Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Reporting on Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices (1oz bulk purchase)

Vendor notes:
Dark Fired Kentucky
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

Newminster No. 403 Superior Round Slices starts with a core of dark-fired Kentucky, around which premium flue-cured leaves are wrapped and spun into a rope & sliced. The flavor is typically sweet Virginia with an undertone that's spicy and slightly smoky - slightly on the full side of medium bodied.

My NET version was a PG, heat assist maceration (8 hours @ 125 degrees), which cool steeped for roughly 9 months. No real reason for the long steep; the jar just got overlooked in the back of the cupboard for a while. This extract was mixed at 15%; the result was very satisfying. I’m putting this one in the ADV category. The Virginia adds just a slight sweetness to the vape, while the pleasing smokey boldness of the DF Kentucky really stands out; yet not oppressively so. This has been a nice departure from my usual smokey Latakia blended NETs.

Just for some light reading:

The Growing Fascination with Dark-Fired Kentucky

Enjoy :)

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Great News, FREE SHIPPING now on orders over $79!
  • 1-800-494-9144

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/baraccini-churchwardens/1489517/

1. Fusiler's Ration Special Reserve

Click the icons below for product information.
Fusiler's Ration Special Reserve NEW
Be the first to rate this product

Share:
A limited edition special reserve blend has come into our hands! The Fusilier's Ration Special Reserve is everything that you would expect from the original blend. What makes this so special, you ask? The well-aged Virginias that were given to create this already popular blend to make it even better. With the addition of these Virginias, it creates a flavor that can not be denied and should not be missed. With the release of this special reserve, we were given the green light to give you a discount that will turn heads. The perfect chance to try something new from an already well-known blend.

BLEND
PACK
IN STOCK PRICE QTY CART
hsa-tb-1000.png

Fusilier's Ration Special Reserve Per oz IN STOCK $500

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
Happy to mention a pipe tobacco NET I'm enjoying and quite pleased with the results:

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake #400, a VaPer in classic flake form.

Heat assisted in 190 PGA, steeped 5 months before filtering.
Presently mixing as a stand alone at 7% in 70vg/30pg.
(note - this tobacco had been aged 15 years)

Overall so far: Excellent!

005-005-0002.jpg

Last edited:

Walter Ladd

Multiple ID Suspension
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2018
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
No kidding. Especially since Pipes and Cigars won't ship to Washington State.

If I remember correctly Washington state has some complicated tobacco laws/taxes?, If so I imagine many online vendors simply choose to exclude doing business there. There aren't any shipping restrictions to my state but I still haven't purchased anything from P&C in many years. Since changing owners a few years ago it seems they're almost always "out of stock" on items I'm interested in. Smoking Pipes gets most of my business these days but I don't know if they ship to Washington state.

Hello everyone. Things seem to have really slowed here lately. Is there another, more interesting place, that everyone has gone to? Another thread?

I've noticed the activity on ECF has slowed greatly in the past few years, this place was hopping back in the 2013-2014 timeframe. I've not posted much since stockpiling various extracts, I'm all but finished with everything and all that's left is to enjoy the fruits of my labor. :)

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
I'm having my first exposure to Old Joe Krantz. Just reaching the three month sit around I tasted it last night. I know there are several here who like it. As the new wick was getting broken in the burleys were out front. Then the perique made an appearance on top of the burleys. About halfway through the 6ml bottle all the flavors coalesced and it became full and very good. Initially it was a little off-putting but ended up very satisfying.

I've been experimenting, a bottle at a time, with a little virginia, a smidge of perique, a lot of latakia and a topper of oriental or Turkish ribbon. Very nice combination. These are all bottled separately and then added to my squonk bottle.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
I'm having my first exposure to Old Joe Krantz. Just reaching the three month sit around I tasted it last night. I know there are several here who like it. As the new wick was getting broken in the burleys were out front. Then the perique made an appearance on top of the burleys. About halfway through the 6ml bottle all the flavors coalesced and it became full and very good. Initially it was a little off-putting but ended up very satisfying.

I've been experimenting, a bottle at a time, with a little virginia, a smidge of perique, a lot of latakia and a topper of oriental or Turkish ribbon. Very nice combination. These are all bottled separately and then added to my squonk bottle.

new wicks, cotton or whatever, always give me a different taste, good or bad, until lightly broken in and are good until time to change out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread