Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookworm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
USA
Not everyone has a psychiatrist. I'm sure it's hard to imagine, but some of us have made it through our entire lives without ever having had one. :laugh:
OP is schizophrenic so hopefully they DO have someone they can talk to about Chantix. It may be helpful or it may be dangerous, and only a professional should make that call.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It the OP has schizophrenia and knows it, he has a psychiatrist. Maybe one he is avoiding at the moment, IDK. But he has one.

Either that or he's been poorly and inadvisably diagnosed as schizophrenic by some PCP with a sense of "knowledge" that also happens. More than one would care to think.

Man, you know... OP, go find someone who is/was whatever your psychiatrist and see him.

Not only can I NOT imagine life without one, I have been with ONE pdoc only a few years less than I have been married. I love him to bits and pieces, and by that I mean he is smart (not from Arizona obviously and he is an MD/PhD) and we have trained each other to the point that I can SEE he's getting ready to wrap up his practice. It makes me want to cry.

Breaking in a new psychiatrist is like breaking in new boots only they're platforms and you have to dance on a stage, tied to a pair of concrete blocks and then bang your head repeatedly against the floor while ripping out handfuls of hair as you do it.

Thanks at lot @Rossum !

LOL and that is week ONE. Week two,. you get involuntaried to the psych unit.

Then, they take your kid. Etc.

I made my pdoc promise to do JOINT SESSIONS with my new doc until I was satisfied. AND he was the doc that told me to wear a wig and call me "Sally" when me and the husband were having marital issues. LOL.

He says he does "therapy" and I strongly disagree but he knows his meds up down and sideways, good enough so I don't die, but I like, get some discretion.

Anna

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I made my pdoc promise to do JOINT SESSIONS with my new doc until I was satisfied. AND he was the doc that told me to wear a wig and call me "Sally" when me and the husband were having marital issues. LOL.

Personally, I would avoid any pdoc that seemed to have more problems than myself.

Reactions: Bolivar

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Personally, I would avoid any pdoc that seemed to have more problems than myself.
In that case, I would guess you'd have to avoid all of them. I'm serious. My mother's second husband was a tenured professor of psychiatry at an Ivy League school of medicine. He had a lot of friends in the field. Not one of them was even close to sane.

Oh, and I'm deeply skeptical than anyone can predict what effect(s) Chantix will have in a particular individual.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If all that was needed to treat crazy was a bunch of sane wouldn't the real world suffice?

LOL I can't tell you how many folks have told me I am the "best therapist" they've ever had.

There are three types of mental health workers: a) the ones who are nuts, don't deal with it, and run around focusing on EVERYONE else. They may have sex with you during theapy… You will live to regret it however.

B) the ones whose families are nuts and they don't deal with IT, they run around fixating on everyone else, and those are the ones you want to stab in the throat (if you are me) like, repeatedly with a pen during staff meetings as they tell you what to do with every case in the agency EXCEPT THEIRS, and if you try to bring it up, they therapize you. It's BAD NEWS.

c) crazy people or people with crazy families who have dealt with it appropriately, decided the process is cool, they have climbed on the backs of OTHER nutso people, and they want to participate.

I am wary of types a) and b) @Rossum and you are correct, the legit crazy are like 25% of the field if you are LUCKY. Etc.

But nothing wrong with crazy oh I must eat now and have veered far off topic.
Bye.

Anna

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I got a squonk and it really it helps me not pick up the smokes. IDK having proper gear is a big one. But I'm kinda lazy and just pressing the bottle works for me instead of constantly dripping which was frustrating. The have mtl rdas if you are mtl vaper. I'm just suggesting things because I'm thinking maybe you're not satisfied by your vape? Try different setups until you find what satisfies you

Shrinks, etc. (Mechanics, builders, roadies, chefs, hookers) are just like any qualified tradespeople. There are good and, not so good. :2c: is that I needed to get myself in the mindset that vaping was going to make me stop reaching for the smokes and I listed the many negatives on my health & wallet continuing to smoke brought about. I made the resolute decision. Easy for me to say, I know, every little bit helps. And we all are different, some more than others.

P2PLeon

Toot This, Toot That, Toot Everything
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 19, 2015
    Middlesbrough,UK
    myvapingright.com
    Had my last puff about 12 midnight, now it is about 1:30 pm where i am, and woke up at 9:20am this morning and started to vape. Have been doing it since i got up.

Yes Temptation is still there as mother smokes, sister in law smokes, nephew smokes.

Doffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    Australia
    Had my last puff about 12 midnight, now it is about 1:30 pm where i am, and woke up at 9:20am this morning and started to vape. Have been doing it since i got up.

Yes Temptation is still there as mother smokes, sister in law smokes, nephew smokes.

well done, you are doing great :D

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I too love Snus. I started using it mainly for work, but dood, it also totally, I was in a stress induced relapse into smoking a few cigarettes a day. Using snus PLUS upping my nic totally cured that for me. I am also fairly certain it contains more of the alkaloids in tobacco than even WTA liquids, and it helped immensely,. I just had one of the most stressful weeks I've had ever, the kind where in the past I totally would have smoked (and even felt JUSTIFIED in so doing.) I did not. It occurred to me a couple times in a sort of theoretical way, but I was like, "Naahhh." It just didn't hold appeal.

It is also as good as or better harm reduction than vaping, and I have vaped at work (over 3 months) 0 times. I really have a lot of good to say about snus, although there are for sure folks who think it's not for them or "beneath them" or whatever.

I am just super grateful I tried it to be honest!!!!

If you have any interest, here is the snus thread: What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

You don't have to read it all the folks on that thread are super helpful and you can just ask questions. If you are US based you can get Swedish Snus at many gas stations under the name "American General Snus" (confusing I know) and a tin of snus that I use at work costs me about 3--4 bucks depending where I am.

It's a whole lot cheaper than smoking and it really has helped me a LOT, way more than nicotine only lozenges or gum would. It's also way better at knocking out the cigarettes.

I see you doing a lot of "more of the same" and "willpower" and that does not seem to be working out so well for you. I would respectfully suggest something DIFFRENT. Worst case you will be out 4 bucks , best case it might actually help you.

I will say I was not a huge fan of the taste at first, but my brain tends to associate "satisfaction" with "I like the taste of this" and so it passed. Etc.

Anna

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
    When I first discovered vaping in 2014. I fell in love immediately. At that time I lasted for a few days without smoking. Then returned to the dreaded cigarette. In my view, the vaping products in 2014 were not as great as they are now. First, I only stuck to 3 percent nicotine. Second, the coils lasted only a few days. Third, the learning curve was steep. All of this coupled with the fact that vaping was actually costing me more. I returned to cigarettes. I would try every now and then to vape. But whenever I picked up the vape. Either the coil was finished, battery needed to be charged, device had malfunctioned or I had to drive all the way down to my favorite vape shop.

Flash forward to 2018. I stopped smoking on November 3, 2018. I started by using the usual mods etc., and ordering my products on-line in advance to avoid the trip to the store. When I was starting to struggle. I suddenly discovered pods and nic-salt. This was exactly what I needed.

Again, my view but if you’re using it to quit smoking, nic-salt and the pod systems are the way to go. If it wasn’t for that I would likely not have survived with my traditional vaping mods. I have been cigarette smoke free since November 3, 2018. I take it day by day with no presumption that I won’t return to cigarette smoking. Because anything is possible. However, because of nic-salt pod systems. I have had no desire. Even in the most stressful of situations where I would have returned to the cigarette. I haven’t yet.

I use to regularly hate myself for smoking cigarettes (almost 27 years). I never believed I could go even a week without a cigarette.

I will spare you the usual clichés of “believe in yourself” etc., I didn’t even have to try to quit once I discovered the pod systems.

Continue to search for what works best and don’t give up. I know this isn't an option for all. But when it came to quitting I didn't consider what I was spending. I just thought to myself, "if its helping me quit, I don't care." In the first month of quitting I spent close to $1000 on various products, ordering juices, DIY supplies, RDA supplies etc., I don't recommend that. However, again all I wanted was to go without a cigarette. Now that I am making my own juice and using my own coils. I am barely visiting the vape shop. The investment was worth it. I only buy my Juul pods. Which in my view are cost efficient compared to a pack of smokes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread