GP Series by VapourArt - Official Thread for GP Heron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todai

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2014
OK. Ripped out the ceramic braid I tried on the first build. Seems like the ceramic wasn't transferring the juice from the fluff to the coil well enough, and after a few hits I could taste the wick through the juice, and it wasn't a pleasant taste. I've used this ceramic in drippers only before with good results, so maybe it needs to be wetter than what the fluff can transfer. Or maybe I'm not using enough/too little fluff for that type of wick.

Anyway, rebuilt now using KGD cotton with the topper cap. No shorts or anything like that. Flavor is much better, and TH is spot on. No gurgling or dry hits. I'm also using 28ga, 4 wraps. A buddy of mine 'borrowed' my multimeter, so until the 510 adapter arrives, not sure what resistance I'm running, but by the warmth of the vapor I estimate it around .7 to .9. Might be lower because the Heron tank, and even the drip tip get a little warm after chain vaping.

I'd be interested to hear what happens when you swap the topper caps. From everything you said, that's what I'm thinking is the culprit. Have you checked to make sure both posts are screwed all the way down to the deck? That's the only other thing I can think of.

If it ends up being the topper, you're in good hands with Blake or King P.

Still have to try a silica build, but for now, the cotton is working so good I don't want to mess with it.

Keep us posted!

yankeebobo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
Western MA
Well JPC, you've got the two herons to compare to each other. Screw heads, posts, deck. Look for glaring and it may be simple to identify visually. Heck even get creative with a caliper if you suspect. In all likelihood I'd be curious for my own self.
The good news though? You've got support ready to resolve. :)

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
OK. Ripped out the ceramic braid I tried on the first build. Seems like the ceramic wasn't transferring the juice from the fluff to the coil well enough, and after a few hits I could taste the wick through the juice, and it wasn't a pleasant taste. I've used this ceramic in drippers only before with good results, so maybe it needs to be wetter than what the fluff can transfer. Or maybe I'm not using enough/too little fluff for that type of wick.

Anyway, rebuilt now using KGD cotton with the topper cap. No shorts or anything like that. Flavor is much better, and TH is spot on. No gurgling or dry hits. I'm also using 28ga, 4 wraps. A buddy of mine 'borrowed' my multimeter, so until the 510 adapter arrives, not sure what resistance I'm running, but by the warmth of the vapor I estimate it around .7 to .9. Might be lower because the Heron tank, and even the drip tip get a little warm after chain vaping.

I'd be interested to hear what happens when you swap the topper caps. From everything you said, that's what I'm thinking is the culprit. Have you checked to make sure both posts are screwed all the way down to the deck? That's the only other thing I can think of.

If it ends up being the topper, you're in good hands with Blake or King P.

Still have to try a silica build, but for now, the cotton is working so good I don't want to mess with it.

Keep us posted!

Very cool! Yeah I didn't think you'd run into any issues. And I didn't with my other one; it's just this one....I've built it every way I can think of with 28ga (Ekowool, Silica, Cotton, you name it).....it still shorts with the topper installed.

I will fiddle with it when I get home from work and will keep you posted. thanks for trying the same build I was using!! :)

JP

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
Well JPC, you've got the two herons to compare to each other. Screw heads, posts, deck. Look for glaring and it may be simple to identify visually. Heck even get creative with a caliper if you suspect. In all likelihood I'd be curious for my own self.
The good news though? You've got support ready to resolve. :)

Absolutely. I will try dissassembling both Herons tonight....and yes, bringing home calipers from work is a fantastic idea!! :)

I will keep you all posted...hopefully it's something easy to figure out with a bit of detective work!! :D

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
Just don't get to hang up on it. No need. I'm just a curious George. Example I would be curious if it's just the deck or a combo. But a replacement is in the wings and that's the biggest plus here. Support is on the ball.

I am curious too! I was telling Perseas via PM that I am a field service technician by trade (for a medical instruments company), so I would be very interested to see what exactly the culprit is. I emailed Blake at Domo to tell him about the situation, and asked him if a replacement Heron would make sense here. We'll see what he says first......

I will keep you all posted, and thanks a lot for all your help!! :)

Idaholandho

Gone Fishin'
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Reading Naked
LOL, remember my post just above when I estimated that my coil was running between .7 and .9? Just got the Heron 510 cap and put it on the meter. ... .83! Good guess eh?
Nice!

Your best friend in vaping seen here :)
HEXKGYM.jpg

Idaholandho

Gone Fishin'
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Reading Naked
Oh, for sure Idaho, I have an Innova 3320. A friend of mine needed to borrow it, and just got it back today. A vaper without a multimeter is like a doctor without a stethoscope!

Ah, great friend!
That finally got around lol, I just pmd a gp fam member that in a mm discussion.

VapinBill

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Michigan
Looks nice, VapinBill! How did you connect your Heron to the Provari mini? And do you really vape at the movies?

Like JP said, the new 510 connector does it.
I vape at the movies and restaurants. I try to be stealthy with 1.3 to 1.7 builds using high PG. 70 to 30 ratio. Less clouds the better.

Todai

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2014
Sweet! I heard a 510 connector was coming for the Heron but didn't know it was in stock already. Just picked one up at the Vapourart site along with some small parts. This time I chose Bulgarian Post instead of DHL. Let's see how long this takes...

Miro mailed me a switch insulator on June 5 via BP*. I just got it today June 21. That should give you an idea. Not that bad for normal mail from the other side of the world, I guess. DHL gets to me in 2 days, and that includes weekends.

*Thank you Perseas and Miro! :)

Last edited:

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
I just wanted to share a very small tip that I just came across when re-wicking my Heron. I am currently using a 6-wrap 28ga micro coil wicked with cotton. I noticed that I was getting dry hits, and I could not figure out why. My cotton was not too thick, and I had plenty poking up through the cotton topper to make contact with my fluff...

Well, as it turns out, it's BECAUSE I had plenty poking up through the topper....that's why I was getting dry hits! I theorized that the excess cotton was getting "squashed" down, which in effect was blocking the juice flow down to the coil. So, I trimmed off about 1-2mm of excess wick above the cotton topper and now the Heron is vaping a treat!!

Here is what I have right now...I think that the reduced "tail" makes better contact with the fluff, thereby improving wicking....just thought I'd pass it along to those who may be wicking their Herons with cotton... :)

20140622_195203.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread