rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Interesting, I really like the 1.6Ω coils--never experienced what you described with those. I haven't used the 1.2Ω ones a lot, though.
    So your mod doesn't read a higher ohm as the coil gets older? Mine always do.For example, I have a .8 in my zenith. Put it in yesterday morning and it is already at .84. In a few days it will register around .88 and keep climbing over the next month. I always notice a decline in vapor and hit strength and will change the coil or clean it when it gets too noticeable.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    So your mod doesn't read a higher ohm as the coil gets older? Mine always do.For example, I have a .8 in my zenith. Put it in yesterday morning and it is already at .84. In a few days it will register around .88 and keep climbing over the next month. I always notice a decline in vapor and hit strength and will change the coil or clean it when it gets too noticeable.

OK, just checked both coils on two different mods (after ~2 weeks of intermittent use). The .8 coil reads .82 and .86, respectively. The 1.6 coil reads 1.64 and 1.66, respectively. I don't know what they read 2 weeks ago when I first installed them. I'll pay more attention from now on. Maybe it's your eliquids? Do you use a lot of flavoring? I don't, just barely there.

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    OK, just checked both coils on two different mods (after ~2 weeks of intermittent use). The .8 coil reads .82 and .86, respectively. The 1.6 coil reads 1.64 and 1.66, respectively. I don't know what they read 2 weeks ago when I first installed them. I'll pay more attention from now on. Maybe it's your eliquids? Do you use a lot of flavoring? I don't, just barely there.
    I do use a fair amount of flavoring and some sweetener so that might be it. But you can see yours are climbing already.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Mine always climb slowly but surely and they always get too restricted to vape before the taste goes bad. Except for the oh, IDK how many boxes of coils i got during their "Bad" period during my subscription with Direct Vapor. I hope it's not too many coils, it's a bit of an annoyance.

Otherwise, they are completely predictable in how they behave.

The 1.6 are my favorites as well I don't even really like the 0.8 although I can use em in a pinch.

Anna

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I do use a fair amount of flavoring and some sweetener so that might be it. But you can see yours are climbing already.

Yes, but that's after several refills--can't tell you exactly how many.---not the day after. Have you tried a wet burn? I like to refill my tanks with unflavored, raise the wattage a bit, and vape a tankful or so. It helps to dissolve some of the gunk buildup. Not much, but I find it helps to keep coils in good shape longer.

But the fact remains that all coils eventually will accumulate some crud and will weaken--especially when paired with high(er) amounts of flavorings and sweeteners.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Interesting, I really like the 1.6Ω coils--never experienced what you described with those. I haven't used the 1.2Ω ones a lot, though.
    I didn't care for the 1.2 coils. My fave is the 1.6 but I do like the .8 also.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Then this would be weird. I have had a 1.6 coil in a 4ml Zlide for long enough that the coil is starting to get clogged and it's reading 1.58.

Most often, the resistance of a coil will go down with use. I remember we were having those discussions with @Scottbee years ago... Either way, coils do age no matter what we do. They need to be replaced when performance drops.

About Low Resistance and Specific batteries

"As an interesting additional data point. I almost exclusively use Bauway 1.8Ω LR atties that I buy from Madvapes. Invariably, after using them for a few days (heavy use, VG dark liquid) I can sense a change in vaping characteristics (warmer, heavier vape). If I pull the atty and test it I will often find that it is now running 1.5Ω or so. I could go into a lengthy explanation as to why this is happening (most people would expect it to "go open"), but I'll save that for another post."

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread