The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Discussion in 'Wick and Wire' started by JeremyR, Oct 14, 2015.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Pecorapazza

Pecorapazza New Member

Mar 7, 2018
    CH
    Thank you for your welcome. :)

• Like Like x 4
  2. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Your English is clearly a lot better than my French! :)

If you've been using the Prime with, say, cotton, rayon will be the same, but tighter.

I don't use the Prime, so can't be more specific.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Pecorapazza

Pecorapazza New Member

Mar 7, 2018
    CH
    Thanks David

Unlike cotton, I tapered the legs of my rayon wick to properly feed the coil.
    I read a piece of advice from the creator of this topic that said you should not hesitate to reduce the legs of the wick as soon as the wick is at an angle.
    If I had this build in cotton version, I have no doubt about the dry hits and floods created by this build.
    But whit rayon it work! :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I've only built a prime clone (once) I don't particularly care for them, but that's me. I would build it similarly to cotton, but maybe thin the tails quite a bit more than with cotton, once they're angled. Sorry, I didn't take a pic of my build and have dismantled it. But, I think you should have success just keeping in mind the general principles, fairly snug in the coil, but a bit more thinning/trimming of the tails... For me, rayon wicks best if it is not too thick. Best of luck, welcome to the rayon thread! :)

Anna

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Heartsdelight

Heartsdelight Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 10, 2015
    ABFF8C6E-0C31-480F-9B1A-C790BE313F37.jpeg Welcome @Pecorapazza ! Here’s a pic of my Kayfun v5 Clone coil & wick. As everyone has mentioned above just make sure the wick is fairly snug in the coil (page 1 of this thread @JeremyR has posted that when wicked sufficiently & the wick is wet with juice, the wick should not have a gap at the end of the coil.) Hope this helps. :)

• Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    :thumb:

You may or may not need the taper. But if it works, don't fix it! :lol:

I mostly use the KF2 series, in various configurations, but all the same deck. I find that if I get the wick density perfect, I don't need it. But if the wick is a tiny bit too loose or tight, without the taper it seems to wick too well, and I get a snap on the first draw each time I pick it up. So, I generally do taper them.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. William De Sousa

William De Sousa New Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Hey guys. Fantastic thread - many thanks to the creator and contributors for the wealth of information in the pursuit of ultimate flavour!

Hate to ask for advice with my first post, buy hey I need some advice :)

I'm struggling to make rayon work with the Siren 2. Using SS or Kanthal Clapton 26/30, 5-6 wraps on 3" diameter with Sanek Cellucotton (struggling to source better rayon in the UK). After wicking the taste and vapour are amazing for about 36 - 48 hours then the taste degrades and the leaks start. First slight weeping from the air holes building up to large amounts leaking through the base. Not huge amounts but enough to be annoying on a tank that is famed for its lack of leaks!

Wick is always very snug through the coil and I've tried all combinations of very thin tails, thinnish tails, thick tails, thin tails that are thick through juice channels and blah blah. Regardless of what I try 36-48 hours then blam. I've posted up some pictures of my latest attempt.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated..

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  8. ricks

ricks Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    For the leaking, Try stretching your coil to make it longer. You want keep the wick off the air hole block.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  9. madstabber

madstabber Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I don’t have that tank but I’ll give advice anyhow. Try screwing together all the connections extra tight, possibly one or more of the joints has worked itself loose. That and if it’s leaking try more wick. If a tank leaks, there isnt enough wick. It’s the inner workings, learning the ins and outs of the tank that, once you’ve mastered, let’s you vape to the tank’s greatest ability. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. William De Sousa

Mar 8, 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions - will try and report back..

• Like Like x 4
  11. f1vefour

f1vefour Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2013
    Pensacola
    Not enough wick, by looking at your images I can tell your wicking is too thin. Rayon shrinks, after the trapped air escapes your wick is just too thin.

Add about 10/15 percent more than in those pictures, make it tight.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. jj_9

jj_9 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 3, 2013
    FR
    Salut Peco !

juste pour résumer, le principe c'est que tu dois mettre plus de rayonne dans la resistance que tu n'aurais mis de coton. Par contre les "pattes" qui vont aller tremper dans le liquide devront ete plus fines qu'avec du coton.
    Pour doser ton coton dans la rez, grosso modo tu mets le max qui coulisse en enfilant la rayonne "torsadée" mais pas trop dedans (genre tu visses la rayonne dans la rez).

A+
    JJ

PS : Soory for frnech on international forum
    Below bingTranslate to help :)

Just to summarize, the principle is that you have to put more rayon in the resistance than you would have put cotton. On the other hand the "legs " which are going to soak in the liquid will have been finer than with cotton.
    To dose your cotton in the ground, roughly you put the max which slides by threading the rayon "twisted" but not too much in (like you screw the rayon in the coil).

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Also, your tails can be that long, but they don't have to be. With rayon, I tend to keep things really tight in the coil, but thin the rest and trim it considerably. My wicks don't touch the bottom of the tank, they go about 2--3 mm below the deck, and they're pretty thin by that point. I actually think it wicks better that way, as the more "wick" you have hanging out can make things wick more slowly, as there is more wick to get saturated. That sort of situation can cause slow wicking, so I try to avoid it (also the more wick hanging about, the less room I have in my tank for juice.

So perhaps tighter in the coil and the rest a bit shorter/thinner. That is what has worked best for me. Juice sloshes around, so it's not like the wicks won't stay saturated even if you are "vaping below" them. Etc.

Best of luck!

Anna

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sloth Tonight

Sloth Tonight Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 25, 2014
    Adirondacks
    "To dose your cotton in the ground" :thumb:

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. oplholik

oplholik ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Yeah, gives that "earthy" flavor, try it, you might like it. :)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. William De Sousa

Mar 8, 2018
    Much appreciated guys and gals :) Re-wicking with your suggestions - will report back.. in 36 hours or so...

• Like Like x 7
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. jj_9

jj_9 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 3, 2013
    FR
    Yes auto translation is not always at the top
    And what is fun is that *ground* is the translation found for the "resistance" word ...
    (brain 1 ; AI 0)

JJ

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Pecorapazza

Pecorapazza New Member

Mar 7, 2018
    CH
    Hello,

Thank you all for your help! I continue to experiment with my cellucotton but overall I remain a little disappointed.
    On my KF prime the result is not regular, sometimes the flavors are perfect and soon after they degrade.
    Always on KF sometimes the wick is well fed other times I have dry hits ...

As the KF prime is quite capricious with the wicking, I decided to mount my Fev in cellucotton.
    My Fev are waterproof with cotton and I had a flood with cellucotton. I continue to work following your advice but I start to despair a bit.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  19. bratz

bratz Full Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Looks like I'm back to cotton. For some reason I'm getting better flavour with Muji pad. Ease of built also goes to muji as I can eyeball the width needed for my built. Can't get consistency in tearing apart Sally rayon. At times it's too tight till needed twisting before going into the coil and some time it's slightly loose. Either way it's not the flavour I can get from Muji. Keep subscribing to this thread in the hope that I would try rayon again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  20. cigatron

cigatron Vaping Master ECF Veteran

May 14, 2014
    clinton ar
    Are you feeling a vibration while pulling the wicking through the coil? It needs to be at least that tight in the coil to peak the flavor and not dry hit.
    "If it ain't squeeking, it ain't peaking"

The occasional leaking issue with RTAs when using Rayon was always a problem for me. I never got to the the point where the wick tails were perfect each and every time. One day I magically solved the problem; I stopped using RTAs. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3