Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I have cotton balls, cotton pads, hemp fiber, roll of cotton baton and my 44060 box all on the same shelf in the closet. My wife sent a small parcel and used a few feet of my precious RAYON and I almost went into respiratory arrest. All that cotton but uses the rayon to pack with. Box of rayon is now on the floor under other stuffs so that mistake won't happen again....;)

What, no 3 LB box? :D Still, that is a waste of good rayon. I'd ask her to use crumpled up newspapers/local-ads instead.
... Also trying to work off my ~130ft of fasttech [high-quality] silica. It ain't nearly as bad as it was in those old devices, but it still ain't no Rayon.. Albeit it doesn't ever burn through, leaving your wick to end up having those pull-off piggy tails when changing. :)

Split it out into gallon zip lock bags. Won't pick up odors, easier to access, easier to stash :)

Good idea, but that's a lot of bags to hold the 3LB box worth of the stuff. Hmmm... But come to think of it, I could just use those gigantic zip lock bags.

Although I still wouldn't store it near scented things, at least it could prevent dust from building up too much in the fibers over time - which is supposedly made up of mostly dead skin cells. Yum! Human [and dog] skin-flavored eliquids! :thumbs:

One thing I would question about that, though.. Is that most new zip lock bags have a pretty strong plastic odor to them. Maybe airing it out first will work, but I dunno. Right now, I have it in it's original bag, mostly closed up except for just enough for the 'snake' to pull out.. Then the box lid keeps it in place. I've had it long enough that any plastic scent might probably be all gone by now - though I don't have anything to compare the difference with.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Yes, a mess of bags :) Haven't had any issues with plastic odor, and of course the box comes with it in plastic as well. I find the bagged coil is a lot easier to stash than the big box, and yes, does minimize the chances of contamination. If some does get "trashed" it's not the whole box! (In my case it's cat hair, which does NOT wick well!! :lol: )

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I put my rayon, 25' lengths, in freezer bags. I keep one 25' length in a small wide mouth jar with a lid on it, to work from. You really get a perspective on how long a box of rayon will last when you start working thru a 25' length.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
You have to put that much rayon into some sorta storage container. Every time you move the box or reach in to get some your knocking dust, hand dirt and other cooties into the box. That flimsy plastic bag supplied don't do much for protection. I dunno what size ziplock but they sit squarely back in the box and I have a smaller ziplock that gets dipped in to put a few feet at a time into a container at my desk. I used the straw and vacuum method to pull out as much air to compact the large ziplocks.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Just checking in. Had a forum member send me some rayon in a care package and I worked my way through 4 of my rta's with it. I am impressed. I have been using mostly Kho Gen Do cotton for years and now I am a rayon convert. I still haven't figured out how to get the rayon to wick properly in all my rta's but in the Doggy Style, Skyline and my Kayfun Prime it was a breeze to wick. I like the clean taste and the fact that the flavor is stronger than the KGD. It is not a huge flavor difference but it is obvious. Got a box of Rayon on the way. If I can figure out how to get this to work in my Hurricane rta I will have this thing figured out. I even managed to wick my Tilemahos Armed Eagle with rayon and it works great. I haven't had it long enough to test the longevity but the flavor boost is enough to keep me interested. After reading some of this thread I don't find it very hard to get right in most of my rta's. So far the Hurricane V1.2 is the only sticking point.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Just checking in. Had a forum member send me some rayon in a care package and I worked my way through 4 of my rta's with it. I am impressed. I have been using mostly Kho Gen Do cotton for years and now I am a rayon convert. I still haven't figured out how to get the rayon to wick properly in all my rta's but in the Doggy Style, Skyline and my Kayfun Prime it was a breeze to wick. I like the clean taste and the fact that the flavor is stronger than the KGD. It is not a huge flavor difference but it is obvious. Got a box of Rayon on the way. If I can figure out how to get this to work in my Hurricane rta I will have this thing figured out. I even managed to wick my Tilemahos Armed Eagle with rayon and it works great. I haven't had it long enough to test the longevity but the flavor boost is enough to keep me interested. After reading some of this thread I don't find it very hard to get right in most of my rta's. So far the Hurricane V1.2 is the only sticking point.

Welcome to better vaping with rayon! :) Some get it right quickly, for others like me it took a longer time to get it right. And as you have found, not all atty's wick the same, it's a learning curve for each one. For "me", the two most important tricks are using more rayon in the coils then you would with cotton, rayon shrinks/settles, use to little and it will loose contact with all sides of the coil as it breaks in. Second trick is thinning the tails more then you would think, I thin mine down to 20-25%, some folks thin more then that and the rayon will still feed juice like a fire hose, it's amazing stuff!

I use the Steam Crave Aromamizer V1's and V2's with the two post decks. One thing that has worked well for me is when I thin the tails, looking at the coils from the side, I make the cut at the top leaving the tail on the bottom. This leaves the cut ends of the rayon on the top and exposed, I do that for two reasons,
1. It makes for a cleaner bend when tucking the tails under the coil. I'm able to fold the tails under while keeping the fibers in a straight line, not twisted like a braided rope. Straight fibers feed juice easier then twisted. It also reduces the bulk of the bend because I'm not folding over cut ends as it would be if the cut was made at the bottom. I wanted to keep the bends of the wick from laying against the walls of the chamber once I put the deck back in the atty and away from blocking any air flow from the side air feed holes.
2. With the cut ends exposed at the top, if I over stuff a coil I can pull a few strands at a time from the coil with tweezers until I get the right amount. I rather over stuff and pull a few strands then under stuff and have to rewick. Although I've used it long enough now that I rarely have to pull strands anymore, but it's nice to be able to tweak it rather then have to rewick.

The first time I experimented by cutting the top of the tails I wasn't sure if those exposed cut ends would be feed enough juice to keep up with my vape but rayon is just so damn good at feeding juice it's never been a problem, my wicks are always nice and wet.

But, what has worked for me may not work well for others, we need to experiment and find what works best for ourselves and for the attys we use. One thing for sure, once we find the sweet spots, rayon rocks! :thumbs:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Good luck with the Hurricane! I don't have that tank, so I'm afraid I have little to offer. I LOVED rayon right out of the gate, myself. It solved ALL my wicking problems, once I got a feel for the right build in each tank. I do find it more forgiving than cotton and the longevity is fantastic!

LOL, someone noted on this thread that you could rinse your rayon once it's gunked, with DW. I tried it, (curiosity mainly) and I will say my rinsed wick met a longevity place that I was not expecting. I mostly (if I'm doing it, it's just as easy to rewick) do it for flavor changes if I do it at all.. I was shocked, I accidentally turned one of my mods up to 70 or so watts. I'm a MTL vaper, and that hit was pretty burnt. With cotton, I bet it would have been, but I turned the wattage to its correct setting, absolutely no burnt taste lingered in either the wick OR the juice. I'm going to bet with cotton, I would have torched it.

LOL, this is turning into 99 reasons not to leave your Rayon or something, so I'll just say congrats, and I'm glad you are enjoying rayon so far. :)

Anna

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
no need the be coy roy
I use the Steam Crave Aromamizer V1's and V2's with the two post decks...
Trinity Aromamizer X Glass Tank
Coupon Code (TENOFF) <- dunno if it's still good, it was last week
I have 14 of these for my 20 or so Mizers
I know what I like.
mizer-x-and-nauti-cage-tanks-jpg.742765

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
When I got gunking with rayon, it was by stuffing the coil too thickly. It would gunk and eventually break, inside the coil.

I thin and trim my rayon tails quite a bit, (still leaving it tighter, but not totally CRAMMED in there, sort of thing) and too thick tails I guess could gunk up more quickly or somehow adversely affect the capillary action that you want with a good wick. It kind of makes no sense, until you consider that if you have too much wicking, well, it's harder for it to penetrate the tails completely which would lead to dry spots in the wick, maybe a dry hit or two, and etc. I don't know that it would actually GUNK more quickly, but too much wick is just as bad as not enough. I take that back, not enough usually results in me leaking all over a mod and that SUCKS harder. LOL.

Fortunately rayon plays to my strengths, a desire to over wick but over time I have found my "sweet spot." Etc.

Anna

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
So tonight I went back to my Hurricane V1.2 to give it another try with rayon. I have success with every other rta in my rotation and I was not going to let this one get away. I should disclose that the Hurricane has been one of my top three favorites for a very long time. I am using a VV Superfine Clapton so this was a re-wick. This time I packed the coil with rayon as tight as I could get it and I did very little trimming of the tails. I basically wicked it the same way I have been doing it on this rta for years with cotton. The only difference was the much denser pack inside the coil. Everything else about this was done exactly as I would normally do with KGD cotton. It worked!! I am running it in TC on one of my DNA75C mods and it is working perfectly. I guess sometimes the cutting and thinning of the tails is not advisable with rayon. You just have to make sure you pack the coil itself. I am relieved that I finally got it.

PS. My box of rayon showed up from the USA today thanks to Amazon. Shipping was stupid expensive but it will last for years.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
So tonight I went back to my Hurricane V1.2 to give it another try with rayon. I have success with every other rta in my rotation and I was not going to let this one get away. I should disclose that the Hurricane has been one of my top three favorites for a very long time. I am using a VV Superfine Clapton so this was a re-wick. This time I packed the coil with rayon as tight as I could get it and I did very little trimming of the tails. I basically wicked it the same way I have been doing it on this rta for years with cotton. The only difference was the much denser pack inside the coil. Everything else about this was done exactly as I would normally do with KGD cotton. It worked!! I am running it in TC on one of my DNA75C mods and it is working perfectly. I guess sometimes the cutting and thinning of the tails is not advisable with rayon. You just have to make sure you pack the coil itself. I am relieved that I finally got it.

PS. My box of rayon showed up from the USA today thanks to Amazon. Shipping was stupid expensive but it will last for years.

I'm sure some atty's are going to need a fatter tail or you'll end up with leaking, just gotta stick with it until you find what works. You could tinker with it some more and keep thinning a little at a time and see if it get's better or worse, then you'll know what the sweet spot is for that atty. But then again, if it's working for you... :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread