would make me want one. But as a smoker, it was umpteen things that would be a trigger for me. I used to think the best smoke of the day was after a meal, and preferably a good meal at night (like steak dinner).

With vaping, all these things are out the window, cause of what I said near top of this post. It is more like endless stream of nicotine, even while I'm not doing it all the time. Just a different mindset as the 'unit of dosage' has kinda lost all meaning to me.

Can addictions vary in strength? Can an addiction lessen but still be present? If the addiction can lessen, is it still considered an addiction or is it then considered a dependency?

All good questions. I think it depends on who you ask and what their awareness is on the topic. For alcoholics, the prevailing wisdom is that one is never enough and thus the stigma of (full blown) addict is present even when not drinking (for years). For smoking, I think it is about the same, as I'm sure there are some reading this that think I'm playing a dangerous game maintaining a desire to be a moderate smoker.

I think it is very challenging for humans to understand how anyone could go from addict to moderation. Easy to understand how one could go from moderation to addiction, but not the other way around. I fully believe I've done this with smoking, and am now using it in true moderation. As vaping is in the picture, it's not too challenging to understand the how, but still... a bit challenging, because I simply no longer have those cravings for smoking that one (or most everyone) assumes comes with smoking, just by smoking a little. It is clearly not the substance in engineered logs that, in my case, has allowed me to maintain level of moderation. But a mindset, and one that is very empowering. I could walk away from smoking, and continue vaping, but I do truly enjoy smoking still sometimes and do not crave it. Of the 11 criteria from DSM, none would be at work in my use of smoking. And yet, I still smoke logs. Imagine that.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
It seems vaping works a lot more like a patch for me and has broken a lot of my "triggers." It's a continuous, low dose rather than 20, 15-minute nicotine "binges" a day. How many of us smoked the whole cigarette because we didn't want to "waste" it? Did all of us always need the nicotine from a whole cigarette to feel satisfied? Did many of us smoke a cigarette, not because we needed nicotine, but rather for something to do?

The fact that so many smokers - who all smoked relatively similar pack of cigarettes per day - are satisfied using such a wide variety of nicotine strengths, flavors and PG/VG ratios (visible vapor production) once they switch to vaping shows that smokers smoke for all kinds of different reasons - not just a simple "nicotine addiction." How else can you explain three PAD Marlboro smokers, one needing a 24 mg to be satisfied, another happy with 6 mg and the third using 45 mg, yet still needing to smoke occasionally because they find "something missing" with nicotine alone?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... How else can you explain three PAD Marlboro smokers, one needing a 24 mg to be satisfied, another happy with 6 mg and the third using 45 mg, yet still needing to smoke occasionally because they find "something missing" with nicotine alone?

There are Definitely Different Degrees to which people Need, Want, Desire or are Addicted to Cigarettes.

And I think the Same goes for how e-Cigarettes Satisfy these Needs, Wants, Desires and or Addictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread