Nicotine/Cotinine test for employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightNurse

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
SE Michigan
I have to take one of these tests as part of a pre-employment physical. I'm assuming that they are going to test my urine for cotinine. If I fail, they will rescind my job offer. I've been searching the internet and these threads for anyone else's (especially vapers) experience with this test, how long they prepared for it, how they prepared for it, and if they passed/failed. I haven't been able to find much.

I don't want to get into a political/ethical debate over the use of these tests by employers (I think it sucks and I'll leave it at that), I'm looking for info.. and maybe some peace of mind. I really want this job, and I'm stressing out about this test.

I've been vaping exclusively for about four years. No analogs. 24mg liquid, all day, every day. I mostly stopped vaping on Thursday.. mostly, because I was really going thru withdrawls and had a few puffs over the course of the day. Then I went most of Friday without vaping, but caved in later that afternoon and had a few puffs. That evening, I went and bought some 0mg juice so I'd have something to vape. So, basically, I've been nic-free since Friday evening and my test is this Friday (2/28) which means I'll have a solid 6 days of no nicotine when I go in for my test. According to the half-life of cotinine, I should be ok.. but still, I stress.

I've been drinking water and green tea, and plan to keep doing so.

I don't want to use fake urine, or someone else's pee (ew) to beat the test.

Is there anyone here that's taken the test and passed (or failed)? I'd like to hear your experience. And I promise to return to update everyone on what happens with my test. There's nothing more frustrating that reading one of these threads for pages and pages, only to have the OP disappear and not let everyone know what happened. I won't do that :)

Thanks!

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
You can be a non-smoker and test + for nicotine if you are using patches. Surely they would not hold that against you?

EDIT: I'm saying if they have an issue with vaping because so many irrational people do, not that I think we should have to hide the fact that we vape. However one of the things that attracted me switch to vaping is that I don't think my nicotine consumption is any an employer's business if not done on company time. IMO the smell of smoking tattles on you and sets you up to be disliked even if you never do it at work.

Last edited:

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
googled this:

Test Name

Cotinine, Urine

Overview

Ordering Info

CPT Code(s)

Methodology

Immunoassay

Reference Range(s)

<0.50 mcg/mL

Clinical Significance

Cotinine derives from nicotine. Once absorbed in the body, nicotine rapidly metabolizes to cotinine and cannot be detected in significant quantity in the urine. The half life of nicotine is short, about two hours. The half-life of cotinine is 10-37 hours which makes it a more reliable marker than nicotine. Cotinine, intrinsically being specific for tobacco, is the preferred marker for use of tobacco. Tobacco is the leading cause of death in the United States.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Jeeeze ... some of the flight nurses (BSNs) I knew back in Viet Nam used to smoke ....... all the time ... How things have changed!

Testing an RN for nicotine is silly to say the least!

This country has really turned itself around to everything needing to be "politically correct"!

Last edited by a moderator:

sc12

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
USA
I'm hopped up on caffeine and nicotine, gimmie all ya'lls newfangled vapor producin contraptions so I kin get all up in ever buddies bihness with my haphazardy care for nursin, custumar servises and waitressifaction, trash collectin, stock brokerating, docturin, salivatin, and chillin on the porch.

Sorry folks I just think it's ridiculous to be tested for nicotine as though vaping (or smoking) is some sort of criminal act and I hope everything works out for the OP.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I'm hopped up on caffeine and nicotine, gimmie all ya'lls newfangled vapor producin contraptions so I kin get all up in ever buddies bihness with my haphazardy care for nursin, custumar servises and waitressifaction, trash collectin, stock brokerating, docturin, salivatin, and chillin on the porch.

As I read that I am picturing Jason Mewes as the one saying that.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
A lot of employers test for nicotine because it costs them more in insurance premiums to insure tobacco and nicotine users. It's simply our lovely capitalist system working at it's most efficient.

So we can all blame the government, representatives, congress and the PC brigade, but the real reason is what it all boils down to - what pretty much everything boils down to - money.

Anyway, sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack as you said this shouldn't escalate, but it's impossible to discuss nicotine tests without having some debate about the legality / reasons behind the tests.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
With the world today, I wonder what else is tested for in these blood tests. I do not remember getting a disclosure of what exact tests are run for these pre-employment screenings and insurance screenings. Is there any law regarding what they can test you for legally. Are laws different in different states?

This is starting to get real murky. OP, I hope you pass that test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread