Status
Not open for further replies.

Kami

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Ireland, TX
lorderos - can you vape with the fill screw loose, or does it need to be out all the way to help wicking? I pretty much chain-vape, so I may have to try the screw thing also.

I took mine out......no leaks ....and the draw was great...then it got really poor..........and I fiddled :grr:
LOL.......now I am making a new wick :w00t:

Kami

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Ireland, TX
My tracking now says this ... so it's out of Customs now, eh?

Processed through USPS Sort Facility March 16, 2012, 2:16 pm BETHPAGE, NY 11714
Registered Mail™

Processed Through Sort Facility March 11, 2012, 9:25 pm ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

he went to the golf course Blu..........won't see him till the masters tourney :lol:

BluSwatch

Crazy Mod Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
Washington
Any excuse to play with that torch again! LOL

Great, so I'll see clouds of vapor coming from the 5th green, eh? (that's about beer time, isn't it?)

I took mine out......no leaks ....and the draw was great...then it got really poor..........and I fiddled :grr:

Adam024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2011
Napa, California
Looks good, after a few days the wicking will start to really kick in and you won't have to tip it. A trick to help is to pull the fill screw out a vape it that way.

Sounds good lorderos...thanks. I have the fill-screw out and have since beginning. No leaks....it's all good. Just wanted to make sure this was the norm during break-in period....for it to wick good/better and still have to tip it every 4-5 pulls/vapes. I hope it gets better at wicking soon, so I don't always gotta tip it ovr. I can't believe how good my juice tastes by the way....man.....mmmmmm...

lorderos33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
FL
lorderos - can you vape with the fill screw loose, or does it need to be out all the way to help wicking? I pretty much chain-vape, so I may have to try the screw thing also.

For chain vaping with minimal dry hits you will definitely want to vape with the fill screw removed. :)

lorderos33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
FL
Sounds good lorderos...thanks. I have the fill-screw out and have since beginning. No leaks....it's all good. Just wanted to make sure this was the norm during break-in period....for it to wick good/better and still have to tip it every 4-5 pulls/vapes. I hope it gets better at wicking soon, so I don't always gotta tip it ovr. I can't believe how good my juice tastes by the way....man.....mmmmmm...

It will start to wick better soon. You may even be able to put the fill screw back in. Wicking performance usually increases dramatically once the break-in is complete :)

lorderos33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
FL

When you get to about 1/4 tanks, wicking performance decreases with the screw in. Fill 'er back up and you'll be vaping plumes again :).

lorderos33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
FL
Hi Lorderos, I got a good se up going now. Loads of vapour and good flavour, no hot spots that I can see but the vape is a little harsh. Anything that could be causing that?

Usually this is caused by a very slight short. Fire the coil and look to see if a section of coil lights first. It may actually be nothing too. This is pretty normal during the break in so if it's less than 2 days old then just power through. It will get much better soon :)

Adam024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2011
Napa, California
Another night, another wick, another coil. More hot spots and fail. This time was 35mm x 45mm. All this hassle really isn't worth it, is it?

I believe it's worth it loft. Keep trying... I think we were both in the same boat with the same problems... What worked for me was 15mm x 40mm 325 mesh. I folded the outer edge in about 1/4". This was my 4th mesh and 5th coil. I I'd your same prep method.....and then just move the coil a little to avoid the shorts..and what lorderos said with holding it upside down with cap off and firing until liquid poured out the wick. I found this to help break it in really fast.... The thing is to be patient, the first 2 days I changed out wick and coil each day because it's "not working". After that.. I did my 4th mesh wick and 5th coil....did everything (made better/easier) and then vaped it for a few days. It's really coming through today with 2-3 days on the wick/coil. Don't give up...it gets better.....

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
I believe it's worth it loft. Keep trying... I think we were both in the same boat with the same problems... What worked for me was 15mm x 40mm 325 mesh. I folded the outer edge in about 1/4". This was my 4th mesh and 5th coil. I I'd your same prep method.....and then just move the coil a little to avoid the shorts..and what lorderos said with holding it upside down with cap off and firing until liquid poured out the wick. I found this to help break it in really fast.... The thing is to be patient, the first 2 days I changed out wick and coil each day because it's "not working". After that.. I did my 4th mesh wick and 5th coil....did everything (made better/easier) and then vaped it for a few days. It's really coming through today with 2-3 days on the wick/coil. Don't give up...it gets better.....
325 mesh would probably be overkill for my juice though. Using 70% PG.

lorderos33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
FL
Another night, another wick, another coil. More hot spots and fail. This time was 35mm x 45mm. All this hassle really isn't worth it, is it?

It definitely is. Sometimes it takes a while to get it just right, but once you do you will be able to repeat it time and time again. Vapor and flavor are fantastic and you never have to worry about what might be in your atty again :)

mikescott

Aug 24, 2011
Preston, UK

Hi Loft, it is worth the hassle but I feel your pain, been there. It took me quite a while to get to grips with the Genesis Line rebuildable. The Katana was no exception: breaking coils, popping coils, glowing coils, wick not wicking fast enough etc.

When you've had enough then leave it and do something else until you're ready again. Eventually you WILL get there even though right now it perhaps feels like you won't. I had the same thing with the Line AND the Katana.

One tip that helped (from Lorderos I think) was inverting the Katana to let the juice flow through the wick and then firing up - try doing this quite a few times to help season the wick faster. To help with hotspots at the posts (top or bottom wraps glowing) I undo the screw at the post, gently pull the wrap tighter and tighten the screw again - this can be fiddly and it seems like you need another pair of hands but it worked for me up to now.

Keep persevering when you feel in the right frame of mind and you will get there.

UA72Riddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Griffin, GA
Loft, a 25mm thick wick that is PROPERLY oxidized and seasoned will work perfectly with 70% PG.

And the key word "properly", only comes with time and experience. Until you get the hang of it...an you will...keep using what ever is your daily vape. Treat it as like a new toy or hobby. Play with it, keep trying, and keep mental notes of what works and what doesnt.

Step 1.... After you cut your mesh, roll it up like you are rolling a cig. Don't roll it too tight....just until it will fit in the Wick hole snug...without forcing it.

Step 2....oxidize the whole wick. Start with one half, heat with torch (or gas stove burner) until glowing red...then quench in water a total of 3 times. Do the same to the other half.

Step 3....pre seasoning, helps get the build up on the wick. Put juice on your wick (VG works best...can be bought at walmart), light it with a lighter and let it burn off. Repeat until the liquid starts to quickly soak in to the wick. Repeat this process on the other half of the wick.

Step 4....insert the wick in to the tank. Use a paper clip or need through the wick (should look like a straw) to help keep the wick rigid while wrapping the coil.

Step 5....cut a small length of kanthal for the coil. Make sure you have enough to easily work with...and yes there will be some waste, but it makes it easier than trying to work with a short piece. Using a lighter, heat the kanthal to red working from one end to the other and back. This helps take some of the spring out of the wire....making wrapping coils easier.

Step 6.....starting with the lower post, wrap kanthal around the post one time and secure. Start making your wraps around the coil, making sure it is snug....not tight. keep slight pressure on the wire while wrapping. You should be able to rotate your wick and easily move the coils when finished. Start with 4 full wraps and go from there....that's 4 strands on one side, 5 on the other. Wrap around the upper post one full time clockwise (the screw will help slightly tighten the coil as you lock it down) and secure.

Step 7....add a few drops of liquid to soak the wick and coil.....test fire. If the ends between the posts and wicks glow (hot spot), adjust your coils a little until it stops. Soaking and burning helps add a layer of build up around the coils. When wrapping, the wire CAN scrape the mesh causing loss of the oxidation. You can move the coils or turn the wick...or even move the wick up or down (if wrapped correctly) until you find the spot where the oxidation layer is still in tact and there isn't a short (step 3 helps eliminate these spots).

Once you have it burning juice with no hot spots....fill, and vape yourself in to a comma! :) It does take about a tank or so to completely break in the coil. Just go in to it KNOWING that it will only get better. Once you have a good set up....they can last up to 4 and even 6 months with little cleaning.

Hope this helps....don't give up yet! ;)

Last edited:

chef josh

Verified Member
Mar 21, 2011
Calgary, Alberta

Loft, I feel your pain, I was having the same wicking issue until last night... I made a new wick with 400 at about 14mm or 1/2" and folded in the outer edge. This is working great now, but the katana is different than the other genesis I have (orion, line) the wick hole is smaller, the positive post is closer, this makes wicking the katana a different task, you need to ignore any advice based on other mods and keep at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread