Status
Not open for further replies.

Itshak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Israel
My Queen B1tich (the V2) slapped me in the face again... Yet another failure with a wicks down the channels build. :blink:

2mm wick in the channels, cut at the base of the ceramic with a small 2mm piece double on top. 1.5 Ohm ready wire from Guru. Again I'm having a dry, scorchy taste at anything above 8W no matter if I have the juice control 1, 2, 3 or 6 turns open. The wicks simply seem to run too dry... Amazing! :unsure:

Just now I switched back to my proven setup with only two small pieces of 3mm wick doubled on top with the channels empty. 1.7 Ohm NR-R-NR wire with 0.20 Kanthal made myself. Perfect again, right from the 3rd draw. Excellent taste from 8 up to 15W if needed. I am really gobsmacked how everybody seems to be able to get the V2 working right with the wicks down the channels but I can't...

One other variable I just thought of could be the ready wire from Guru. I don't know if they use NiChrome or Kanthal. I never use NiChrome so maybe this gives a funky taste that I perceive as dry?

What do you guys think?... :?:

never had any taste issue from any SMG ready wire,
but had same dry hits with silica on V2.

there may be some relation between wicking and airflow fog.

since I transfer to cotton I never had any wick issue on any atomizer.

but if you want to keep use silica on this atty,you can try playing with the airflow.

less airflow better sucking force inside channels,but it will work better when you
limit on airflow from the CT side.

now I use all my V2 with solid GG MP and cotton,nothing better then solid GG MP IMO.
they work great all the time,with all juices.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
My Queen B1tich (the V2) slapped me in the face again... Yet another failure with a wicks down the channels build. :blink:

2mm wick in the channels, cut at the base of the ceramic with a small 2mm piece double on top. 1.5 Ohm ready wire from Guru. Again I'm having a dry, scorchy taste at anything above 8W no matter if I have the juice control 1, 2, 3 or 6 turns open. The wicks simply seem to run too dry... Amazing! :unsure:

Just now I switched back to my proven setup with only two small pieces of 3mm wick doubled on top with the channels empty. 1.7 Ohm NR-R-NR wire with 0.20 Kanthal made myself. Perfect again, right from the 3rd draw. Excellent taste from 8 up to 15W if needed. I am really gobsmacked how everybody seems to be able to get the V2 working right with the wicks down the channels but I can't...

One other variable I just thought of could be the ready wire from Guru. I don't know if they use NiChrome or Kanthal. I never use NiChrome so maybe this gives a funky taste that I perceive as dry?

I only run one side wick down the metal channel. The ceramic channel is left open and empty. This build can be done with silica or cotton.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto

Why are you obsessing with wicks in the channels. You can do whatever you want to have a good vape. You have to try for yourself, there is no standard written in stone. in the old days we used low power and 4-5 regular wraps. These days we use high power and microcoils or ribbon which get really hot. You can't expect a wicking method to work the same for all types of coils. The nice thing about GG is that it can handle all coil types!

Last edited:

Electraglide1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
Dallas, Texas USA
I have V2 long with adjustable mp and V2 short with fixed mp. I had problems at first with silica in channels but no more. It wasn't the wick. I had hot spots in wire. I now make 1 extra turn on both ends so the connection n-r-n is touching the wick completely. I use 2mm and ESG wires. Never an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FogNL

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2013
Amsterdam
never had any taste issue from any SMG ready wire,
but had same dry hits with silica on V2.

there may be some relation between wicking and airflow fog.

since I transfer to cotton I never had any wick issue on any atomizer.

but if you want to keep use silica on this atty,you can try playing with the airflow.

less airflow better sucking force inside channels,but it will work better when you
limit on airflow from the CT side.

now I use all my V2 with solid GG MP and cotton,nothing better then solid GG MP IMO.
they work great all the time,with all juices.

Thank you Its.
Yes, I want to keep using silica in the V2. I feel with certain liquids silica tastes better. Plus that I think the V2 is better suited as a silica atty. I do use cotton exclusively in the Penny V3 and in my Kayfuns.

I've been playing around with the airflow so much that the threads are wearing out... :) (not really of course)

What does 'the CT side' mean? And what is 'solid GG MP' ? Sorry if this are dumb questions... :blush:

I might need to try a single wick with a Kanthal wire to exclude that variable too. But I'm getting a bit frustrated of rebuilding the V2 all the time.

FogNL

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2013
Amsterdam
Why are you obsessing with wicks in the channels. You can do whatever you want to have a good vape. You have to try for yourself, there is no standard written in stone. in the old days we used low power and 4-5 regular wraps. These days we use high power and microcoils or ribbon which get really hot. You can't expect a wicking method to work the same for all types of coils. The nice thing about GG is that it can handle all coil types!

I'm not obsessed Aal. Really, I'm not. It's just that I'm amazed that everybody seems to get it to work fine with wick in the channels while I can't so far. That's frustrating... :)

I have a nice collection of RBAs and I can build all of them upside down, back & forth and blindfolded in any setup I like. Cotton, silica, bamboo, micro coils, ribbon, everything... Except the V2 and it's driving me nuts!! :laugh: (honest, wouldn't you?...)

Itshak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Israel
Thank you Its.
Yes, I want to keep using silica in the V2. I feel with certain liquids silica tastes better. Plus that I think the V2 is better suited as a silica atty. I do use cotton exclusively in the Penny V3 and in my Kayfuns.

I've been playing around with the airflow so much that the threads are wearing out... :) (not really of course)

What does 'the CT side' mean? And what is 'solid GG MP' ? Sorry if this are dumb questions... :blush:

I might need to try a single wick with a Kanthal wire to exclude that variable too. But I'm getting a bit frustrated of rebuilding the V2 all the time.

Solid MP it's the regular GG mouth pice or juice control.
I just like them better.

What I refer control airflow from the CT side is by using the JGG air control as limiter,
Instead of the V2.

Becous if you reduce air flow from above U reduce suction force as well.

I was rock stone naild on silica,but today if I have to use it it will be only if I'm out of cotton.
I know what you mean on the taste but the cotton give better overall performence that overcome
This,and it's very very easy to make great built with cotton in no time on the V2 so why fight??

Anyway part of the fun is the challenge of trying,so all is good.

Why don't you try somthing new as Electra make and see maybe this will be your saver built??

FogNL

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2013
Amsterdam
Solid MP it's the regular GG mouth pice or juice control.
I just like them better.

What I refer control airflow from the CT side is by using the JGG air control as limiter,
Instead of the V2.

Becous if you reduce air flow from above U reduce suction force as well.

I was rock stone naild on silica,but today if I have to use it it will be only if I'm out of cotton.
I know what you mean on the taste but the cotton give better overall performence that overcome
This,and it's very very easy to make great built with cotton in no time on the V2 so why fight??

Anyway part of the fun is the challenge of trying,so all is good.

Why don't you try somthing new as Electra make and see maybe this will be your saver built??

Ah... Solid Mouthpiece. Of course, that's stupid of me. :blush:

I agree that regulating the airflow at the mods' side is better. Or at least before the wicking system, not after.

I also agree on the ease of use with cotton. It almost guarantees perfect wicking, regardless power (up to a point of course). But for me there is always that little taste thing with cotton that gives kind of a 'commonality' between different liquids. The flavor is excellent but there's always the same hint of flavor coming from the cotton that makes differences in flavor from liquids less pronounced. Less clear. This is difficult to describe.

I think a silica build with perfect wicking delivers a more neutral and better articulated flavor.

That said, 80% of my builds are cotton/MC builds too... :blush:

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
I'm not obsessed Aal. Really, I'm not. It's just that I'm amazed that everybody seems to get it to work fine with wick in the channels while I can't so far. That's frustrating... :)

I have a nice collection of RBAs and I can build all of them upside down, back & forth and blindfolded in any setup I like. Cotton, silica, bamboo, micro coils, ribbon, everything... Except the V2 and it's driving me nuts!! :laugh: (honest, wouldn't you?...)

To make you feel better I cannot make it work well with silica in channels either lol.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Itshak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Israel
Ok fog just enter from office and made a built on V2 with silica.
Boy,I haven't vape silica some half year maybe... Anyway here we go:

Products NB JGG
Two 2mm silica wick
1 1.5 ohm ready made Imeo ribbon wire

image.jpg
[/url]

I made the coil: close and with one more wrap of the NR from both sides as I do always
This will help avoid two things: touching of R in ceramic and make sure R stay tight all the way on the silica!

image.jpg
[/url]

Now I put it in the atty connect then prob R with thiny screw driver to the middle.
This picture is before I prob it like so.
Each wick goes deep all the way in the channels!!
But I cut this time each wick on the end of atty chamber!! Again- the wick from left side
channel cut at the end of the atty right side and not go into the other channel!
Same from the oposit side,so I ended with both channel full with one wick but not the same wick!!

There for in the resistence part I have to wicks.

image.jpg
[/url]

Now I change to CT and telescope to control air and to have better drive.

image.jpg
[/url]

Now I need to catch my breath as I'm full of NIC trying to make it hit dry! I can't !!

It vape fine with no single dry hit!! And I close juice control to one and a half turn open only!

Tell you what... We all vape differently maybe for your kind of likeness it's better for you to
Equip your self with the solid MP..but before that try this built and report back if it worked for you ;)

Lol I need to close juice control more it's fluiding the chamber.

Cheer up it's all fun :)

I have some idea why it's now vape like so and why on the V2 but I'll keep working it for more
Time and think on it some more :)

Itshak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Israel
Ok after vaping one full tank of GLV Newminster with no dry hits I'm back to my usual:

1.5 ohm ready made ribbon wire with cotton for wick!
With the new solid MP's ... It's just the best,I may say a must try!

It got the best airflow of all,there for one can push longer hits and the taste remain consistent As she run cooler.

Tons of vapor out of this one,time after time.

image.jpg
[/url]

Itshak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Israel
Hi Its, I am going to try your 'split u-wick' setup this weekend.

Just out of curiosity, how do you coil a NR-R-NR ribbon wire around a cotton wick?

Tnx again. Richard

Like so:

2mm bit for 32 kantal ready made
2.5mm bit for ribbon ready made

1)Make the wrap with one more NR loop from each side.

image.jpg
[/url]

2)take the wrap coil off bit

image.jpg
[/url]

3)put cotton better less then in the picture. ( this picture is old one )

image.jpg
[/url]

4)connect to atty as regular wick

image.jpg
[/url]

5) cut cotton on top off channels no need to go all way down
And prob with little screw the R coils gentle away half mm from ceramic.

image.jpg
[/url]

6) put juice on coil and wait.
Don't over fluid,then wet again

image.jpg
[/url]

7) check that's it's work and you get vapor

image.jpg
[/url]

8) vape it with MP only like so just before you fill the tank

image.jpg
[/url]

After filling the tank open one and half turn,for some juice half turn less for some half turn more.
No more then that.
And let it replenish the liquid in the cotton from you trials.

This are old pictures but I do the same always.
Enjoy the vape.

P.S.

Here is one with 32 SMG ready made

image.jpg
[/url]

And here is one more new picture but on Ody that give better idea
How the ribbon coils should be setup.
Of corse on the Penney V2 the wraps should be closer.

image.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread