Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Great to hear the rain stopped for you Papaw!!!!

The yellow tomcat is still here, and now he has been knocking over my flower pots lately. (3) This is where I draw the line. He follows me around when I take the flowers out for sun. Then his tail has knocked some off the little table. Today it was a bigger pot. I have been fairly accepting, but this may be the final straw. Still I don't want to call animal control on him. Any helpful ideas out there?

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

The yellow tomcat is still here, and now he has been knocking over my flower pots lately. (3) This is where I draw the line. He follows me around when I take the flowers out for sun. Then his tail has knocked some off the little table. Today it was a bigger pot. I have been fairly accepting, but this may be the final straw. Still I don't want to call animal control on him. Any helpful ideas out there?
Wait him out. He'll move on eventually.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Looks like this storm put itself in gear and really took off overnight. Something got a hold of it and blew it up north all of a sudden. Satellite images show we are at the end of this thing. The sun is out now. For how long I don't know.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.

you have a dog... ;)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Yes, I have a dog. I don't want either to get hurt though. (especially MY DOG) One scratch in the eye, and my dog could go blind. I think the next place I get needs a fence all the way around the house. That would certainly deter any cats from wanting to call my place their territory.
I never saw a fence stop a cat. I think it just amps up their curiosity. "Oh, look! A fence. Gee, I wonder what's on the other side".

Game over!

Cats will sit in one spot for two weeks straight if they think it means getting a mouse. They don't give up. :)

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
The fence alone won't stop the cats. Having a loose dog or two INSIDE that fence will be the deterrent. Of course my dogs are mostly house dogs. But the cat would never know when it was time for the dogs to be set loose inside the fence. Maybe it would make them wary, except late at night.

• Optimistic
Reactions: LAwaters

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
The fence alone won't stop the cats. Having a loose dog or two INSIDE that fence will be the deterrent. Of course my dogs are mostly house dogs. But the cat would never know when it was time for the dogs to be set loose inside the fence. Maybe it would make them wary, except late at night.
Yep, a dog inside a fence would make a nice deterrent for most cats. There are a few it wouldn't matter. Had a roommate with a big ole cat who, when let out in the morning, would bee line to the neighbor's yard and beat up their dog (a German Shepard mix). So I guess there's always exceptions. But by and large a fenced-in dog ought to keep a cat away.

BTW, we didn't mind that the cat beat up the neighbor dog because it was constantly barking at everything waking us up all the time. I think the cat was fed up with that dog too. :)

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014

Heartbreaking! Cats are so dang stubborn! And they know how to get our attention when they want it.

I’m not a good one for helpful ideas. I tend to take in rather than chase away. But no more! If you find a good solution, I’ll be learning along with you.

If there’s a local “no kill” group, they may be able to point you to a service that would trap humanely and find a home for pesky yellow tomcat. That’s what happened with my rescue Tigg’s second or third generation of relatives after him. His lineage had settled into the neighborhood and was reproducing year after year. So a trap and takeaway service was called in.

A vet or cat hospital might have names and numbers for you too.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Yep, a dog inside a fence would make a nice deterrent for most cats. There are a few it wouldn't matter. Had a roommate with a big ole cat who, when let out in the morning, would bee line to the neighbor's yard and beat up their dog (a German Shepard mix). So I guess there's always exceptions. But by and large a fenced-in dog ought to keep a cat away.

BTW, we didn't mind that the cat beat up the neighbor dog because it was constantly barking at everything waking us up all the time. I think the cat was fed up with that dog too. :)

A fence didn’t keep my friend’s neighbor’s cat out of her yard. She had warned her neighbor over and over because of her three big dogs. It didn’t turn out well for the poor, persistent kitty. My friend felt horrible. But she couldn’t stop the dogs in time. :(

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
LA, good idea. Animal control here will almost assuredly put this kitty to sleep for good. So it would have to be a no kill shelter.

Bronze, you aren't alone in the rain. A huge bolt of lightning just commenced here as I'm writing this. We had all the rain we need for a while. It was mostly a beautiful day, until the planes moved in. Now it isn't only raining, it is storming which is worse. I wish I could give them a piece of my mind on it, that is for sure.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Yes, I have a dog. I don't want either to get hurt though. (especially MY DOG) One scratch in the eye, and my dog could go blind. I think the next place I get needs a fence all the way around the house. That would certainly deter any cats from wanting to call my place their territory.

wellthennnnn... maybe PaPaw will let you borrow Urlacher ;)

Reactions: Bronze

Users who are viewing this thread