Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
They can't regulate vg or pg, or kanthal or stainless steel or flavorings. Just cut out nicotine & you'll be able to vape forever without worrying about any of this.

Are you kidding? I hope so. For me, (and the majority of vapers), the whole point is a vastly safer nicotine delivery system. I've no interest in inhaling flavored VG/PG by itself.

Your suggestion is akin to saying "oh they just outlawed ammunition, well no problem, use blanks". :rolleyes:

Last edited:

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Good, then-- I think we agree. Just to clarify: I'm not saying that these regulations are necessarily a good thing. I'm just frustrated that so many people seem to think that the status quo is even remotely acceptable.

Oh yes, thank God the Fed Gubmint has stepped in to protect us from our own free market. :facepalm:

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Understood and Agreed - although one question: would an eliquid supplier even need to do that? As long as they are purchasing nic base from a manufacturer that already is approved - it's just a pass through at that point?

Technically, I guess that is true. According to what I'm reading now, the final retailer would not be responsible for PMTA actions unless they are the manufacturer (e.g. in-shop mixing).

I'm assuming the point of the rules is to ensure WYSIWYG - meaning, if the bottle is labeled xx mg nic base, that it truly is xx mg nic base and nothing else.

Well, I think some of us here would argue the true point of this deeming. I have compiled a mental list from my perspective, in which product safety, accurate labeling, and and actual care for people's health starts down somewhere around #147, but I digress.... ;)

Based on this train of thought, though, seems like the idea of selling concentrated proprietary flavoring would be out. I suppose they could sell pass through flavors (straight from FA, TFP, etc), and pass through PG and VG. Maybe eliquid shops can make little "kits" of nothing but pass thru components. They could get bulk contracts with flavoring manufacturers to produce tiny little pre-measured vials each individual flavor in a recipe and then sell the kit: "Build your Jon Wayne here - this kit is $199 but makes 300 ML of juice if you just pour exactly what is contained in these little vials into the same container together and shake." ;-) (Of course, then everyone would know the recipe ratio......)
Certainly this could be done, and has been discussed before. Flavor manufacturers have a) been around a lot more longer than vaping, and b) generally been very careful, with the exception of FlavourArt, to distance themselves from using their products for vaping. So I certainly don't see how the FDA could include raw flavors as in-scope.

I still contend that the FDA has left it open, with the somewhat strange wording of that paragraph on page 222, to be able to stop this if they feel there is some level of intent to mix with nicotine. Intent could be as simple as a previous eliquid manufacturer suddenly selling "flavoring kits for drinks" that matches their previous flavor profiles.

Certainly DIY, assuming you can get nic base, is wide open as far as I can tell... no different than baking a cake.

Ugh...this is all making my head hurt. I used to DIY. Ain't got time for that. I suppose I will be making time for that again, though.
I hear ya! I've contemplated DIY, but I barely have enough time/energy to rebuild my RTAs, let alone play with recipes. Plus, I don't have the best sense for how to make things that taste well... I was never a good cook.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
What I don't get, though, is the view that seems to hold that everything is fine as it is and that no regulations are needed whatsoever.

As someone who uses these products on a daily basis, I want to know what is in them. I want producers to be held to certain standards that ensure that they are as safe as possible.

That's all fine in a perfect world in which the regulators are sensitive, thoughtful, reasonable, and actually care about people and their well being. That's not the world we live in.

Theoretically, the FDA could have promulgated reasonable, common sense regulations, but they didn't. These regulations are much worse than leaving things as they are. These regulations will basically end innovation and wipe out an entire industry, leaving a handful of cig-alikes manufactured by BT. Public health will suffer immeasurable harm.

I know exactly what's in my e-liquid. This information is readily available for many, many widely sold e-liquids. Many of these are tested by independent labs and you can view the results on line. So, why are you vaping anything without knowing what's in it?

You say you want "certain standards." The FDA has not promulgated any standards for e-cigarettes or e-liquids other than child-resistant containers. There are no "certain standards." The FDA has not given manufacturers as much as a clue as to what it might approve or what standards it will apply. The approval process is a complete crap shoot.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Effective Dates
--
The deeming provisions
(i.e., those provisions that automatically apply to newly deemed products)and
minimum age and identification and vending machine
restrictions are effective 90 days from the date of publication of the final rule. The health
warning requirements are effective 24 months from the date of publication of the final rule, with an additional 30-day period in which a manufacturer may continue to introduce into interstate commerce existing inventory manufactured before the effective date that does not contain the required warning statements on packaging.

I interpret this to mean all vape shops will be done in 90 days that do not comply with the Final Rule.

The 24 month period is for warning label requirements.

Can anyone provide any clarity here?

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
Are you kidding? I hope so. For me, (and the majority of vapers), the whole point is a vastly safer nicotine delivery system. I've no interest in inhaling flavored VG/PG by itself.

Your suggestion is akin to saying "oh they just outlawed ammunition, well no problem, just use blanks". :rolleyes:
To each their own I guess. I went from 18mg to 0mg in a few years & enjoy vaping. Like I said, drop the nic & you'll be good.

Reactions: markfm

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I hear ya! I've contemplated DIY, but I barely have enough time/energy to rebuild my RTAs, let alone play with recipes. Plus, I don't have the best sense for how to make things that taste well... I was never a good cook.
It's easier than one may think, about the only good news I can share with you today. There's a lot of great single flavor recipes to be had even, and if mixing by weight it takes 1-2 mins to mix up a few hundred ml.

I certainly hate to see people need to diy, and pray it doesn't actually come to this. But it's worth looking into either way...

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I can't say I'm surprised by the reaction here, but I am a little bit disappointed.

On the one hand, there are some obvious issues with the regulations that have been raised. I also understand why small businesses who have invested in this technology are very worried about their future. What I don't get, though, is the view that seems to hold that everything is fine as it is and that no regulations are needed whatsoever.

As someone who uses these products on a daily basis, I want to know what is in them. I want producers to be held to certain standards that ensure that they are as safe as possible. This seems obvious, but it's not the case right now, and I'm really, really not ok with that.

(Also, I've seen at least one person declare that these regulations are "unconstitutional." I'm not really sure where that comes from, since the Constitution clearly empowers the federal government to regulate interstate commerce.)

Yeah, I'm with you on finding a middle ground. But um...ya know *cough not the thread cough*

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I could go all conspiracy like that myself. However this is in my eyes more along the lines of protecting the billions of annual dollars in multi faceted health industries, which rely solely on health issue caused by burning tobacco.

I was explained to once that without the cigarette, the US alone could lose up to 20 million jobs within 15 years. That it would be such a massive blow to the fiscal structure, or integrity, which could easily tip the country into an unsustainable financial situation. Now how much of this is actual fact I would have no way of knowing. However considering how we have built our society on the detriment of others, it's completely feasible with little math.

..............and this does not require Core Math.
The Anti establishment collapse alone would send thousands to the unemployment line.
Sales of Oxygen tanks and support equipment down the drain....etc.:facepalm:

Reactions: mudmanc4

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
To each their own I guess. I went from 18mg to 0mg in a few years & enjoy vaping. Like I said, drop the nic & you'll be good.
Non nicotine eliquid is deemed a tobacco product. No loophole here. It is dispensed through an ENDS therefore deemed a tobacco product per the Final Rule.

Reactions: pamdis

stauglocal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
Florida
I have had it with the country. Our republic has been hijacked by career politicians, lobbyists, and Washington scum. I have been smoke free since 2011 thanks to vaping and now they want to take that away from me. I don't think so. Let's fight this to the bitter end!!

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
Non nicotine eliquid is deemed a tobacco product. No loophole here. It is dispensed through an ENDS therefore deemed a tobacco product per the Final Rule.
Vg & pg plus flavorings are used in the food industry. Does that mean they can't purchase it either? Lol

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
@WharfRat1976 THIS^^^^^^ is a HUGE deal, if we can pull it off and get this bill acted upon. Been sitting for a year, but people are pushing it and pushing hard. Call your representative and tell them to support HR2058. EVERYONE should do this. When I called, they were very responsive to my concerns. PLEASE, push your representatives. It's easy and only requires a few minutes of your time.
KAT, ALL OVER IT! Thanks for the LINKS. I called my rep today and left a message with a live assistant at his office. AGREE. I am advocacy!

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
I have to believe......Vaping has gotten so big, it has even changed or touched the lives of some members of Congress. We know Congressmen that vape. I am sure even those who dont, have a family member or friend that has been saved by vaping.Hopefully we can AT LEAST get 2058 passed.

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
I'm not talking about premixed juice, I'm talking about separate bottles of vg & pg just like you'd purchase to diy.

Reactions: Atchafalaya

Users who are viewing this thread