How much $$$ did smoking cost & what have spent your savings on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I wonder how old the data on that site is? It shows $5.85 for PA. I was paying over $6.00 back in 2013, and PA has has a substantial cig tax increase since then.

I was surprised at the prices, too. But, I haven't bought a pack since early 2011 and the stores don't put out huge signs bragging about cigarette prices anymore, so I'm out of touch.

At the bottom of the page it shows 2012.

Current calculation is based on smoking 10 cigarettes per day at an average cost of $4.49 a box in Georgia according to the latest statistics from Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids (January 6th, 2012).
Factsheet : State Excise & Sales Taxes Per Pack of Cigarettes - Total Amounts and State Rankings

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I was spending about 3k a year, now vaping four years have spent somewhere around that total.

But then, there’s really no savings because my income changed dramatically when I lost my husband and therefore his paycheck. I’m basically just not spending money I don’t have.

Between that and cutting the cable for streaming, I’m living pretty well on a fixed income, and that’s a win enough for me.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I wonder if Rhode Island is a small tobacco state ;)

South Ga is/used to be full of tobacco growers. I once had an in-law relative back in the 70s whose Dad owned and farmed several hundred acres of tobacco and other crops. As a teenager we'd go into the tobacco curing barn while visiting them for the weekend and roll up a roll-your-own cigar for kicks. They were terrible without all the flavor additives that BT adds!

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
My switch date was in February of 2011. I had cut my smoking costs a long time before that. For a dozen years or so, I smoked 'stuff your own' cigarettes. A raise in taxes had again driven cigarette prices up. However, 'pipe tobacco' was exempted in our state. Some of the pipe tobacco, which sold pretty inexpensively was closer to cigarette tobacco in flavor, but had a bit of pipiness to it. And gosh, it was stong and somewhat harsh.

'Stuff your own,' (my expression) is done via loose tobacco sold in bags along with emtpy filtered cigarette tubes sold by the carton. A hand ratchet machine stuffed the tobacco into the hollow tubes...one at a time. This process is about the same as the cigarette manufacturer's use, but rather low on the automation scale. It was very easy to watch an hour long drama on TV while making up a batch. Casually, I could make about one a minute, or if I hustled, about 30 seconds each.

I smoked about 2 1/4 packs a day (would have been ~3 of Marlboros). I did this for quite a while at a cost of $16.60 (cost at time of ending smoking) a week. Switching to vaping actually cost me quite a bit over smoking...for a while. Chasing the Dragon of vaping kept me testing new flavors and hardware over the 1st many years. I don't recall excatly when I broke even, but it may be in my financial records. Of course that all involved the transistion from cigalikes and cartomizers to more modern atomizers and power devices.

All in all, I was spending $16.60 / week average on smoking. When I switched, I didn't look back except for I had about 1 1/2 cartons worth of stuffing supplies laying around. A few years after switching, I decided I didn't want them around. I remoisturized the tobacco, stuffed it all up and smoked them (outdoors) at a rate of 5 or 6 a day over a month or so. Afterwards I didn't have the desire to smoke, though before I had wondered if I were tempting fate.

Recently Blu's were offered for $1 each with free shipping. I bought 10 to test and give away. I realized after I ordered, the the $10 I spent was the 1st I had spent this year on vaping...past half way through the year. I'm still working on a 10' piece of Rayon that I got several years ago for a dollar or two. I guess I'll have to get a box of Rayon at some point and would be happy to find someone to go in on that with me...I know no local vapers to speak of.

Being stocked up and going flavorless has cut my vaping expenses to near nil. DIY flavorless saves on flavorings and no manufactured ejuice costs. Also, I've come to believe that flavorings drive not only liquidware, but chasing hardware as well. My wicks don't need changing very often. Coils last near indefinitely. My current attomizers are satisfactory. Batteries need occasional replacing. Vaping has become quite routine...about like smoking was. I'll mix a 120ml bottle of flavoless and that lasts the better part of 3 mos.

Unless something significantly different comes along in the way of liquidware (nic base w/WTA?) or hardware (piezo-electric or other vaporizing system?), I doubt much will change for me. I'm no longer in the chase and other than a limited amount of supplies, I can't see I'll need much for my remaining years (near 70 y.o. at present).

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
'Stuff your own,' (my expression) is done via loose tobacco sold in bags along with emtpy filtered cigarette tubes sold by the carton. A hand ratchet machine stuffed the tobacco into the hollow tubes...one at a time. This process is about the same as the cigarette manufacturer's use, but rather low on the automation scale. It was very easy to watch an hour long drama on TV while making up a batch. Casually, I could make about one a minute, or if I hustled, about 30 seconds each.

Way back in the early 70's I used a Laredo do it yourself cigarette making kit. It was a novelty for a while and it worked fine. It was just more convenient to buy a pack every morning.

Vaping was the cure for smoking when I started with a Joye 510 and an eGo.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Way back in the early 70's I used a Laredo do it yourself cigarette making kit. It was a novelty for a while and it worked fine. It was just more convenient to buy a pack every morning....
LimEd Toulouse Street LP came with a rolling machine & papers in a logo pouch.
Not sure if it was for tobacco. They were The Doobie Brothers.
doobiebros-tolous-lp.JPG

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
there is and when I did a Google on the pickled onion monster munch.. it sent me to some weird XXX rated sites...
thats why I prefered to ask instead...

Monster Munch. ... Monster Munch are a baked corn snack, manufactured by Walkers, in the shape of monster's feet. They are aimed at children and widely consumed in the United Kingdom. Flavours include Roast Beef, Pickled Onion and Flamin' Hot.
iSVeVvt.jpg

Mars is a British chocolate bar. It was first manufactured in 1932 in England. Mars is also sold in the United States, under the "Milky Way" name.
dSHIn2b.jpg

Was costing me on average $350 a week. $150 per carton about $18.50 per pack. I haven't done a "how much have I saved" but I have purchased this plus about 10 other 30ml bottles of e liquid. All I know is I'm saving major $$ plus I'm no longer slowing killing myself!!!
5ca3935d8fc404bf1071854fc3866a30.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
6 months ago I was spending $45US a week on smoking (I'm in NZ)

Since then I've been able to buy a new phone, tablet, clothing and waaaaaaaaaay too much vape gear ;)

For the first few months it felt like I'd won a small lottery ticket each week - until I started buying vape gear :rolleyes:

Interested in what you have spent your 'winnings' on :w00t:
I spend $50 a month on eliquid vs $150+ on 3 carton of cigarettes. My building supplies are so cheap i only spend like $15 every few years lol. Also i spend $10 every 6 months or so on a pair of Samsung 25Rs 18650s so im saving atleast $75 a month. With that $75 savings i do what any self respecting vapor would do...i buy more gear lol! I kid but i do try to save some of that money for a new mod in case the one im using breaks(and it will eventually)

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I did not save any money on quitting smoking, I just stopped wasting money on smoking.
In 4+ years I have spend about $800 on vaping (very rough estimate), mostly on beginner experiments. During last year I spent about $80. I believe now I need not more than $100 per year to continue vaping.
Potential health benefits are more important than money (potential - because I did not feel any harm from smoking). And I promised my wife to try hard not to die before her, vaping - one of the results of my promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread