Status
Not open for further replies.

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Oh ok! I'm pretty new to ecf and sometimes it seems like Optomistic is a polite way of disagreeing.
The rain always comes eventually NolaMel but it's broken my heart to see all the native animals - little and big- thinning out. In some cases disappearing.
Still it's amazing to see the life come surging back when the drought eventually breaks. Ive seen it before and hope to see it again soon but a long hot summer looms and the good people out there are already at breaking point
It’s hard when you’re up against Mother Nature. No rain, then water use restrictions. Water aquifers shrink or dry up. The poor animals have no escape, both food and water scarce. We think of Spring as a time of growth and renewal of the landscape. Hopefully the change of seasons will bring the rains they so desperately need.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
We toured the Midway on a trip to San Diego. What a marvelous old war ship. I couldn't get over all the external wiring running about the ship as well as banks of open to the air single throw double pole switches. Yikes! State of the art back then, but oh so crude compared to today's technology.

images

When the Midway was launched in the mid 40's it was the biggest boat afloat on the planet. There were 3 Midway class carriers all built in the mid-late 40's (Midway, FDR, Coral Sea). They were floating cities at around 970' long and a crew of 4100 men. The biggest carrier when I was in the Navy was the USS Enterprise that came along in the late mid 50's, was over 1100' long and had a crew of 4600 men. The Big E pulled into my base (NAS Alameda) a couple of times while I was there, and I went aboard both times. I have some pretty cool base fly by pics of the docks when some of the carriers were in at that base in 1968-1969.

NAS Alameda was an island Navy base in the East San Francisco Bay just off shore from Oakland, CA. In this pic San Francisco is upper left with the Golden Gate Bridge going across the inlet from the ocean; the San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge that leap frogs over(Yerba Buena Island (Army Post)/Treasure Island (Navy Base) between them; and the NAS Alameda Base. The docks can be seen to the left. To the right of the air cushion boats water basin the bottom hanger in hanger row is the one I worked at... so I was close to the docks.

nasa looking west.jpg

NASA4Carriers.jpg

NASA7-69.jpg

Coral Sea, Midway and Handcock.
NASA1960 CoralSea-Midway-Hancock.jpg

A sea story... No idea when or by whom this tradition was started, but in my hanger (AMD), when an enlisted shipmate was promoted/added new stripes they were tacked on. Then they were captured, taken out to the docks unceremoniously on a plane tug, carried up the gang plank and were tossed off the flight deck of whatever carrier was in port at the time. At the approximately 55'-65' heights of flight decks above the waterline (depending on class, etc) the water was like concrete, so most soon learned to tuck and roll like a ball. In the 27 months I was stationed there I made the plunge three times, once off The Big E. Among some of the other popular sea stories for new shipmates that came to AMD included the one about the Sea Bats that lived in our hanger.

Sadly that WWII base is little more than vacant lots and waste land now, but I have endless fond memories and souvenirs of the times I had when I was stationed there.

Last edited:

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I think people are optimistic that rain will come. Drought is so devastating to both the lands and the people that tend it.
Sure, but sometimes 'optimistic' just means you want to acknowledge a post, but can't think of a thing to say.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I usually vape at hotels but this time I'm sharing a room with the family. Money is kinda tight for me to get my own room this year. I guess I'll be walking my dad's service dog a lot.

Drink lots of water before you go back to the hotel. :) (They don't put detectors in bathrooms; steam from the shower. ;))

Also, is your family that intolerant of your needs? Do they drink coffee? I don't, neither does my husband who is a nonsmoker/vaper. He gets it without complaint. And when I discuss stocking, he's a bloody enabler. No joke. Please don't allow yourself to suffer just because others are intolerant. You can do this and I wish you all the best, just stand up for yourself when you have to. I really hope you have an enjoyable trip despite the obstacles

I've been smashed with an avalanche of Optimistic here! Lol. Maybe I'm too young or just posted the wrong vibe for this thread.
Still it's my story and I'm proud of it. I love my family and even though we've made mistakes we keep going and stick together.

Edit: its a 600 mile/1000km trip from Sydney. Not 100km!

Yep, like @NolaMel said, its being optimistic that your drought will soon be over.

We had one here recently and over 129 million trees died. That figure is over a year old, they're still dying but at a reduced rate. The vegetation/wildlife impact is both devastating and heartbreaking. Hope you get enough rain to put you back on track soon but not enough to make the situation worse.

Last edited:

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
We had one here recently and over 129 million trees died. That figure is over a year old, they're still dying but at a reduced rate. The vegetation/wildlife impact is both devastating and heartbreaking. Hope you get enough rain to put you back on track soon but not enough to make the situation worse.
Was it those pine bark beetles that got the trees? I've seen what they have done in the Sandia (NM) mountains, and it's just depressing.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I've been smashed with an avalanche of Optimistic here! Lol. Maybe I'm too young or just posted the wrong vibe for this thread.
Still it's my story and I'm proud of it. I love my family and even though we've made mistakes we keep going and stick together.

Whew, I thought it was really bad roads, or a lame horse ;)

Heck, ALL families make mistakes, it's the keeping going and sticking together that counts :)

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Texas A&M bans vaping across system

Texas A&M has instituted a system wide vaping ban. I'm going there in a couple of weeks to visit my daughter and see a football game. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I can't vape in the hotel room, I can't vape in my sister's car, I can't vape at the game, now I can't even vape in between the car and the stadium. It's beginning to look like I'm going to have to go the whole weekend without being able to vape when I need to. Help!
That's only on University property. They don't own the entire town, just lots of property there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
They cut the power because they haven't properly maintained the lines and clearances around them. Low humidity and high winds (that never materialized here locally) were the reason for killing it. (My only beef is with overhead, not the workers on the streets.)

One person died 12 minutes after they cut his power and his oxygen machine stopped working. Last year their equipment started a fire in Paradise, CA that killed 85 people when the winds kicked up.

You won't find many people in CA that like PG&E. Remember Erin Brockovich? Julia Roberts played her in the movie of the same name. Those deaths were at PG&E's hands. San Bruno gas line explosions were caused by shoddy PG&E gas lines. The list goes on. Right before they started killing power, PG&E ececs and their biggest customers were having a wine tasting and dinner party in the North Bay area, two years after their equipment caused a deadly fire in the same area that killed many. I-TEAM: PG&E facing intense criticism for holding wine-tasting this week while planning blackouts

:-x

Bingo! ;)

What a fantastic thing to do, thank you, thank you, thank you! :wub:

Made through three days without power and barely dented my charged collection of mods. :) And yes, while I was awake, I chain vaped. :blush:
The man that died had a battery backup for his oxygen but couldn't get to it in time.
Hard to comprehend no one thought to make sure he was prepared with it close to hand & properly charged.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I was 2 in 1967 when my mum drove us on our annual 1000km trip from Sydney to my grandparents' home in the bush 100km NW of Brewarrina in outback NSW. Near the QLD border.
All 4 kids (oldest was a 5 yo in 1967) fit in the back of a blue VW bug. No seatbelts of course but the games of "I spy" and "Animal/Vegetable/Mineral" kept us going.
Mum used to do that drive in one long day even though the last 100km leg is a combination of red and black soil where you've gotta stay sharp or the gidgee trees will jump out and grab the car.

The sheep station is still in the family. I took my 29yo daughter and 13yo son on that same one day road trip just this April. Beautiful old old country. We may not be original inhabitants out there but 5 generations soak up the dirt and stamp the genes.

Times are tough in the Bush right now. Worst drought in living memory but somehow most of the families hang on. Don't know how long if the rain doesn't come soon.
We had our own looooong family trips as kids. Dad would drive from Decatur, GA (suburb east of Atlanta) all the way to Sweetwater, TX every year or so. We seldom missed going home once a year. He'd get on Interstate 20 & we"d go through Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, & halfway across Texas before calling it a night at his parents house or Mom's sisters house. Occasionally we'd stop at his Grandmother's house in East Texas. All freeway fortunately! But even freeways were susceptible to blowing sand & tumbleweeds the further west we went.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
When the Midway was launched in the mid 40's it was the biggest boat afloat on the planet. There were 3 Midway class carriers all built in the mid-late 40's (Midway, FDR, Coral Sea). They were floating cities at around 970' long and a crew of 4100 men. The biggest carrier when I was in the Navy was the USS Enterprise that came along in the late mid 50's, was over 1100' long and had a crew of 4600 men. The Big E pulled into my base (NAS Alameda) a couple of times while I was there, and I went aboard both times. I have some pretty cool base fly by pics of the docks when some of the carriers were in at that base in 1968-1969.

NAS Alameda was an island Navy base in the East San Francisco Bay just off shore from Oakland, CA. In this pic San Francisco is upper left with the Golden Gate Bridge going across the inlet from the ocean; the San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge that leap frogs over(Yerba Buena Island (Army Post)/Treasure Island (Navy Base) between them; and the NAS Alameda Base. The docks can be seen to the left. To the right of the air cushion boats water basin the bottom hanger in hanger row is the one I worked at... so I was close to the docks.

View attachment 844587

View attachment 844589
View attachment 844591

View attachment 844593

A sea story... No idea when or by whom this tradition was started, but in my hanger (AMD), when an enlisted shipmate was promoted/added new stripes they were tacked on. Then they were captured, taken out to the docks unceremoniously on a plane tug, carried up the gang plank and were tossed off the flight deck of whatever carrier was in port at the time. At the approximately 55'-65' heights of flight decks above the waterline (depending on class, etc) the water was like concrete, so most soon learned to tuck and roll like a ball. In the 27 months I was stationed there I made the plunge three times, once off The Big E. Among some of the other popular sea stories for new shipmates that came to AMD included the one about the Sea Bats that lived in our hanger.

Sadly that WWII base is little more than vacant lots and waste land now, but I have endless fond memories and souvenirs of the times I had when I was stationed there.
Your pics & collages are wonderful!

In '67 I was 13, induring a 7 month residence in Baltimore, MD during the race riots that year h having to ride the City Bus to get within a safer walking distance to school. Hated every moment we were there. Loathed that place. My youngest sister was just a few months old when we moved there, & still under a year old when we got out.
The next year I discovered Piedmont Park & a "local" band, The Allman Brothers.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA

I'm usually on Tapatalk so all I can do is "Like" posts or nothing. No emotion related clicks from me. Sorry. I can still do this; tho. [emoji22][emoji22][emoji22] for the drought situation. Living in Texas, even if I'm on the Gulf Coast we still go months without much rain, if any. But not as bad as other areas & not as bad as you are having. We still get burn bans for weeks at a time, even during cooler months.
Speaking of cooler. We are dropping into the mid 60's at night. That needs to stop right where it is.
7e24dc2b4948889f003ca4949db5c73f.jpg

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Was it those pine bark beetles that got the trees? I've seen what they have done in the Sandia (NM) mountains, and it's just depressing.

Yes, bark beetles. Hadn't heard about NM butI think @MikeE3 said the same happened in Colorado. It's not just the loss of the trees but all that goes with it.

For example, we walk every night with our neighbors and look for satellites, meteors, etc. Every night we'd also have bats that would do a flyby or accompany us and squeak as they flew by. We'd whistle back to them. We actually got to know individuals by the way they squeaked and how many times. As the trees thinned out the moths diminished and so did the bats. There are none that "squeak" here now, just ones we can't hear their calls. :cry:

What it looks like here.

920x920.jpg

AR-160819909.jpg

The man that died had a battery backup for his oxygen but couldn't get to it in time.
Hard to comprehend no one thought to make sure he was prepared with it close to hand & properly charged.

Correct, his daughter was on the news trying to warn other people about what happened. From what I saw, I don't know why somebody wasn't there to help him. :blink:

We were told power would be cut at midnight, then it was sometime in the morning, then it was noon, then it would be later... (They finally cut it when I tried to log onto ECF. :lol:)You couldn't access their website because it was overwhelmed. For us it was nothing more than a needless inconvenience (since there was no wind) but for others it was a medical, financial or other type of emergency.

I'm sure the power cuts prevented fires but why hasn't PG&E properly maintain the lines? I have the answer, it's shareholders, I can give you the news links if you want.

Is everyone on here stocked up or what? I hope I am and just adding small things here and there, then wishing I'd gotten another Glovari. :lol: Just trying to keep it on topic. :D

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Yes, bark beetles. Hadn't heard about NM butI think @MikeE3 said the same happened in Colorado. It's not just the loss of the trees but all that goes with it.

For example, we walk every night with our neighbors and look for satellites, meteors, etc. Every night we'd also have bats that would do a flyby or accompany us and squeak as they flew by. We'd whistle back to them. We actually got to know individuals by the way they squeaked and how many times. As the trees thinned out the moths diminished and so did the bats. There are none that "squeak" here now, just ones we can't hear their calls. :cry:

What it looks like here.

920x920.jpg

AR-160819909.jpg

Correct, his daughter was on the news trying to warn other people about what happened. From what I saw, I don't know why somebody wasn't there to help him. :blink:

We were told power would be cut at midnight, then it was sometime in the morning, then it was noon, then it would be later... (They finally cut it when I tried to log onto ECF. :lol:)You couldn't access their website because it was overwhelmed. For us it was nothing more than a needless inconvenience (since there was no wind) but for others it was a medical, financial or other type of emergency.

I'm sure the power cuts prevented fires but why hasn't PG&E properly maintain the lines? I have the answer, it's shareholders, I can give you the news links if you want.

Is everyone on here stocked up or what? I hope I am and just adding small things here and there, then wishing I'd gotten another Glovari. :lol: Just trying to keep it on topic. :D
So sad about the bats.
Like frogs, bats are a barometer of environmental health in an area.
Gods help us all

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA

That's much worse than I saw three years ago, and it surely didn't get any better.

Topic? Oh, yeah. That.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
If it was the one in 1968 - I think I saw Ya' there . . .

Yes, that would be about the right time frame ... I think you were the guy in the bell bottoms ... I remember you.:cool:

View attachment 844587

View attachment 844589
View attachment 844591

View attachment 844593

Great pictures Spydro ... thanks so much for sharing you picture archives with us.

Indeed ... vast acres in Colorado have been destroyed just like in the pictures you posted. So sad.

We're having a 'localized' disaster here in SE Pennsylvania. An invasive species of the Spotted Lantern fly is destroying everything from trees to vineyards. It's have quite an economic impact. The collateral damage is our song birds and other small birds. There has been so much non-selective insecticide being sprayed by commercial businesses as well as home owners that the bird population is dying off.

We have notre seen any chickadees, nut hatches, cardinals, purple martins, etc all summer. This is damage to the bird population is well known to the ecologists and scientists trying to battle the damn Spotted Lantern fly but it doesn't halt the application of the insecticides as we've been told the 1st line of battle is to save the commercial destruction to the economy of the area. The dying off of the birds is being accepted as the price to pay for trying to control the infestation.

50423_original.jpg

Spotted_lanternfly_closed_wing.png

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither

What it looks like here.

920x920.jpg

AR-160819909.jpg

While growing up in the Rockies seeing massive tracts of forest trees under attack was fairly common. Mostly from beetles, fungus/bacterial blights or wildfires, but many years later when I lived there again for a while from Gypsy moths. As bad as they were they paled in comparison to the "let it burn" attitude the Forest Service took during the 1988 June to November fires in Yellowstone Nat'l Park, the Chief Joseph fires, and others in that area of the Rockies. In YNP alone nearly 800,000 acres burned (a little over 1/3 of the park). It destroyed or altered the infrastructure of the park, almost destroyed historic features (like Old Faithful Lodge) and altered some of the geothermal attractions there forever. But as if as a promise by the park to mend itself the following summer there was almost as many acres of fireweed in the burned to the ground places where the skeletons of some trees still stood. I wasn't in YNP during the fire, but my family did pass thru there the next three springs and summers on our way to and from the Absaroka Beathtooth Wilderness NE of the park where we spent weeks in our RV.

I don't have any of the slides I took in YNP then. So this is not in YNP, but it is a representative picture of fireweed in a burned out area that is the first plant to recolonize after a fire.
fireweed.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Yes, that would be about the right time frame ... I think you were the guy in the bell bottoms ... I remember you.:cool:

Great pictures Spydro ... thanks so much for sharing you picture archives with us.

Indeed ... vast acres in Colorado have been destroyed just like in the pictures you posted. So sad.

We're having a 'localized' disaster here in SE Pennsylvania. An invasive species of the Spotted Lantern fly is destroying everything from trees to vineyards. It's have quite an economic impact. The collateral damage is our song birds and other small birds. There has been so much non-selective insecticide being sprayed by commercial businesses as well as home owners that the bird population is dying off.

We have notre seen any chickadees, nut hatches, cardinals, purple martins, etc all summer. This is damage to the bird population is well known to the ecologists and scientists trying to battle the damn Spotted Lantern fly but it doesn't halt the application of the insecticides as we've been told the 1st line of battle is to save the commercial destruction to the economy of the area. The dying off of the birds is being accepted as the price to pay for trying to control the infestation.

View attachment 844905

Spotted_lanternfly_closed_wing.png

Sad to hear. Collateral damage to other species is often much worse than the root problem. I can relate to what you are experiencing there as I was one of those who volunteered to do battle with the Gypsy Moths in part of the Rockies in the late 80's. A biological spray was used to kill them, but it also killed any other Lepidoptera species that was out and about at the time. So a group of us local Lepidopterists' collected and maintained/reared the other species in our homes before the spray was applied. Later we used them to reseed their colonies with after the spray had done its deed.

gypsy female.jpg
gypsy.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread