Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
There's a place called Crazy Wire Company in the UK. I bought silica from them eons ago and was very happy with the product. I ordered the 29 in both kanthal and SS and 8 of various thin gauges to wrap with...ended up with free shipping also. They have quite a stock of vape wire in many sizes right down to 46 for clapton wraps, its very hard to wrap with 38, 40gauge and higher...frustrated me enough to stick with 34 and sometimes 36 wrap. They have 29 gauge. Well for my wants....a 1.4ohm clapton that fit into a STM rba without manipulating the build to fit. 28/34 was a massive 3.5ID that took up the entire space so airflow was hindered, 30/34 almost too small a ID for good flow to feed a thirsty clapton but its ok along with after a couple rewicking the 30 begins to loose its umph, begins to distort easily trying to twist the rayon through. The 29k/34ss, 2.5ID 5 wrap 1.4Ω spaced rayon clapton is the perfect build for our needs...nothing better than happy wife having top notch vape, DIY juice and hardware that has never given her grief.
I still have my subohm nasty builds but the 29k/34ss is a great ADV build thats easy on batteries, works good in single battery hitters and makes nice cloudz.
I've used all sorts of wire from different companies and they all do the job. Living in Canada is also a crutch in ordering from the States with the shipping cost, 35% exchange on the dollar so shopping UK and free shipping...bout the same timeline in the mail too so why not.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Not a CW fan for TC but twisted 27g CW isn't useless
All that CW is good for.jpg

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I was gonna say that CW seems more of a mystery metal or chineseium alloy. Just my opinion and experiences. It does work well as baling wire though and I'm using it, doubled up, for strain relief on an overhead CAT6 run out to the sheds.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Hey TD, how clean is that wire from zivipf? I bought some, can't remember if it was Ti or SS316L, from them a few years ago and had to scrub it with an abrasive pad and IPA to get the crud off. The wire, worked fine, just a big PITA to get clean enough to use.
I just put a Ti build in the Castle, pulled out my spools of Ziv and ran a strand of each through some paper towel. There was a very light line or none at all left from the TI, NiFe, SS316 & SS430.

Nothing at all like the Ti from Unkamen, that was some of the dirtiest wire I have ever seen.

7 wraps of 24ga Ti on 3.5mm, Replay is amazing. :D

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Not a CW fan for TC but twisted 27g CW isn't useless
View attachment 744313

Lol!

I didnt even bother trying to repurpose it, straight to the bin, worst tc wire ive ever tried

Mind you every other SS430 wire vendor i tried was just like CW, they couldnt give you a TCR value for their own wires, they would either guess or say google it, and maybe you can tell us....including the rather more famous zivipf..

Hello, youre manufacturing or sourcing the wire, you tell me...i went back to and am staying on SS316

OT: Im a huge fan of Grahams Cellucotton Rayon - recently got a box finally after Amazon had a special by where i could get a box into australia for less than $99 + shipping, no really, thats what its back to...because its not available in amazon.com.au...

Australians, we love being geo-gouged by our American friends...

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Mind you every other SS430 wire vendor i tried was just like CW, they couldnt give you a TCR value for their own wires, they would either guess or say google it, and maybe you can tell us....including the rather more famous zivipf..

Wow! Maybe its just the engineer side of me. But taking a wire with an unknown TCR isn't really that much of a challenge. Within 5 minutes I could probably tell you what the correct TCR value is or even what it should be if they got it wrong. :)

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
zivipf 24g & 26g = exactly .00138 every time I tested them
2 different rolls of 24g
zivipf = real deal

Yup thats what i tried, on all the tc mods i had (the rock solid TB and ePetite - same on both, ruled out a mod issue) and it was so anaemic it wasnt funny, i had to go way off the reservation to get anywhere near the vape i normally get and even then it was variable. All i can tell you is that Thomas did not suggest a TCR to me when i asked him and when i spoke to him again, he merely accepted that it wasnt happening as it should and refunded the money (i posted the wire back to him, at my cost). I was hugely surprised and dissapointed considering what id heard about zivipf. I seem to remember Laurie9300 got some at around the same time - he got his maybe a week before i did, and if memory serves he found it off as well....because we were both trying 430 for the first time, for me it was the second time, because id stupidly gotten CW SS430 a few weeks prior to that, and immediately binned it. The zivipf was just as off base as the CW....at least Thomas replied, CW never answered an email

Maybe i got a bad batch (i bought 3 rolls, but of course who knows how long the source spools are and itf the rolls are from the same spool), who knows, i have a habit of getting the wonky version of something in about 60-70% of vape purchases though, im somewhat famous for having bad luck...for instance most recently with the Themis, leaked like a sieve from the top seal, on the back of the Zues, which also leaked like a sieve from the same top seal, which they both use, and yet i know plenty who havent had a single issue. Goes without saying im never buying another RTA that uses that top seal system :).

Further back in history i had one of a very rare dodgy Merlin RTA with an overly long 510 PIN. Im lucky like that, Im only sharing so im not putting the boot totally into zivipf, ill happily put the boot into AugVape and JoyeTech though, they more than earned it with me - i believe the reasons why are well documented by me on here:)

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Well yes and no, depending how you use it.

But i am working towards moving to the DNA75C, as evidenced by my madness in the Evolving thread :)
Watts mode, put your cold atty on and read the resistance. Set your power level and vape, if the vape is good hit Save Puff. Works like an absolute charm for me.

I run a Replay level of 5 with no boost.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Watts mode, put your cold atty on and read the resistance. Set your power level and vape, if the vape is good hit Save Puff. Works like an absolute charm for me.

I run a Replay level of 5 with no boost.

Yup, thats the most obvious way of using Replay, long time listeners to my madness know i hate watts mode with a passion so ill be going about it the tc way, or the long way, or prolly to most the wrong way :) I havent put a mod into watts mode in nearly 3 years, and ive been vaping 3.5 years...

I think we're kindred spirits on the boost though, the first thing i do on any tc mod i own is turn off the preheat/boost...to me its the 2nd most pointless thing in vaping after juice flow control...if i wanted to flash cook/burn my juice id just use watts mode and turn it up beyond where id actually vape it...oh wait im describing preheat/boost mode, this has become a circular argument, i really need to go to sleep now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread