Wicks for Iatty

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2008
Southern California
I thought it was only the XC that was shedding particles? I stopped using the fiberglass wick and was exclusive to the XC on my iatty but have developed a cough as well. I'm back on cartos now and have ordered some XS sleeving. Since it was the same material as the ce2 wick i thought it would be ok to use. Was I wrong to think this?

anyone know where to buy the ce2 wicks in china? my friend will be going thier and i'll ask him to buy me a spool hehehehe for lifetime supply, i get itchi throat on the fiberglass wick and cant order nextel ceramic due to export control

at the moment im using those fat ce2 rev5 wicks, but its kinda expensive to keep on using those wick from a ce2s

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
From what I gather - Nextel is a alumina-borica-silca fibre. - I intend not to inhale aluminum. I also will not intentionally inhale shedded microscopic fibers. Asbestosis is caused from inhaling microscopic fibers of asbestos. Who knows what you can get from inhaling the microscopic Nextel fibers. Just my 2 cents.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
All wicks have the same construction to my opinion Dspin amd all of them have the same issues. The mesh has same issues because of the rust on it.

ps.....Even if aluminium is safe either, alumina is a different material

ps2...... I dont think that we inhale any stuff by vaping. Liquid is very thick to allow anything come to our langs. My only concern is what wick we use (if it produce toxics)

Last edited:

Poppa D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Imeo, First off, thanks again for the iatty, it is special, you need to make more of them.

I tested the nextel wicks by first handling them over a smooth dark surface. The particle's off the wick accumulate very quickly, and they are significant and surprising.

After using the wick in the iatty for 24 hours I drained the fluid into a bottle, set it aside and refilled with fresh liquid. The used liquid is full of the nextel particles and they are visible to the eye.

I tryed using a filter in the iatty drip tip to filter the vapor. It filled with liquid very quickly, within a couple draws it gets clogged. So the liquid definitely is getting to the lungs.

I went back to the original wick. My cough, and shortness of breath went away.

I liked the nextel performance, but I wont use it. Since I am using the iatty, I can use whatever suits me.

Furthermore on the clogged wick subject.
Recently I returned to using my UFS with a quality 3.5 ohm atty, it showed signs of clogging within 24 hours. So it isn't necessarily a iatty issue. For me it is the ability to disassemble the iatty that allows me to inspect it, repair it, thus making me more aware.
All "other" atomizers are not capable of this, therefore they are used until they are used up.

Poppa D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
Minnesota, USA
When I got my XS-116 I located a nice bright light and stretched out a piece and "popped" it, and it produced a visible powder. The light makes it easily visible. I torched it, as I had the XC-116, it became soft in a rather odd stretchy way. Do to those 2 processes I have not used it to any extent.
It is possible that the Xs-116 may not need to be heat treated and would not get weird from the coils heat alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread