Kanthal Coil Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjmarkert

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Lake View, NY
Very cool - Thanks for this!

Has anyone figured out the lead length for Protanks? They look like they're about 1/4", but I'm not sure exactly how far they actually go until they touch. I guess I'll try to measure that tomorrow.
1/8 inch works for me on pt2, remember you only count fron the coil to where it first touches the metal.

ProtestThe Hero

Sep 17, 2009
New CoilCalc for Kanthal a1,AF,D and Nichrome 80.70,60 & 40 attached.

Just came across this thread. Thank you very much for this spreadsheet. It's quite handy. I had a few ideas about how it might be improved though. I haven't had a chance to really play around with it enough to really rework it, but I made a few slight changes to it so far that I thought might be of interest to you.

Really there's only two main changes so far that you'll see . One is that you can pick the wire type from a dropdown list and the Ohms per mm2 value will update automatically based on your selection. The other is that I added a spin button for increasing/decreasing the value for the wire gauge. There was some other misc. formatting changes but nothing significant. Anywho, here ya go.

Attachments

• Vaping_Coil_Calculator.xlsx
    37 KB · Views: 105

pjmarkert

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Lake View, NY
I'm spreadsheet illiterate but I can't get the new version to work. After filling in the data boxes, several of the key results boxes retain the value of: #result. I'm using openoffice but it worked fine on the old version. ????
This uses some higher end controls that may not be supported in open office. The older version does have the same functionality.

wilsoncelf

Nov 30, 2011
Brasil
Yeah, the gray areas didn't work as well on my Excel 2010. It just shows a blank area. What I can't understand is when you wrap super nano coils over a awg 28 (0,32mm diameter of form) in 12 wraps, like RipTrippers did, it comes with 0.546 ohms (0.273 in dual coil) while in his video it became as .6ohm in the same dual coil. It's more than the double as the calculated and is happening in all the recreations of the super nano coils I'm doing as I am seeing at the youtube. Why is that?

pjmarkert

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Lake View, NY
Yeah, the gray areas didn't work as well on my Excel 2010. It just shows a blank area. What I can't understand is when you wrap super nano coils over a awg 28 (0,32mm diameter of form) in 12 wraps, like RipTrippers did, it comes with 0.546 ohms (0.273 in dual coil) while in his video it became as .6ohm in the same dual coil. It's more than the double as the calculated and is happening in all the recreations of the super nano coils I'm doing as I am seeing at the youtube. Why is that?
I couldn't find anywhere where he mentioned the ohms of the build in the video. I don't know why that would happen, unless the mod has some resistance too. You also have to take into account the length of the leads. Every coil I have made was spot on with the spreadsheet and most of other posters in this thread. The blank areas are for info that is unneeded for most users. You can unlock the sheet and change the text color in the blank areas to black to see them. I wrote this with excel 2010. Don't forget to get the correct lead length in cell B18.

Last edited:

wilsoncelf

Nov 30, 2011
Brasil
He tells it at 2:01 in the video. Just made a microcoil with 30g kanthal D over a 2mm toothpick, hoping for 1.5ohms and it did an 1.8 one. So, in order to force the calculator to achieve 1.8 ohm in this settings, I put the lead lenght to 0,5in. I think it's way overrated as the leads in the taifun gt are almost insignificant. I'm guessing I was sold different gauge wires, so. No way I'm criticizing your calculator, PJ, it's the best and more complete coil calculator I've ever seen, and I research A LOT. That's the one I use and will keep using, but I'm using the V2, since I like all those numbers in the gray area. It helps me understand the coil data. Hope you release someday a V4 with all the advantages of V3 plus the complete data of V2. :)

Another nice addition would be to put all the "coil forms" up to 36 gauge, instead of only up to 21. Brazilian thanks, dude, we are using your calculator down here too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread