Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I tried all the other gimmicks, including pills, to quit and it didn’t work. What did work was an ecig with a high enough does of nicotine to get me through the rough spots, lower nicotine when things were smoother. If your system is working for you, that’s fantastic. If it fails in the end, try quitting using an ecig juice that has a decent dose of nicotine in it, anywhere from 12mg to 24mg and then start cutting down from there as time goes by.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
after 15 years of a pack a day, and failures with patches, wellbutrin, cold turkey, chantix, all it took was the crappy little FIN's and a nagging wife. been virtually analog free for 8 months. (think i've had about 10 cigs while golfing in that time)

It's so much easier with a "buddy system" - lol.

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
I smoked for 30+ years 1-1/2 packs a day and tried the patch, gum, lozenges and cold turkey.
Actually made it 2 weeks with the patch.
Tried a cigalike e-cig and cut my smoking in half but gave up because they were a pain.
Tried a joye ego-c kit and almost made it, but the little leaky tanks were a pain too.
I finally got a Joye twist and a Vision vivi nova and cut way down but, since I was still smoking, I figured I was probably just getting even more addicted and gave up again late last year and put my e-cig stuff up.

When I started vaping (20mg) again about 6 months ago, I allowed myself to smoke as much as I wanted, I just had to stand in the kitchen doing nothing else. Whenever I wanted a cigarette, I'd vape some first and then the cig wasn't as satisfying.

Cut down to 20 a day right away and focused on the ones I didn't smoke. I found myself putting smoking off longer and longer because I didn't want to leave the computer and go stand in the kitchen. I'd open a new pack every morning and give the open one to my wife after counting them. I was dropping 1 cigarette a day like it was planned that way. After about month I was down to 2-3 a day. Made myself smoke 1 a day for the next month to keep me from thinking they were better than they really were. Found I didn't feel better after my daily cig after all.

After that, the only time I really wanted one is with my morning coffee and after meals. A strong slightly unpleasant tasting tobacco juice REALLY helped with that. Guess I needed the aftertaste.

I knew I had finally succeeded when I made it through my Friday night drinking & poker games sitting at a table full of smokers.
I couldn't just stop. Some people can but I certainly couldn't. It was a process. Vaping is different from smoking and it takes some time to get used to it. Even changing cigarette brands is hard. I just focused on the progress.

I don't miss cigarettes at all. I rarely even notice my wife's smoking anymore. I've ordered her some better stuff and hope the upgrade from a fixed battery and CE5 will help her quit too.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
How did you stop smoking?

Over the last decade, except for hypnosis and acupuncture, you name it, I've tried it. Honestly, the best success I had up until now was with Chantix, but at the time my prescription plan only paid for one month's supply.

With every other method I tried, the craving for a cigarette never lessened. And without going into detail, some of the things I was going through always seemed to provide me with a good reason to buy another pack (or carton) of cigarettes.

I certainly do still think about smoking from time to time (even though I really don't "miss" it, sometimes I think about how I'd normally be having a cigarette while doing certain things) but after the first several days of vaping I stopped thinking about buying cigarettes.

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
I had a long well thought out and heartfelt post written with my thoughts on the politics of cigarettes and the politicians who make laws in order to tax and regulate our daily lives and control what we do and how we do it...under the pretext of being "for our own good"...
The post took me about an hour to type up but alas, unknown to me the site logged me off while I had been composing my thoughts.
Thus, when i hit the submit button, my post disappreared into cyberspace and I was presented with the usual "you're not logged in page"

Anyway, I have no love lost for Democrats (and their rhino pals) who are always looking for ways to regulate "we the people"..."for our own good"...

Yes, after being a smoker for over forty years, I've tried numerous times to quit using nicotine gums, patches and lozenges all to no avail.
The only thing that has worked is vaping...but now the "for our own good" politicians are threatening to send me back to cigarettes by slapping new regulations on the e cig industry. Thanks alot to the big D legislators like nancy pelosi, harry reid and the dhali bamma !

sincerely,
FoggingKatrider

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
tried every method...patches, lozenges, hypnosis, acupuncture, lazer, meds, cold turkey, cig a likes 5 years ago,cold turkey you name it...well over 30 tries...My ego/evod knock off and a bottle of juice worked for me ...with no effort in 3 day I was smoke free....over 3 months now...everyone is alive,,,,I am still married (one cold turkey attempt ended in a divorce)...I am sane and even loosing weight

deanthemachine

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
OKC, OK
I tried all the methods you mentioned. I even got the lozenges,from England,when they were not available here. You said you are 27. I am 51 and at 48 the fags were kicking my ..... I could not breathe and would choke on my own saliva. I got a Blu kit and was determined to make it work. I moved up to the Egos,then a Vamo and now a Provari. You are young,but do it NOW. Stop smoking. Vaping does work,I have been quit for 2.6 yrs,love the smell,but hate the taste. Get a good set up. The Blus helped me see this would work,but short battery life frustrated me. Egos 1100 and a carto tank and good juice will work. Do it for your lungs. Imagine being smothered to death,gasping for air. Vaping will make the world of difference. Cheers and good luck to you:toast:

You hate the taste of vaping? You might be the first I have heard say that.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I quit cold turkey once and it lasted 5 years. Then I bummed ONE cigarette and was back smokin the next day.

Vaping changed all that. Got my vape gear 15+ months ago, (ego twists and a vmod at that time) and just never bought cigs again.

I still get to puff, blow vapor, all the stuff that i missed when I went cold turkey and I can honestly say I would never pick up a cig again now that I can vape

Sane Asylum

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
Maryland, USA
How did I quit? I found vaping and that was it. Basically went cold turkey from cigarettes to vaping. It amazes me that I did it.

I loved the 'ritual' of smoking. There's something soothing about puffing and inhaling. I think that's why it works for so many of us. We still have the ritual. No, it's not quite the same but it's a trade off. A good trade off. Nope, it's a fantastic trade off.

The mystery of this transition is that many of us have been able to slowly lower our nicotine strength. This is something I couldn't do with smoking cigarettes. An ultra light cigarette was like sucking air to me but with vaping, I'm not 'feeling' that. As so many here have suggested, is our 'addiction' more about the ritual than the nicotine. And that is why patches and gum don't work like they 'should'? This is something I ponder a lot.

rhodzy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Yorkshire, England
www.rhodzy.com
How did I stop smoking? With e-cigs. Did the patches & gum & cold turkey & Wellbutrin. Wasn't going anywhere near Chantix/Champix because of the insane (almost literally) potential side effects. None of it worked. I tried so many times I couldn't even give you a number any more. I can't even remember the count.

The only reason e-cigs worked - and "all of that" didn't - was e-cigs were the only thing that got rid of smoking while allowing you to maintain all that smoking type behavior. The oral thing, the flavor, the pacing of how you use it, the futzing with something in your hands, even the "smoke" sensations from seeing the vapor and feeling it to something as silly as blowing vape rings. Now try to equate taking a pill once a day or gluing a patch of "stuff" onto your arm to a 30 year history of learned habits from smoking. Oh yeah - you can't. That's one big reason why they don't work. Sure didn't for me.

Not sure why e-cigs didn't work for you. Care to fill us in some more? For some people it was the older technology - just insufficient for what they wanted out of the experience. But sooo much has changed - even in the last two years - that vaping becomes a whole new game practically every six months.

And, of course, you have to have a genuine desire to quit. None of these methods will work for anyone who simply has no desire to quit.

I'm not saying ecigs didn't work for me, I think the possible reason was down to me not being ready to quit, I did quit on them but my stubbornness thinking I could go out have a drink and smoke and then go back probably had something to do with it! My first ecig was bought a couple of years ago, had to order it from America before they came to England with a boom, I can also remember the looks I used to get when using it! Quite funny now looking back

With regards to the champix, I was scared about the side effects but to be honest the only real ones I have had so far are strange dreams, trouble sleeping. Apart from that nothing... I know what you mean about filling in the gaps and I guess that is why I have opted to go back to ecigs as I feel something is missing, I definitely couldn't have done it without the champix and ecig combo though.

rhodzy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Yorkshire, England
www.rhodzy.com
Thank you for the replies, I do like hearing about all the ways you have quit and that I am not alone with failing multiple times!

I've only been quit for a short time this time, but in my head I am more determined to stay quit that ever before!

I'm not really noticing the money racking up like I thought I would (must be using it somewhere else) but at £10 a day I would rather spend it on something else than some little cancer sticks!

Toots Aplenty

Oct 31, 2013
Iowa
The only reason e-cigs worked - and "all of that" didn't - was e-cigs were the only thing that got rid of smoking while allowing you to maintain all that smoking type behavior. The oral thing, the flavor, the pacing of how you use it, the futzing with something in your hands, even the "smoke" sensations from seeing the vapor and feeling it to something as silly as blowing vape rings. Now try to equate taking a pill once a day or gluing a patch of "stuff" onto your arm to a 30 year history of learned habits from smoking. Oh yeah - you can't. That's one big reason why they don't work. Sure didn't for me.
I have the same issue. It's just simply satisfying to exhale thick mist as well as enjoy the flavors. There's something mystical about it and my girlfriend would say it's a turn-on watching me do it when we'd puff on the hookah :D

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston, TX
I tried time and time again. Even was on multiple things at once and still smoked using them. Once I got diagnosed with adhd I realized why I had such a hard time and resigned myself to the fact that I may never quit. My Co workers vape and it just looked fun. Stopped in one day at my local store looked around pondered for another day and went back. Got a small 650 and went back two days later for an 1100. Finished off the analogs I had. Mostly cause I just could not see throwing them away since I had already spent the money on them. Once the last one was gone I was done. Have not had one since. Still can't taste flavors right but the bad flavor beats an analog. Bad part is vaping does not help my insurance rates but it does make me fell better and that's all that matters. Good luck to you!

duke916

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2013
Perth Western Australia
I gave up by accident. It was after doing a long haul flight back to the Uk from Australia to visit relatives. 12 hrs without a cigarette was murder for me, I was practically chewing my own arm off with frustration, during that flight. While I was in the uk I noticed that they were selling e-cigs in the supermarkets over there. So I bought some for the flight back to Oz. During those long flight hrs the e-cigs really did take away all of my cravings. So I decided to make the switch over to vaping. Of course at the time I didn't know you were not supposed to use them on a plane :p . I have not smoked a real cigarette since and don't intend to as long as I can vape.

rhodzy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Yorkshire, England
www.rhodzy.com
haha nice! I bought some rubbish ones on a Ryan Air flight to Poland a few months back, they had no vapor! RUBBISH!

We ended up chewing them for a laugh, pretty sure it was just some card board rolled up! buy hey... with Ryan Air you can't expect any less! haha

Yeah I didn't know you werent allowed to use them on the plane eeither... got told on way to Poland hence buying the rubbish ones!

I gave up by accident. It was after doing a long haul flight back to the Uk from Australia to visit relatives. 12 hrs without a cigarette was murder for me, I was practically chewing my own arm off with frustration, during that flight. While I was in the uk I noticed that they were selling e-cigs in the supermarkets over there. So I bought some for the flight back to Oz. During those long flight hrs the e-cigs really did take away all of my cravings. So I decided to make the switch over to vaping. Of course at the time I didn't know you were not supposed to use them on a plane :p . I have not smoked a real cigarette since and don't intend to as long as I can vape.

Toots Aplenty

Oct 31, 2013
Iowa
I gave up by accident. It was after doing a long haul flight back to the Uk from Australia to visit relatives. 12 hrs without a cigarette was murder for me, I was practically chewing my own arm off with frustration, during that flight. While I was in the uk I noticed that they were selling e-cigs in the supermarkets over there. So I bought some for the flight back to Oz. During those long flight hrs the e-cigs really did take away all of my cravings. So I decided to make the switch over to vaping.

I first discovered ecigs when I was at the gas station. They had one of those Blu disposables on the counter for $10 so I picked one up to vape at the bar with friends later that night and when it ran out of juice I found myself disappointed and wanting more because it was great to be able to puff on it while watching TV and sipping a rum and coke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread