Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Papaw I have never had any ketchup based BBQ. Some may put a spoonful of it in there, but that is about it. My dad made some great sauce, but I don't have the recipe for it. If I do I forgot about it. I haven't cooked outdoors in a very long time. I did have his recipe for BBQ Chicken though. It is in a mountain of recipe boxes though.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I discovered Mountain Dew in a similar fashion. I was guzzling that stuff before anyone ever heard of it.

lol !
Mountain Dew here too !
When I was little - like before school even - my Grandpa in Kentucky would always have a pack of it waiting for me when we got there for vacation !

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Papaw I have never had any ketchup based BBQ. Some may put a spoonful of it in there, but that is about it. My dad made some great sauce, but I don't have the recipe for it. If I do I forgot about it. I haven't cooked outdoors in a very long time. I did have his recipe for BBQ Chicken though. It is in a mountain of recipe boxes though.

I'm sorry, maybe I should have said tomato-based. Most BBQ sauces you buy are tomato based, so it is basically Ketchup on steroids.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Red. But I'm a Chicago boy. They love their vinegar bbq here though. Oh, Boy!

Just buy a new carb. They don't cost anything and a rebuild kit is pert near what new costs anyway. Not a hard job. Get new fuel and air lines too and a new primer bulb n gas filter while you have it apart. The lines can be a little bit of a pain to thread through the gas tank. I find making a fish tape with wire to be the best method if the shoving & pulling method doesn't work. Some tanks are easier than others. My chainsaw was a pain until I went to the fish tape method.

Take photos in the event your Alzheimers kicks in and you forget where stuff goes. :)

Aaa, what was that we were discussing, I may need screen shots to remember where I have been and what I said.

I looked at the price, $15 with everything, amazing. The reviews that referenced my saw, said perfect fit and about a thirty minute job, I will do my usual time calculation - take someone else's estimate, multiply by three; it's still pretty good. If all of my messing with this thing doesn't work, I am going to do this. I like my dealership, they do good work and they charge for it. If I can do this myself, I will probably be over a hundred to the good.

Have you ever looked at youtube Steve's Small Engine Saloon for videos? I have been pretty impressed, he has one on carb rebuild but I will bet that much the information is transferable to a replacement.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Red. But I'm a Chicago boy. They love their vinegar bbq here though. Oh, Boy!

White. Pork (baby pig or Boston ....) cooked low heat (<250*F) for hours while basting with water/ vinegar mix. Add ketchup, mustard, spices to flavor in basting mix. And pull the meat from the bone (Never cut) before chopping.
Texas (ketchup based) BBQ looks like an afterbirth to me. Give me Carolina BBQ !

I kinda thought that’s how each of you would answer! I grew up on red BBQ sauces, but much prefer white. It’s my German heritage that makes me love LOVE vinegar.

The show also highlighted the requirements you set out, Brett. Shoulder or .... (not whole pig) and it just be pulled pork, not sliced. Again, that’s my favorite too.

Coleslaw served in restaurants tend to be missing any vinegar. Therefore, I don’t eat it. Must have vinegar!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Aaa, what was that we were discussing, I may need screen shots to remember where I have been and what I said.

I looked at the price, $15 with everything, amazing. The reviews that referenced my saw, said perfect fit and about a thirty minute job, I will do my usual time calculation - take someone else's estimate, multiply by three; it's still pretty good. If all of my messing with this thing doesn't work, I am going to do this. I like my dealership, they do good work and they charge for it. If I can do this myself, I will probably be over a hundred to the good.

Have you ever looked at youtube Steve's Small Engine Saloon for videos? I have been pretty impressed, he has one on carb rebuild but I will bet that much the information is transferable to a replacement.
Changing out the lines takes more effort than changing out the carb. Again, it depends on the saw though. Some are easier than others. If you buy a new carb try and get an oem instead of a Chinese knockoff. No explanation needed. Steve is one of the better small engine guys out there. And yes, many of the stuff is applicable. Try and find one with your model though because there are quirks with some of them.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
I'm sorry, maybe I should have said tomato-based. Most BBQ sauces you buy are tomato based, so it is basically Ketchup on steroids.

Tomato based and far too sugary for me.

white red??? huh?? with BBQ ribs?

BEER!!!! I'd go with a stout... or a Porter. ;)

besides, trying to hold a wine glass with BBQ sauced fingers is not proper ;) even Martha would agree with me on that...

No silly! The sauce. I agree though... definitely a stout. :)

Reactions: kkay59

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I recently saw the episode of State Plate that featured North Carolina. So I gotta ask our NC boys:

BBQ. Red or white? :)

Not from NC, but what the heck, I'll chime in whether I understand the rules or not. I am tomato based sauce fan. I start with KC Masterpiece. To that I add brown sugar and some vinegar, (gotta do vinegar) heat it and it is good. My daughter uses it a a dipping sauce for different things. I have been known to put it on a sandwich rather that ketchup or mustard.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
pulled pork, not sliced.

Coleslaw served in restaurants tend to be missing any vinegar. Therefore, I don’t eat it. Must have vinegar!

ALWAYS pulled pork !

I make a different coleslaw these days.
2 bags of slaw
1 can crushed pineapple - with about 1/4 of the juice
1 Can mandarin oranges - hand squished a bit - with about 1/4 of the juice
1 Cup raisins
1 Cup dried cranberries
1 cup sunflower seeds or sliced almonds
2 Cups Greek yogurt

For a non vinegar slaw - this is delicious

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Not from NC, but what the heck, I'll chime in whether I understand the rules or not. I am tomato based sauce fan. I start with KC Masterpiece. To that I add brown sugar and some vinegar, (gotta do vinegar) heat it and it is good. My daughter uses it a a dipping sauce for different things. I have been known to put it on a sandwich rather that ketchup or mustard.
Many of the red sauces are vinegar based too. Including SBRs. Second ingredient listed.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Stay away from Buckin' Billy Ray Smith. He talks another language and you learn little from him.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
ALWAYS pulled pork !

I make a different coleslaw these days.
2 bags of slaw
1 can crushed pineapple - with about 1/4 of the juice
1 Can mandarin oranges - hand squished a bit - with about 1/4 of the juice
1 Cup raisins
1 Cup dried cranberries
1 cup sunflower seeds or sliced almonds
2 Cups Greek yogurt

For a non vinegar slaw - this is delicious

Now that sounds like a yummy slaw!

The restaurant stuff has just cabbage, maybe carrots, sugar and mayo. That’s it. Pretty bland without vinegar to my tastebuds.

• Agree
Reactions: EleanorR

Users who are viewing this thread