Check your credit card or debit card statement ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
People just don't get it. If you use your card at all even locally you are at risk. I use my Paypal card online and it is linked to my bank account. I put a $200 limit on it so if it gets hit I am not out that much until Paypal corrects it.

Knocking on wood my Paypal card has not been hit since I got it and it has been about 5 years. My debit card which is used only locally has been hit 5 times in less than 3 years.....

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
ETOSAC.com

Wow... someone pulled off a HUGE scam.... You are like the 10th person I've seen that also got hit with the XXSAC.com scam... different, completely unrelated forums.... so I can only imagine if I came across 10 other people in my little corner of the internet that got hit with this, the number of fraudulent charges could be mind boggling.

Bukket5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2012
Anchorage
Who's this "whole group of people"?

There is over 300 posts on Amazon about it. Plus another thread at 800notes.com. They charged my card twice. I have alerts set to notify me of any international charges and was able to stop it before they processed. New cards are on the way.

Not for $9 charges

You should have an alert for any international charges. These type of thieves are always in another country. My backup card that I rarely use is set to alert me of ANY charges.

I refuse to let thieves stop me from shopping how I want! I use my CC and my debit card online and I've been hit 3 times in 10 years. But I do monitor my accounts, have account alerts setup, and both my Credit Union and Credit Card company have excellent fraud protection and security departments. I've caught the charges or my bank has every time. The first time it happens is always the worst. After finding out how well my bank and my CC company handle the fraud I am not as freaked out as I was at first. It is inconvenient having to cancel your account and get new cards but it is possible to use your cards and be protected. It is best to have one CC that you only use online. Makes it much easier to keep track of charges and fraud. But I'm fine with using both of mine.

This is not just from Target. I've never shopped at Target but it's also not Amazon as most in the Amazon thread are saying. The charges are all for $9.84 and are to 2 different .coms that lead back to the same site. My alert from Bank of America said the charges were made in Malta.

The biggest problem is that these charges verify the card and then they turn around and sell the cards to someone else who goes on a spending spree. Check all of your accounts back to November 1. BoA told me the breach at Target started November 4. I can't believe that there has been nothing on the news yet about it. Every one needs to be told to check their accounts for the $9.84.

Smart Chips in credit cards cuts fraud by 67%. But the US is 10 years behind the technology! They figure it will be 2015 before it is available here. That's why we are the ones that get hit by these hackers. Europe has had Smart Chips for years.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
There is over 300 posts on Amazon about it. Plus another thread at 800notes.com. They charged my card twice. I have alerts set to notify me of any international charges and was able to stop it before they processed. New cards are on the way.

You should have an alert for any international charges. These type of thieves are always in another country. My backup card that I rarely use is set to alert me of ANY charges.

I refuse to let thieves stop me from shopping how I want! I use my CC and my debit card online and I've been hit 3 times in 10 years. But I do monitor my accounts, have account alerts setup, and both my Credit Union and Credit Card company have excellent fraud protection and security departments. I've caught the charges or my bank has every time. The first time it happens is always the worst. After finding out how well my bank and my CC company handle the fraud I am not as freaked out as I was at first. It is inconvenient having to cancel your account and get new cards but it is possible to use your cards and be protected. It is best to have one CC that you only use online. Makes it much easier to keep track of charges and fraud. But I'm fine with using both of mine.

This is not just from Target. I've never shopped at Target but it's also not Amazon as most in the Amazon thread are saying. The charges are all for $9.84 and are to 2 different .coms that lead back to the same site. My alert from Bank of America said the charges were made in Malta.

The biggest problem is that these charges verify the card and then they turn around and sell the cards to someone else who goes on a spending spree. Check all of your accounts back to November 1. BoA told me the breach at Target started November 4. I can't believe that there has been nothing on the news yet about it. Every one needs to be told to check their accounts for the $9.84.

Smart Chips in credit cards cuts fraud by 67%. But the US is 10 years behind the technology! They figure it will be 2015 before it is available here. That's why we are the ones that get hit by these hackers. Europe has had Smart Chips for years.

That is a good idea but these crooks are not always in another country. The last time I got hit they emptied my account before I knew it and they were right here in the USA. North Carolina as a matter of fact. They got cash from several different ATM's in just one day. How they got my pin number I have no idea :glare:

Bukket5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2012
Anchorage
That is a good idea but these crooks are not always in another country. The last time I got hit they emptied my account before I knew it and they were right here in the USA. North Carolina as a matter of fact. They got cash from several different ATM's in just one day. How they got my pin number I have no idea :glare:

Wow. That really sucks :( What happened to you was way worse than a $9.84 fraudulent charge on a CC. Sorry that you had to go through it.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
Wow. That really sucks :( What happened to you was way worse than a $9.84 fraudulent charge on a CC. Sorry that you had to go through it.

Since they had my pin number it took over a week just to get the provisional credit and 2 months for a final ruling from bank that it was fraud. I was fortunate that I had money in my savings account that I borrowed from to get by. If I didn't have money saved it would have hurt.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
Okay, really really dumb question here . . .

But how does access to my credit card number give a thief access to my checking account?? (I don't do online pay or online banking).

If you are using a credit card then they can't. Many use debit cards which is a direct link to bank account.

rabernet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
Buford, GA
Wells Fargo is my bank, and it was debit card. I've already received a ruling that mine was fraud, refunded and new card issued. They opened the case at lunch and received an email by six this evening that they had closed the investigation in regards to my account and pursuing legal action.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk.

dilong1717

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2012
Newark, DE
I got hit today for $3.67 (Not much I Know) & I did shop at Target during the time the breach occurred. I received an email today at 4:25pm that stated a transaction was processed for an out of state/card not present transaction. I'm in Delaware and the transaction was in Illinois. Called the bank and of course since it is Christmas Eve customer service is closed and won't reopen until Thursday morning. When I called I hit the prompt for stolen cards and of course they were NO HLEP AT ALL>>>> Told me to call back on Thursday and work out. Great! Thanks! Merry Christmas To You Too!!!! Sorry for the RANT......

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Same happened to me for the first time ever. My bank caught it before I did. One charge for $10.50 to some charity, and a couple of days later a charge for $105.00. My bank called me about the charges. Nice to know they're on the ball. They told me an algorithm they use picked up on it as not a regular charge. They also told me they had several other customers with the same charges from the same places. They removed the charges immediately without any hassle and sent me a new card with a new number. Got it in two days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread