Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Me, too. If this dog gets out of the yard, she will be gone. She will not be coming back. She did come right over to me just now, let me put a leash on her and put her back in the kennel but she already got out of the back yard earlier today and I think she will figure out how to get out of the five acres next.

I really think she will do better with her sister here but we shall see.

I found this on Wikipedia

Temperament:

Catahoulas are highly intelligent and energetic. They are assertive but not aggressive by nature. They have a need to take charge of their pack whether other dogs or humans. Catahoulas in general are very even tempered. Males tend to be more obnoxious than females, but Catahoulas are very serious about their job if they are working dogs. They make a good family dog but will not tolerate being isolated, so interaction with the dog is a daily requirement. When a Catahoula is raised with children, the dog believes that it is his or her responsibility to look after and protect those children. Many owners will say that the Catahoula owns them and they can be insistent when it's time to eat or do other activities. Catahoulas are protective and a natural alarm dog. They will alert one to anything out of the ordinary.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
We are fine to interact with them every day but if she gets out of the five acres, we will not be able to call her back to us. She will run. She is not happy about Rusty or Penny although they may grow on her. She isn't mean or scary, she is just determined to get out of here and go home. Hopefully, with her sister here, who is the less frightened of the two dogs, apparently, we will be able to integrate them into the pack.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
We are fine to interact with them every day but if she gets out of the five acres, we will not be able to call her back to us. She will run. She is not happy about Rusty or Penny although they may grow on her. She isn't mean or scary, she is just determined to get out of here and go home. Hopefully, with her sister here, who is the less frightened of the two dogs, apparently, we will be able to integrate them into the pack.

Maybe she needs more interaction than once a day, like being in the house, sleeping at your feet. How did you get Rusty used to being kept outdoors?

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Maybe she needs more interaction than once a day, like being in the house, sleeping at your feet. How did you get Rusty used to being kept outdoors?

I am in and out of the house numerous times a day. I, of course, have been out to interact with the dog for breakfast. I tried to sit with her but she paced the yard constantly. I took her for a walk on the leash around the back of the property. I am trying to interact with her but she is so stressed. I left in in the backyard and she paced for a couple of hours.

Anyway, all that could probably be worked through if she didn't seem to be trying so hard to get out of the yard and go home.I really originally thought that she would do better with her sister but then the lady said she already separated them and gave the dog to her brother in law. Fortunately, when I called her to tell her how unhappy Winnie is, I found out that the sister Sassy, isn't doing well at her new place. I hope to have the sister here sometime after 5pm.

Rusty was easy. When we first got Rusty, he slept in a crate. He started whining about 5am and I let him out and he stayed out until I got up at 6 or 7am. The next night he woke me up at 3am and I let him out and he stayed out until I got up. After that, we left him outside every night. It is only this winter that he has spent so much of his time in the house.

As far as Winnie coming in the house, I can't imagine that as fearful as she is, that bringing an outside dog into the house wouldn't be a disaster. She would freak. Many dogs that are raised outside don't even like coming in the house.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I am in and out of the house numerous times a day. I, of course, have been out to interact with the dog for breakfast. I tried to sit with her but she paced the yard constantly. I took her for a walk on the leash around the back of the property. I am trying to interact with her but she is so stressed. I left in in the backyard and she paced for a couple of hours.

Anyway, all that could probably be worked through if she didn't seem to be trying so hard to get out of the yard and go home.I really originally thought that she would do better with her sister but then the lady said she already separated them and gave the dog to her brother in law. Fortunately, when I called her to tell her how unhappy Winnie is, I found out that the sister Sassy, isn't doing well at her new place. I hope to have the sister here sometime after 5pm.

Rusty was easy. When we first got Rusty, he slept in a crate. He started whining about 5am and I let him out and he stayed out until I got up at 6 or 7am. The next night he woke me up at 3am and I let him out and he stayed out until I got up. After that, we left him outside every night. It is only this winter that he has spent so much of his time in the house.

As far as Winnie coming in the house, I can't imagine that as fearful as she is, that bringing an outside dog into the house wouldn't be a disaster. She would freak. Many dogs that are raised outside don't even like coming in the house.

I didn't realize she has already been an outside dog. It sounds like the best solution, then, is to reunite her with Sassy. I really hope that helps. I feel very sorry for Winnie. If only they could understand, and we could explain to them!

Let us know if Sassy's presence has any effect. Maybe both dogs are so stressed out because they were separated.

Do you know their history? Anything about the former owner and his relationship with the dogs? Were they kept outside all the time? What kind of arrangement (kennel, fenced yard, dog house) did he have for them? Etc., etc. Any info you can get from the people who now have the dogs would be really helpful. Also, do they have a blanket or something that smells like home that they could give you? One the dogs slept on? Maybe that would help them realize your place is now home.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
We know the dogs were kept outside. We know the owner died. We know the sisters, Winnie and Sassy, are about two and a half years old and have been together their entire lives.

We also know that this breed is very loyal to its owners. I knew we would have a transition to make. I really thought we would be getting both dogs when Winnie came here and was surprised to find out that one dog had already been given away. I probably should have said no at that point since I thought having the two sisters would be good but having just one of the dogs would be bad. I said yes anyway.

Fortunately, it sounds like we will be getting the other dog but the poor lady handling the estate sounds pretty freaking stressed out by all this. She is driving over an hour every day to feed and take care of 21 horses that were also left by the old guy that died. Wow, I can't imagine how hard that would be.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
We know the dogs were kept outside. We know the owner died. We know the sisters, Winnie and Sassy, are about two and a half years old and have been together their entire lives.

We also know that this breed is very loyal to its owners. I knew we would have a transition to make. I really thought we would be getting both dogs when Winnie came here and was surprised to find out that one dog had already been given away. I probably should have said no at that point since I thought having the two sisters would be good but having just one of the dogs would be bad. I said yes anyway.

Fortunately, it sounds like we will be getting the other dog but the poor lady handling the estate sounds pretty freaking stressed out by all this. She is driving over an hour every day to feed and take care of 21 horses that were also left by the old guy that died. Wow, I can't imagine how hard that would be.

21 horses! That's wild! I guess she's going to try to sell them or give them away. Maybe you could ask her to retrieve a dog bed or blanket or something they slept on from their old home, since she's going there every day. I really think that might help the transition. At least soon you'll have both dogs, and that might make things easier for Winnie, especially if Sassy is more outgoing. You might get her to be more friendly, and Winnie would follow her lead. Good luck with the dogs, Lizzie!

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
21 horses! That's wild! I guess she's going to try to sell them or give them away. Maybe you could ask her to retrieve a dog bed or blanket or something they slept on from their old home, since she's going there every day. I really think that might help the transition. At least soon you'll have both dogs, and that might make things easier for Winnie, especially if Sassy is more outgoing. You might get her to be more friendly, and Winnie would follow her lead. Good luck with the dogs, Lizzie!

Along with a dog bed or blanket, maybe you could get the dog house if there was one. That should make them feel right at home.

Why in the world would anybody want 21 horses? :shock: Can you imagine the vet bills, farrier bills, hay bill and everything else that goes along with owning a horse? Gez Louise!

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Along with a dog bed or blanket, maybe you could get the dog house if there was one. That should make them feel right at home.

Why in the world would anybody want 21 horses? :shock: Can you imagine the vet bills, farrier bills, hay bill and everything else that goes along with owning a horse? Gez Louise!

You know how there are cat ladies who collect cats? Well, there are people like that about horses, too. Unless he was a breeder or trainer or something. But I bet he was just what they call on my horse e-mail list a "horse hoarder." On that list, they jokingly have a group they call Horse Hoarders Anonymous, and when someone gets one more horse they don't need, they start their message with, "Hi, I'm ----- and I'm a horse hoarder."

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
You know how there are cat ladies who collect cats? Well, there are people like that about horses, too. Unless he was a breeder or trainer or something. But I bet he was just what they call on my horse e-mail list a "horse hoarder." On that list, they jokingly have a group they call Horse Hoarders Anonymous, and when someone gets one more horse they don't need, they start their message with, "Hi, I'm ----- and I'm a horse hoarder."

I sure hope these horse hoarders can afford to give all those horses the proper care they need. I would think you'd have to be filthy rich.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I might add that we have horse hoarders here too and cat and dog hoarders and most of the animals are neglected and end up at a rescue facility if they are lucky. The unlucky ones are put down. :cry: I did volunteer work at a no kill animal rescue facility for 3 years and have seen more than enough of animal neglect to last me a life time. I'm not saying that all hoarders are like this but many are.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I sure hope these horse hoarders can afford to give all those horses the proper care they need. I would think you'd have to be filthy rich.

I think most of the people on my e-mail list care a great deal about their horses, and yes, I think some may be rather well off -- at least more than me. Also, if you have a farm, it's not as expensive as boarding, though as you say, there's still the vet and farrier and feed and such stuff. Also, most of the horse hoarders I know about don't have 21 horses. Maybe 7 or so. Often, around here, people with excess horses also board a few to help defray the cost. At the moment, the barn owner where I board Penny has 5. Granted, she has a bunch of kids, and she wants enough horses so they can all ride together, but rarely do all the horses go out on a trail ride together.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012

They can't. The guy apparently left enough money for hay but a couple of the horses were probably going to have to be put down. The horses are not sweet like mine that get individual attention...from what she said. No one can give that many horses individual attention!!!!

On a high note, I got the open bridle and surcingle training set for my Nevada. Looking forwards to working with him when the weather clears up in a few days.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
They can't. The guy apparently left enough money for hay but a couple of the horses were probably going to have to be put down. The horses are not sweet like mine that get individual attention...from what she said. No one can give that many horses individual attention!!!!

On a high note, I got the open bridle and surcingle training set for my Nevada. Looking forwards to working with him when the weather clears up in a few days.

How can I give a half a LIKE? :facepalm:

The LIKE is for Nevada not for the guy that died.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
What's going to happen to all those horses, Lizzie? Did the lady say what her plans for them were?

No, she didn't say. I really don't know what she can do with that many horses. Apparently quite a few of them are not in good shape and there aren't very many rescue organizations out here. If you are a horse rescue, you are usually pretty overwhelmed anyway. She has had the farrier and the brand inspector out. She sounds tired and stressed.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
No, she didn't say. I really don't know what she can do with that many horses. Apparently quite a few of them are not in good shape and there aren't very many rescue organizations out here. If you are a horse rescue, you are usually pretty overwhelmed anyway. She has had the farrier and the brand inspector out. She sounds tired and stressed.

This is just so sad. :cry:

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY

I'm hearing more and more stories like this. Some people are just letting their horses go, and they roam the area till someone does something about them. They still have horse auctions, though horse slaughter doesn't figure into it anymore, but maybe she can sell them there.

Penny's hoof trimmer just bought a Standardbred mare at a horse auction. The cost was under $100. I forget what he said, but it was ridiculously cheap. He didn't need another horse, but there was something about this mare that said to him, "Take me." I guess this is how some horse hoarders get more horses than they really need. Anyway, he said the mare is incredibly sweet, sound, and she's going to turn out to be a great horse. Someone on my horse list just got a Thoroughbred mare under similar circumstances to those 21 horses. I think someone died or couldn't take care of their horses, and she got this mare half-starved. She posts pictures of the mare so we can see how she's doing -- gaining weight. The new owner laughed and said that every photo she takes of the horse for us, she's got her nose in the feed bucket. Finally, she took one of someone holding the horse, and she said, "See? She does have a head." So I guess some horse hoarders are rescuing horses.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
There is No "Plan B" for "Me" - It's either the Laundromat or no clean clothes . . .

The good thing is - can get all the laundry done (4 Loads) in about 2 or 2 1/2 hours and sometimes Ya' Can even meet some interesting people there too . . .

ani-batman_robin_laundromat.gif

I dunno. The 24-hour one I usually end up going to gets pretty shady later in the night. But luckily, there's a DONUT shop right next door, where all the cops hang out! Who woulda thunk that they really do do that? :laugh:

And I beat you, Uncle. I usually do SIX LOADS! :lol:

haha she said doo-doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread