Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Yup, that's the one I used. Be warned that getting enough material out on the inside can be nerve wracking, worrying you're going to far 'cause you're working semi-blind. It's a small space but is certainly doable, especially if klutzy me can do it. I am also assuming that you have the original VTR with the spinning connector.

Hermit

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
UK
Yup, that's the one I used. Be warned that getting enough material out on the inside can be nerve wracking, worrying you're going to far 'cause you're working semi-blind. It's a small space but is certainly doable, especially if klutzy me can do it. I am also assuming that you have the original VTR with the spinning connector.

Cool. Yep, I have the original spinny one - almost pointless, but it does let me position the aero base's airhole where I don't cover it with my hand! I think I can cope with the nerves now - the main thing is knowing that's it's possible, I can't thank you enough for that :)

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
I was waiting for this thread to see some more action...

Swede, I wish I could like your post 10,000 times. You've done a gorgeous job.

That a tank could sit low, giving a small height profile, was what drew me to the VTR over similar 15w mods. Also, I managed to find a good deal on the classifieds, and it came with quite a few extra goodies (charger, EhPro KFL+, and a trident). I've had mine for a few weeks now, first mod/rba, and loving it.

I've been meaning to deal with the top ring, but being a less-than-manly apartment dweller, I don't have an abundance of tools that I could see getting the job done.

Awsum, I'm glad you're here modding the VTR too! I've been lurking (fogger-less) on the fogger thread for quite some time, and I know how you guys like to customize everything for max performance!

Overall, I missed some recent posts that have inspired me to attempt to shave down my ring; worst case, I'll cut the thing off if I screw up. I've been meaning to do something, and it looks like there's no time like the present!

Thanks, all!

Swede

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2011
Canada
I was waiting for this thread to see some more action...

Swede, I wish I could like your post 10,000 times. You've done a gorgeous job.

That a tank could sit low, giving a small height profile, was what drew me to the VTR over similar 15w mods. Also, I managed to find a good deal on the classifieds, and it came with quite a few extra goodies (charger, EhPro KFL+, and a trident). I've had mine for a few weeks now, first mod/RBA, and loving it.

I've been meaning to deal with the top ring, but being a less-than-manly apartment dweller, I don't have an abundance of tools that I could see getting the job done.

Awsum, I'm glad you're here modding the VTR too! I've been lurking (fogger-less) on the fogger thread for quite some time, and I know how you guys like to customize everything for max performance!

Overall, I missed some recent posts that have inspired me to attempt to shave down my ring; worst case, I'll cut the thing off if I screw up. I've been meaning to do something, and it looks like there's no time like the present!

Thanks, all!

The fact that the VTR had the low profile is what drew me to it...

I love the look of it and it makes a kayfun perform stellar on it. 15w is more than i need to get a great vape. If there was another mod out there that hit all the marks like the VTR I'd take a look.

Fact is, there's no other mod with a nested RBA low profile atty that can hit all the marks like the VTR can.

My wish list, an option that allowed rba with big vape, and no tall profile...

THIS IS WHY I LOVE THE VTR....

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I have been thinking about a DNA20 chip to be honest. I generally hang around 10 watts with the devices that fir on a VTR, so going a lot higher would be too much overkill even for me. It should be doable though. I need to take apart the top of a VTR first to see if it'll all work. I am also looking a enclosures that might work out for a device similar to a VTR with a low mount atomizer, dual 18650s and an SX330 chip.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
Ive heard rumors that an SX350 chip can fit inside a VTR quite well if one were to dremel out the innards a bit. Anyone have any thoughts?

Sure 50-60W is way overkill, but if you can, why the hell not?

Try asking on this thread, The YiHi SX350 35W Chip at Varitube. Quite a few people posting there who have experience building with the SX350 chip.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I'm seriously thinking of getting a VTR. I've wanted one for a long time, mainly because of the gripper style (with the topper on the side instead of on top).

But, during the time I was waiting to be able to afford it, I kept hearing about how heavy and cumbersome it is to carry and about problems with the ring spinning and misc. issues.

I stopped keeping up with it for some time. So, I can't remember all the issues and don't know if the VTRs that are available now have fixed any of them. I'm way out of the loop.

I just can't help it. I still really want that form factor.

Any suggestions or advice on the current state of affairs? Are there still issues I should be aware of? Where would be the best place to buy one?

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
The current version of the VTR with the fixed 510 connector is a solid device. Yes, it's heavy, but I know at least two ladies that love it. The electronics seem to be pretty solid. Keep in mind that you are limited to 19-20mm tanks unless you do some modifications I bought holsters from Innokin for them and rarely use them. The snaps don't stay snapped. I carry mine in a tactical phone pouch and it works fine for me. Now, I'm thinking about building my own version that accepts a larger tank, like a Fogger, runs off a 26650 and using a DNA30 chip for control.

Hermit

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
UK
Hey awsum, I just finished doing the connector swap - took me quite a bit longer than one hour, lol! Thanks for your help :)

I ordered the fat daddy connector, but ended up using the varitube connector for a couple of reasons - it has a longer threaded section, and a slimmer nut, both of which make for less grinding - and as a bonus it's extremely low-profile.

1566_result.jpg

Damn reflecto-finger!

Hermit

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
UK
I guess it depends very much which tank(s) you want to use! I took a lot of pics, but I've no time to get them all organised tonight. This is how the inside ended up - basically I made a hex shaped hole for the nut, and tightened it from outside using the handle of my nail clippers in the air channels :D

Looks such a mess! But that's not important. What is important is to solder the wire straight on the varitube connector, and give it a nice bit of free wire, otherwise it sticks.

1556_inside_done.jpg

mlmkvr

May 3, 2011
Grafton
My vtr was on the fritz yesterday. I was vain away and all of a sudden it wasn't working. The screen was frozen apparently showing the resistance (although higher than expected). and replacing the battery just got it to freeze again. Trying it late in the day it just wouldn't turn on. This morning it is working fine. Beats me. Just glad it's working again

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I'd suggest getting a caliper or micrometer and check to make sure whatever you're using will fit at the base. I was hoping to machine the top ring and get a Fogger on it, but the Fogger is bigger than the top ring. I'm really thinking about building something myself like a VTR but able to accept larger tanks and a 26650 battery.

I agree about the extension tube defeating the purpose/design, it's just that I've become a Fogger junkie. I also use iClear 30and modified ProTanks on it all the time. I do use a long drip tip on the ProTanks as well to give me some face clearance, LOL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread