• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

How old were you when you came "out"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peeps

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Smithville, Missouri, United States
Peeps, that was a wonderful story...my grandmother died still waiting for me to find "a nice man" I never had the heart to tell her that wasnt going to happen. I cant even find a nice girl...lol

Hang in there, hotwheelz! I never knew true love until I was 38 and now I can't remember life without her. It'll happen...

Last edited:

Peeps

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Smithville, Missouri, United States
I found a nice man but that was the problem! When I came out my Grandmother sent me a letter quoting bible scriptures and basically danging me to hell, havent spoken to her since, she's 94 now and although she hates it and won't comment, my Mom tells her all the time how well my partner and I are doing.
My favorite Grandfather who passed many years ago kept asking my Mom why she was surprised. He was very accepting from day one! I only regret that he didn't live long enough to see my Mom finally accept me back into the family.

He knows, I'm confident of that :) He sounds like a wonderful man, stormi!

distorting a code

Jan 14, 2011
California
Well, I didnt realize I was gay but my best friend told me I was when I was 12.
Slowly I accepted that. I never fully came out at school but I wasnt hiding it either...everyone now tells me they knew..

When I went to highschool I kept to myself but still didnt hide that I was a lesbian. My mom asked me when I was 16 if I was gay and I denied it. I was afraid Id put her through a traumatic event and then fall in love with a guy, LOL.

Well, I officially came out 2.5 years ago (22). My whole family knows, my in-laws all know. Everyone on my side of the family loves my partner and doesnt care that Im gay. My partner's parents...well thats another story. Even though the rest of her family is ok with us!

jbblack

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Sherwood, AR
I started coming out at 16, first to my little godsister (who later turned out to be a lesbian), but it really didn't start rolling until I hit 17 and graduated high school. Then I worked up the nerve to come out to my dad. He didn't take it like I'd anticipated; I'd worked up this whole speech about it and he said "Yeah, we know. Want a beer?" Mom on the other hand wasn't nearly as accepting (at first). Now, she understands that had things turned out differently, then I wouldn't be the same person that I turned out to be....which is someone that she's come to respect, admire, trust, and become a very close friend to.

I decided at 22 that I wasn't going to play the selectively-out games anymore. I came fully out, and let the chips fall where they may. I've not regretted that move. Sure, I got snubbed by some folks and turned down for career moves, but I don't see those as losses, since neither friends nor careers are worth it to me if I have to live in fear of the repercussions for simply being myself.

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
It's so cool to read all of these stories. :D I'm 22 and just officially starting to come out. Like a lot of you, everyone else already knew, but it wasn't until I started getting physically close to girls the past couple of years that I figured it out. I tried dating a couple of guys, one of whom I loved like a brother and one of whom I still have a slight crush on, but even with the latter (who was the most perfect guy I could ever imagine-- even had a modded xbox 360!!!) there was still something missing. I knew when I kissed a girl for the first time (pretending to be a little drunker than I was at a party, hehe) that I liked it more than kissing guys, but I just thought I was bisexual. And then I got an actual girlfriend, and at the beginning of this year I started to feel the magic everyone talks about when I was with her. :D It was like being colorblind all your life and then suddenly seeing a rainbow in a colorful Hawai'ian forest.

So far my aunt, oldest 2 brothers, and dad have been really supportive. I've been dropping massive hints to my mom, youngest brother, and grandma, but they haven't completely acknowledged it with me or anything. I'm trying to let them figure it out on their own, and I think it's working, but who knows?

trichman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
USA
I knew I was gay at age 5. Came out at 21 and most had already figured it out. I was married for a minute and have a daughter who I am very close to. There was a lot of pressure to be straight as I lived in the bible belt. I left and moved to Hollywood at 23. Ended up with my partner who was from the same hometown as me that I met in college back home. We survived the aids crisis and lost over 30 friends during those dark days. We just celebrated our 35th anniversary. Ironically we now live in the same area we came from.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
Out? I'm bi and still in. heh. I must say it does make it hard to find someone when your stuck in this darn wardrobe.

Heh - bisexuals, the invisible group. Gay and straight alike think you're gay and just won't admit it. Stand and be counted.

Hey how do I join this group?

You just did. ;)

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
You just did. ;)
Good stuff

Heh - bisexuals, the invisible group. Gay and straight alike think you're gay and just won't admit it. Stand and be counted.
I'm bi only because I don't want to give up being straight. But these are just labels anyways, people are too quick to label everything IMO.

BiancaMontgomery

SQUIRREL!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
I came out to my mom over the weekend... mentioned it casually in passing in an email... she still hasn't remarked on it, even though she replied to the rest of the email. Ah well....

That's how they do. My Mom "knew" and still acted shocked when I told her LOL! Moms, gotta love em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread