Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Now I have a completely different issue and I'm sure this is some sort of user error:

I made a coil this morning but I'm sure I did something wrong as strange things started happening. So I got the coil in and made sure everything was super tight so I wouldn't have any problems. Checked the ohms once everything was tightened down and 3.4ohms. Great. Vaped on it a bit and everything was going well until I opened the juice control. Ohms started jumping all over the place every time I used the juice control and then eventually I just got an atomizer short code. Tightened up the juice control and it was working again.

My suspicion is that a wire in the channel was touching the juice control and causing a problem. I'm not really sure but I have no idea what else it could be. I've watched all the videos but I guess I'll have to make sure none of the connections between NR wire and R wire are anywhere near the juice control. Going to go try again.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Ok, After reading that heres my take. in regards to the juice control. When Im vaping and notice it needs juice do the taste change. I do a counter clock wise on my flow control and wait about 3 seconds so it wets then I close it again. I rinse and repeat the process as I need to re wet the wick.

As for the ohms it shouldn't give you errors unless u didnt cut the wire. keep in mind the two sides where the wire goes down are different. One channel is ceramic and other side is fully metal. The ceramic channel side wire should be tied against the center post. Then screw the nut tight and any excess wire cut off and place the wick over it. Then add some Vaseline to the center post oring and put the small center post oring back on centerpost. On the other channel metal side you want the wire against the wall. Now use the nut and start to screw it from top of ceramic chamber to a quarter way down to hold it together. Now excess wire from the metal channel bend it to the top of the nut. make sure the two wicks are cut and flushed to center post. Now you can begin to screw it to the base. once its tight and you see center pin coming out of base your ready to screw down that nut that is holding the wick in place. As you screw it down tightly the excess wire that you bend initially needs to be cut. then you are good to go. Wet the wick with your juice (very little juice) and place it on a ProVari and read the ohms. if all is good then you can finish the build process.

as a side note make sure the flow control is tight before filling it up with juice. only unscrew to wet wick then close the flow control. rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Yea, that's kind of what I thought. I had a really messy connection between NR and R wire and I thought that it might touching the juice control or at least being moved by the juice control.

I'm finding it a little awkward to build these coils but I think with practice it will be fine. I haven't done anything like this in quite a while so my fingers are not used to the tiny little wires.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
As for the ohms it shouldn't give you errors unless u didnt cut the wire. keep in mind the two sides where the wire goes down are different. One channel is ceramic and other side is fully metal. The metal channel side wire should be against wall side and that same wire you circle it on the center post.

Woah...wait. Are you sure? Your post says that the metal side wire goes under the nut on the center post. That's not what I've been doing at all. The wire on the ceramic side is the one that goes under the center post according to Imeo's video.

Am I mis reading this post? According to what I've seen the ceramic side goes under the middle post nut. The metal side gets clipped short and tucked under the wick.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
ops I just edited it I had to many documents open at the same time. my bad. the two channels have wire against wall its just the ceramic side is the one ties up against post. excess wire cut off. As for the one by the metal channel you want to cut after you tight up the bolt to the base.

As show in the haze video fast forward 27 min to see it
The Haze Hour

Last edited:

jslick_007

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
Woah...wait. Are you sure? Your post says that the metal side wire goes under the nut on the center post. That's not what I've been doing at all. The wire on the ceramic side is the one that goes under the center post according to Imeo's video.

Am I mis reading this post? According to what I've seen the ceramic side goes under the middle post nut. The metal side gets clipped short and tucked under the wick.

I do what you do on Pen and New Ody. Old Ody didn't matter which since there was no metal channel and instead got tightened to the top nut.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Thanks for the clarification.

I have a working one now. It's basically what I thought...I haven't played with wiring for a long time and I'm a little clumsy with it.

I made a coil that's just basically testing between 3.8-4.1ohms on multimeter and Provari. When I move the juice control it doesn't change it radically it's always between 3.8-4.1. I assume al little variance is completely normal in the readings. It's working well but I'll have to make a shorter R wire this resistance is a little too high. Again it's all going to take some practice.

I'll try a dual wick coil next when I the second Penny arrives later today. Post office should deliver it today but we will see.

Overall pretty damn excellent product when I get it to work. The vape is fantastic. I realize that it not working properly is my fault and not the fault of the product.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the clarification.

I have a working one now. It's basically what I thought...I haven't played with wiring for a long time and I'm a little clumsy with it.

I made a coil that's just basically testing between 3.8-4.1ohms on multimeter and Provari. When I move the juice control it doesn't change it radically it's always between 3.8-4.1. I assume al little variance is completely normal in the readings. It's working well but I'll have to make a shorter R wire this resistance is a little too high. Again it's all going to take some practice.

I'll try a dual wick coil next when I the second Penny arrives later today. Post office should deliver it today but we will see.

Overall pretty damn excellent product when I get it to work. The vape is fantastic. I realize that it not working properly is my fault and not the fault of the product.

try a triple wick for an added vape pleasure. Once I smoke the tank on empty ill take a shot to show you.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
For some reason I am at 1.6 ohms but my smoke isn't that much...at least not as much as a regular 510 punched carto tank

pump that to 4.0v and make sure the flow control is tight and wait till it changes flavor then open flow control for 3 seconds and close it again. Wick may be a little flooded.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
try a triple wick for an added vape pleasure. Once I smoke the tank on empty ill take a shot to show you.

Essentially I just need to get better at building coils in general. So far the main problem has been caused by messy connections on my part not tucking in correctly and contacting the juice control. I have that problem ironed out now.

So the next thing is to actually build consistant coils at around 3ohms. 3.8-4.1 is too much. I got about 8 coils around the wire packed really tight. It's too much. I'll have to use shorter R wire next time. My measurement was just way off I guess.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Essentially I just need to get better at building coils in general. So far the main problem has been caused by messy connections on my part not tucking in correctly and contacting the juice control. I have that problem ironed out now.

So the next thing is to actually build consistant coils at around 3ohms. 3.8-4.1 is too much. I got about 8 coils around the wire packed really tight. It's too much. I'll have to use shorter R wire next time. My measurement was just way off I guess.

if it gets to hard that you want to yank your hair out you can always buy them pre made. I would recomend you do it yourself though.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Oh yea, I'm keeping at it...it's part of the fun.

I'm mainly posting the information here as my personal experience being a newbie in case anyone else finds it useful. So far this thread has a lot of really good information contributed by the guys that know what they are doing. Love how people have stepped up to answer my questions. Made this whole process a lot easier.

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
Ok so I think I found my sweet spot for the time being.

1.9 inches of 34 AWG resistance wire over a dual wick design making 3.1 ohms.

Much juicier hits with the dual wick. Haven't tried a triple wick as Bishopheals is using but I'll attempt it at some point.

1.9 in ? How many wraps on your coil? They must be pretty close together.
I've been using a 3 wick in my Ody but I don't see how there'd be enough room in the Pen. Finally got my Pen working and am only using one wick and am very satisfied. Of course that won't stop me from experimenting :). Still waiting on my R wire for that though.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I would say 7-8 wraps around two wicks.

I've made some more wires and they are now 1.7 inches and measuring out at 2.8ohms. Pre-made for fast switching later since I had all my stuff out including the multimeter.

I know people on youtube are just using their fingers but I grabbed some small needle nose pliers and a tiny wire cutter from the garage that now live in my e-cig supplies box. Those two items have essentially made it a breeze. Especially when doubling the wire back after the initial twist I find I can get a nice solid bend with the pliers and then trim any left overs very precisely for a neat connection. The clippers are a god send as well for precision wick trimming.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Well after enough experimentation to almost blow through my first baggie of wicks(luckily I got a second one with Penelope #2) I've found the right combination for me. Triple wick on a 2.2ohm coil.

I found that side by side with the same juice and the same setup(Two Provari's, Two Penelope's, triple wick) I had a big preference toward a 2.2ohm coil over a 3ohm coil. Putting 4.2 volts through the 2.2ohm coil for 8 watts was better then putting 4.9 volts through a 3ohm coil for the same 8 watts.

I can't explain why the performance, for me personally, was better in the 2.2ohm coils but I tried various blind tests and I picked the 2.2 each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread