Anyone using a Sophia with an IBTanked on their Provari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bella Chic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2009
Southeast Texas
Ok y'all. So I've read and read and google searched and read some more and this Sophia deal is sounding more and more amazing. Now, with that being said, I am feeling a bit over whelmed and confused, so...here are some Sopia for Dummies type of questions...
I understand it can be used in any carto tank? And that I don't have to rebuild any thing, I can simply purchase the coil thingies that go in it and keep on going and going? (insert energizer bunny here). I have Protank replaceable coil thingies...will those work or no? That was probably a really stupid question, sorry. Oh and are there only certain tips that can go atop it?

I think I seriously need a Sophia for Dummies thread!

I am in no way new to vaping but have been away for a while and now all this new stuff is out and I'm really trying to understand it. I looooove my tanks, a lot. Just keep hearing about this Sophia and I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible so I know what I'm doing when I'm ordering. Know what I mean?

I am not interested at all in rebuilding anything, so I would simply purchase the coil thingies, unless someone can hold my hand and show me how simple it is to do it myself and then I may think about it.

Feeling a bit over whelmed, just need some really good guidance. Will someone take me underwing please?

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Interesting Sophia/o-ring issues. I have 4 Sophia's (bought both from By Leo and from HOM in the UK, but only about 3 weeks apart). FWIW, as said using the red rings works just fine in my KirF tanks, and naturally the By Leo tanks. But they are way smaller in cross section of the ring material itself than those that came in the Phiniac tanks. You don't need them in the Phiniac tanks though, with the stock rings you can adjust a Sophia. Haven't tried the Sophia's in the IBT's because I don't stopped using them and carto's when the first Sophia's and Euro tanks came. I'm still waiting for the SnP tanks, so don't know about in them yet other than I know darkgear has some SnP's and uses Sophia's in them.

Last edited:

kbf101998

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Brentwood, Tn, USA
I am vaping mine but it has some movement/wiggle maybe a little too much for comfort!! The bottom oring in the Loki tank is not really what I consider to be snug either....tank turns fairly easy around the Sophia even at the base, I may should have just tried the tank without changing the oring!! Another friend had stated he never uses the red oring and is able to turn for juice flow. In the KirF tank, all was very snug. Did the new orings you ordered snug it all up pretty good? Dang, hate to buy 100 orings for 1 tank, oh well!!

Because I have never figured out how to change the internal O ring in any of my tanks --I use my Sophia in the Loki tank with the original O rings. It opens fine for me in the Loki and has worked well.

I am really fairly smart I think--but these o rings have been a challenge for some reason. So I just gave it a try--It is a little tight but opens up if I twist the Sophia and not the drip tip.

kbf101998

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Brentwood, Tn, USA
Ok y'all. So I've read and read and google searched and read some more and this Sophia deal is sounding more and more amazing. Now, with that being said, I am feeling a bit over whelmed and confused, so...here are some Sopia for Dummies type of questions...
I understand it can be used in any carto tank? And that I don't have to rebuild any thing, I can simply purchase the coil thingies that go in it and keep on going and going? (insert energizer bunny here). I have Protank replaceable coil thingies...will those work or no? That was probably a really stupid question, sorry. Oh and are there only certain tips that can go atop it?

I am in no way new to vaping but have been away for a while and now all this new stuff is out and I'm really trying to understand it. I looooove my tanks, a lot. Just keep hearing about this Sophia and I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible so I know what I'm doing when I'm ordering. Know what I mean?

I am not interested at all in rebuilding anything, so I would simply purchase the coil thingies, unless someone can hold my hand and show me how simple it is to do it myself and then I may think about it.

Feeling a bit over whelmed, just need some really good guidance. Will someone take me underwing please?

I don't know if I can be of a lot of help--but I will give you some info and my experience with the Sophia so far. I ordered mine from by Leo. When you order there you can order the ready made coils from them. I have no experience rebuilding (ha ha--I can't even change the O rings in my tanks) but the Sophia is working great so far. The flavor boost is definitely a benefit and the ease of changing the coils without removing the entire thing from the tank is great.

I have used mine with the SnP 22, and the Loki tanks so far. I haven't tried it in the IBT yet, but think it will work just fine in that tank too. I liked it so much that I have ordered 2 more and some more ready made coils. I will at some point try to rebuild but not just yet. There are many here that can help you a lot more than I can. But I thought it might help you not to feel overwhelmed hearing from me :)! If I can figure it out --you can too!!

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
most of what I know about Sophia's comes from reading and watching videos, but I can answer a couple of those.

I understand it can be used in any carto tank?

yep (edit, well not 'any', lenght might be an issue I suppose)

And that I don't have to rebuild any thing, I can simply purchase the coil thingies that go in it and keep on going and going?

yep, they sell wires for you to assemble in the ceramic cups, and they also sell fully assembled coils

(insert energizer bunny here)

images

I have Protank replaceable coil thingies...will those work or no?
nope

Oh and are there only certain tips that can go atop it?

drip tips? I believe any 510 tip should fit

you mentioned you have protank heads, I used mine as practice for building and in no time I was doing different types of builds, and when the russian arrived I had no issues at all getting it working. might be a good place to start, see if you like it, realize how simple it is....and decide if you want to build them yourself on the Sophia. but in the end you always have the option of buying the assembled coils.

this video was very helpful for me in understanding more about the Sophia in general, and not so much about 'how to build coils for it'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cUXDrzGiVg

hope this helps

Last edited:

Bella Chic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2009
Southeast Texas
I don't know if I can be of a lot of help--but I will give you some info and my experience with the Sophia so far. I ordered mine from by Leo. When you order there you can order the ready made coils from them. I have no experience rebuilding (ha ha--I can't even change the O rings in my tanks) but the Sophia is working great so far. The flavor boost is definitely a benefit and the ease of changing the coils without removing the entire thing from the tank is great.

I have used mine with the SnP 22, and the Loki tanks so far. I haven't tried it in the IBT yet, but think it will work just fine in that tank too. I liked it so much that I have ordered 2 more and some more ready made coils. I will at some point try to rebuild but not just yet. There are many here that can help you a lot more than I can. But I thought it might help you not to feel overwhelmed hearing from me :)! If I can figure it out --you can too!!

Thank you kbf :). I really appreciate your help. You helped some of my confusion for sure. I'm happy to hear that I don't have to build anything if I don't want to. Thank you so very much :)

most of what I know about Sophia's comes from reading and watching videos, but I can answer a couple of those.

I understand it can be used in any carto tank?

yep (edit, well not 'any', lenght might be an issue I suppose)

And that I don't have to rebuild any thing, I can simply purchase the coil thingies that go in it and keep on going and going?

yep, they sell wires for you to assemble in the ceramic cups, and they also sell fully assembled coils

(insert energizer bunny here)

images

I have Protank replaceable coil thingies...will those work or no?
nope

Oh and are there only certain tips that can go atop it?

drip tips? I believe any 510 tip should fit

you mentioned you have protank heads, I used mine as practice for building and in no time I was doing different types of builds, and when the russian arrived I had no issues at all getting it working. might be a good place to start, see if you like it, realize how simple it is....and decide if you want to build them yourself on the Sophia. but in the end you always have the option of buying the assembled coils.

this video was very helpful for me in understanding more about the Sophia in general, and not so much about 'how to build coils for it'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cUXDrzGiVg

hope this helps

You gave me a good giggle with the energizer bunny sunnata :). Your help with my questions is greatly appreciated as well. Thank you! I will go and take at that video first thing in the morning. I've been doing so much reading and learning that my eyes are starting to go fuzzy and crossed lol. I very much appreciate your help :)

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Because I have never figured out how to change the internal O ring in any of my tanks --I use my Sophia in the Loki tank with the original O rings. It opens fine for me in the Loki and has worked well.

I am really fairly smart I think--but these o rings have been a challenge for some reason. So I just gave it a try--It is a little tight but opens up if I twist the Sophia and not the drip tip.

Changing the internal o-rings is easy, but it takes a "tool". The tool can be any of several things. I use a dental pick just because I already had some, but anything small and pointed can work... a scribe, a jewers screwdriver, a straight pin or needle, even a tooth pick. You just need to get it started out of the groove in one place without damaging it, then work it out. Start the replacement in one place, work it in and your done.

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA

No problem, I was the same way! I have the Sophia and one more on the way. The day it arrived, it was ready to be placed in a tank, I used the KirF tank and loaded juice in the tank just as if it were a carto, loosened the juice control a few turns and waited for all bubbles to rise as this is allowing juice in the chamber and wicks, when bubbles stopped, couple minutes, screwed back down, I started at about 1 full turn and started vaping!! That part was almost too simple!! I have the prebuilt cups/coils to replace the one that comes in it when it needs it. At that time, I will hopefully be building my coils and if not, more premades will be bought!! The learning curve is probably a little more than say the kayfun since you have NR-R-NR wires to deal with but I'll worry about that later!! Been a very nice and different vaping experience so far. I just picked up a cartotank to take a vape and it's time to swap cartos...stiff draw and off taste....anyway, we are all learning and lots of great folks around to help us out!! The By Leo thread was a big help in reading and learning the little tips and things to prepare for, come join us as well and ask questions!! See ya

kbf101998

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Brentwood, Tn, USA
Changing the internal o-rings is easy, but it takes a "tool". The tool can be any of several things. I use a dental pick just because I already had some, but anything small and pointed can work... a scribe, a jewers screwdriver, a straight pin or needle, even a tooth pick. You just need to get it started out of the groove in one place without damaging it, then work it out. Start the replacement in one place, work it in and your done.

Thanks Spydro! That makes perfect sense--now that you mentioned a tool! I am a little slow with all of this vaping stuff but do learn quick! I think I have a jewelers screwdriver, I will dig it out and give this a try!! :facepalm:

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA
Interesting Sophia/o-ring issues. I have 4 Sophia's (bought both from By Leo and from HOM in the UK, but only about 3 weeks apart). FWIW, as said using the red rings works just fine in my KirF tanks, and naturally the By Leo tanks. But they are way smaller in cross section of the ring material itself than those that came in the Phiniac tanks. You don't need them in the Phiniac tanks though, with the stock rings you can adjust a Sophia. Haven't tried the Sophia's in the IBT's because I don't stopped using them and carto's when the first Sophia's and Euro tanks came. I'm still waiting for the SnP tanks, so don't know about in them yet other than I know darkgear has some SnP's and uses Sophia's in them.
I'm still waiting for the snp tank as well. According to techno, you will need a different red oring for that tank, he posted a link a few pages back. I'm not sure if GP furnishes the red orings with their tanks, do you??
I think I should have left the stock black orings in the Loki tank but we will see of it floods or leaks juice due to the slight lose fit but ATM it is vaping fine but I am also conscious of a possible leak out as Kas had, so I'm not totally enjoying it at the moment!! Hope this helps!

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
The only hard thing about rebuilding the coils for the Sophia's/eBaron's for me is threading the wires through the ceramic cup, and that only because old eyes need magnification for "small" anything now. Big hands don't do small as easy as they used to either. Ought to be easier for a lady with good eyes and smaller hands.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I'm still waiting for the snp tank as well. According to techno, you will need a different red oring for that tank, he posted a link a few pages back. I'm not sure if GP furnishes the red orings with their tanks, do you??

The SnP's come with red soft Viton food grade O-rings installed in the tank caps, and 8 spares (plus the installed plus 2 spare hard black o-rings for the fill ports). No idea how they work with the Sophia's... darkgear would know.

Dan Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
The SnP's come with red soft Viton food grade O-rings installed in the tank caps, and 8 spares (plus the installed plus 2 spare hard black o-rings for the fill ports). No idea how they work with the Sophia's... darkgear would know.

Take the two inner o-rings out of the top cap of the SnP. Place one of the red o-rings that come with the Sophia in the top slot of the top cap of the SnP. The red o-ring that comes with the Sophia will not fit properly in the SnP; save it for another tank (like the D-Base from by Leo). It works great.

Peter_C

Who?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
Akron, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Call me lame, but my order from ByLeo came about two weeks ago, and I have yet to play with any of my new toys. Am not feeling so hot, am currently 'anemic' (9.6, up from 8.2) and would rather wait til I can enjoy myself. Sophia,D-base tank, SS insert for the tank, 10 pre-made coils, spare parts, and bout 5-6 new drip tips.

My hands don't work like they used to and I fear ending up frustrated so am waiting til my health is a bit better. If anyone wants some blow-by-blow help, go over to the ByLeo official page, as there are many very kind helpful folks that will walk you through any step. Everything I have read it seems like all who try Sophia love her.

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA
Take the two inner o-rings out of the top cap of the SnP. Place one of the red o-rings that come with the Sophia in the top slot of the top cap of the SnP. The red o-ring that comes with the Sophia will not fit properly in the SnP; save it for another tank (like the D-Base from by Leo). It works great.

Little confusing Dan....you say to replace the original oring with the red one that came with the Sophia but then say to save it for another tank as it doesn't fit well on the SnP, can you clarify your comment?

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
How hard is it to rebuild? I hear a lot of people using pre built coils for it. Does it use two different kanthal wires?

From what I have read, it uses the nr-r-nr wire to stop the high amount of heat underneath the ceramic cup from a normal R wire. Stormy's carries premade stuff (I have been eyeing up a wire joiner, lol).

Every video, review, post that I have read regarding the rebuilding process makes it look like it's actually not that difficult to rebuild. It took me eight tries to get the Kayfun right, but now it's a monster. My Sophia should arrive today, hoping it's even better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread