Status
Not open for further replies.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
Junkman, Im not saying 37hz isnt fine. Your mechanical mod is 0hz lol. I think more the lack of quality in vape with the Vamo is from the 6v difference in each pulse.. from wide open to completely off. The ProV at 37hz still wouldnt rattlesnake because it only drops 0.05volts from the peak. That makes the difference.

I understand. I appreciate your approach to the discussion as well.

However, the volts really aren't important except to the extent that they maintain a consistent coil temp. Whether it goes from 6 to off doesn't really impact that IF the coil's thermal inertia is longer than 74/1000 second. Volts are not what makes vapor. Heat makes vapor. What we are talking about is different methods of achieving a stable heat level of the coil.

My assessment is that for my set up, the coil is maintaining a stable temperature. I don't think that say, doubling the frequency would improve it's ability to do so.

Now, I have granted that maybe other samples of the vamo or other devices used with the vamo may suffer from this problem. I haven't tried them so i don't know. My initial thought was that 37hz was enough in general, but I have backed off that due to lack of experience with the other devices.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
It provides "stable coil temp."

YOUR-ARGUMENT-IS-INVALID-meme-collection-1mut.com-81.jpg

I'm starting to see a trend.:p

Yeah, it gets old trying to make people understand that the only function of the device is TO PROVIDE A STABLE (AND ACCURATE) COIL TEMPERATURE.

What other possible issue is there that this thread could be about?

Buzzsaw46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
SE MN United States
I don't care about the science, all I know is I keep giving my Vamo a chance, and just don't care for it. There is not one thing I can point to that is the biggest issue, more a bunch of little things. It's slippery, I don't like the fire button, it's too long, and I don't feel it provides the same vape as I get from my ProV's.

I don't hate the Vamo, I just don't like it.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I don't care about the science, all I know is I keep giving my Vamo a chance, and just don't care for it. There is not one thing I can point to that is the biggest issue, more a bunch of little things. It's slippery, I don't like the fire button, it's too long, and I don't feel it provides the same vape as I get from my ProV's.

I don't hate the Vamo, I just don't like it.
You can put a skin on it and solve at least one of those problems. 1 out of 4 ain't bad. :)

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Yeah, it gets old trying to make people understand that the only function of the device is TO PROVIDE A STABLE (AND ACCURATE) COIL TEMPERATURE.

What other possible issue is there that this thread could be about?
How about we just agree to disagree on that issue and drop it. I can taste the difference, you can't hear the difference, and any further discussion on this line of reasoning will probably end with one of us permanently ignoring the other.
PeaceOut-8601.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You know your stuff :D I believe its a late 50s model lol. Both my scopes are old Tektronix. I cant see needing a new digital when these simply work. I learned on them too. Keep them callibrated and they are like tanks.

I remember my days of setting up flying heads on the old Century and Control Data drives. What were they ... 80MB platters? There was a long process to change heads, set them up, and you were always changing the 100 micron filter. I always used to hate the squeal of the STC tape drives. We used Teflon tape to quiet those down. Head change time meant a long setup routine.

GrimmTech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
West Virginia
Just wondering what would be said if the vamo ran at 800 and ProVari 37? Hmmmm, just a thought. Would 37 be enough for a ProVari? Questions to ponder.

I think the rattlesnake would be gone. 37hz is more than enough to provide stability if the drop wasnt 6v difference. Direct DC is 0hz. It doesnt drop. The rate is not the issue, the difference in on and off is. At least thats my take on it.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I have an EA, and am in a co-op for a "Chi-Chi". I can't wait to see if there's a significant difference in the vape between a ~$130 mechanical & a <$30 one.

I'd be interested to hear what you think on that. I can't imagine a significant difference. Those EAs are nice looking mods though.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I am baffled by how folks can't hear the rattlesnake sound of the Vamo...

It's nothing like an audiophile claiming to hear the difference from one speaker wire to another, or folks claiming the fidelity of a record is better than a CD...

It's just in your face obvious, to me...

I can hear it sometimes with a cartomizer. With a vivi nova I usually don't hear it, but occasionally have heard it very low. I don't hear it at all with a Pheonix type RBA or the AGA-T+. The sound on those is smooth. I've never experienced any sudden high first hit or anything like that with the Vamo. Its always been constant with what I set.

Last edited:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Jim Carey aint got nuthin on you guys trying to prove the vamo is just as good as a provari !!

I don't think anyone in this thread has claimed that a Vamo is as good as a ProVari. The only argument has been that the the way the Vamo heats up is not detrimental to it's vape when compared to the ProVari. Everyone in here admits that the ProVari has the edge in build quality.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
im surprised you didn't come back and edit that comment out ,really i am !! that was just pathetic

I'm saving this reply for posterity, just in case you wake up in the morning with less of a chip on your shoulder and decide to edit your post. :) Vape some Pluid and chill out. It seems like your goal tonight is to get both this thread and the "haters" thread locked by mods before morning.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
I remember my days of setting up flying heads on the old Century and Control Data drives. What were they ... 80MB platters? There was a long process to change heads, set them up, and you were always changing the 100 micron filter. I always used to hate the squeal of the STC tape drives. We used Teflon tape to quiet those down. Head change time meant a long setup routine.

The ones I was working on were 54MB platters... and HUGE...

So funny, I also used teflon tape... The thing was so old, I had one of my tension bobbins break and nobody on earth carried them anymore... So I took the broken one to a machine shop and had to get a new one made from stainless steel... Then I got another shop to coat the guide surface with hardened rubber... It was the best idea ever, never needed the teflon tape after that...

And believe me, I would spend about 4 hours with a scope and an alignment tape aligning the read/write heads every time we changed one out... And it seemed very time I was going through that process one of my photocell lights would blow out and I'd completely lose one end of my vaccuum chamber and the damn tape would snap... I'd have to splice it back together, solder in a new light, and start all over...

Hated those stupid things

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread