Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Reading Naked

faitaccompli

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
Fredericksburg, VA
Sooo. I am on my 3rd fluff build (thanks for the tips in the other thread). A few things, though. The whistle... ever present unless I close the the airflow a bit :(. I am also now getting a bit of overwicking and some gurgling from time to time (to the point that I get juice in my mouth). What in the world am I doing wrong??? It is so incredibly simple that I can't possibly be this jacked up lol. I refuse to believe that this thing requires super specific lengths of cotton for wick and fluff... and a specific amount of juice only. I even get some gurgle after I have vaped off a good bit of the juice in the fluff.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
Sooo. I am on my 3rd fluff build (thanks for the tips in the other thread). A few things, though. The whistle... ever present unless I close the the airflow a bit :(. I am also now getting a bit of overwicking and some gurgling from time to time (to the point that I get juice in my mouth). What in the world am I doing wrong??? It is so incredibly simple that I can't possibly be this jacked up lol. I refuse to believe that this thing requires super specific lengths of cotton for wick and fluff... and a specific amount of juice only. I even get some gurgle after I have vaped off a good bit of the juice in the fluff.

I am not sure if this is what you're running into, but I found that I was getting some gurgle as well. I managed to trace it back to a poor seal between the red O-Ring on the top of the cotton topper and the bell. This poor seal was due to the fact that I had small amounts of fluff in the way, so it was allowing juice to get up into the inside of the bell.

Try this: pull the tank off of the base, and take a few pulls out of the drip tip. If you're still getting gurgling, then it means that juice is getting up into the pathway inside the bell (and consequently up into your mouth). This is how I found out what was going on. I resolved the issue by taking a flathead screwdriver and clearing the small amounts of fluff away from the bottom of the bell so I get a better seal between O-Ring and bell...

hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com

I did dozens of builds for Spheroid and Heron, to establish the correct length of fluff for the viscosity of my liquid, others have succeeded from the first time. It is simple from the moment you master it and it will be out of your concern afterwards.

Last edited:

Darthpistachio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
United Kingdom

Even though I advised along time ago about enlarging the bore on the bell and the team did indeed do this - I have since found that when I received my replacement bell it was still prone to a bit of gurgle - nowhere near as bad as originally but still present - I measured found that the makers had enlarged the bore of the bell pipe to approx 2.5mm diameter - more than likely machined with a 2.5mm drill bit which is actually 2.45mm in actual diameter.

I used various sizes of drills going up ever so slightly in diameter until I found the gurgle was absolutely and totally gone - this diameter turned out to be 2.7mm - so get hold of a 2.7mm drill bit which when measured will be actually 2.65mm but depending on machining method will yield a hole of 2.65-2.7mm diameter.

This sorted it out totally on all the bells I have machined subsequently for people I know with the Heron :)

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com
Even though I advised along time ago about enlarging the bore on the bell and the team did indeed do this - I have since found that when I received my replacement bell it was still prone to a bit of gurgle - nowhere near as bad as originally but still present - I measured found that the makers had enlarged the bore of the bell pipe to approx 2.5mm diameter - more than likely machined with a 2.5mm drill bit which is actually 2.45mm in actual diameter.

I used various sizes of drills going up ever so slightly in diameter until I found the gurgle was absolutely and totally gone - this diameter turned out to be 2.7mm - so get hold of a 2.7mm drill bit which when measured will be actually 2.65mm but depending on machining method will yield a hole of 2.65-2.7mm diameter.

This sorted it out totally on all the bells I have machined subsequently for people I know with the Heron :)

Hi Fabio!

Thank you very much for your input! As I said to you the first time, the gurgling is many times associated with other factors build-related. I'll take into consideration your suggestion for the future releases of Heron. The challenge with a wider bore is that many times, affects the draw and some people may not like it, no matter if you adjust the AFC accordingly. However, I have observed the popularity of wide bores in the States.

Darthpistachio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
United Kingdom
Indeed Perseas - I would even go so far as to state that I would only consider widening the bore IF despite having tried everything else the gurgling is still present - which means that with the juice that the owner is using -- the viscosity does not suit the bore diameter as standard and then I would suggest opening it out to 2.7mm to eliminate the issue

I have found that if you are using a PG dominant juice it will probably never occur as the juice is so thin ..

but at anything above 50/50 ratio - at least for me personally - I got the gurgling - and it was eliminated when boring out all the bells to 2.7mm :)

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com
Indeed Perseas - I would even go so far as to state that I would only consider widening the bore IF despite having tried everything else the gurgling is still present - which means that with the juice that the owner is using -- the viscosity does not suit the bore diameter as standard and then I would suggest opening it out to 2.7mm to eliminate the issue

I have found that if you are using a PG dominant juice it will probably never occur as the juice is so thin ..

but at anything above 50/50 ratio - at least for me personally - I got the gurgling - and it was eliminated when boring out all the bells to 2.7mm :)

I've found from experience that that diameter gives the best compromise - the missus prefers a tight draw and prefer a looser draw and that diameter bore coupled to adjustments with the AFC can satisfy both our requirements :)

We had the same results during testing and we went to the road of 50/50 PG/VG in order to affect the draw as less as possible.

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
I am not sure if this is what you're running into, but I found that I was getting some gurgle as well. I managed to trace it back to a poor seal between the red O-Ring on the top of the cotton topper and the bell. This poor seal was due to the fact that I had small amounts of fluff in the way, so it was allowing juice to get up into the inside of the bell.

Try this: pull the tank off of the base, and take a few pulls out of the drip tip. If you're still getting gurgling, then it means that juice is getting up into the pathway inside the bell (and consequently up into your mouth). This is how I found out what was going on. I resolved the issue by taking a flathead screwdriver and clearing the small amounts of fluff away from the bottom of the bell so I get a better seal between O-Ring and bell...

hope this helps! :)

I've also found that condensation build up between the bottom of the drip tip to where it fits into the bell causes me gurgling. a quick swab or a quick exhale puff (when vertical) clears it up for me.

Idaholandho

Gone Fishin'
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Reading Naked
wKF5mDH.jpg

Thanks P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread