Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I haul the Rayon strand through the coil with the Leatherman, but I run 22ga or 0.8x0.3mm flatwire in my attys. Rayon that is too loose in the coil will give you perceived dry hits but it's actually the Rayon shrinking away from the coil.

What would choke off a cotton build doesn't happen with Rayon.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Yes, that's the rub. Too tight in the coil can cause the scorching. That can come from twisting it tightly for insertion and not getting it straightened (untwisted) back out.
I don't twist anything but the end, although I do compress the length of my wick... Should I use less, and fluff through the coil?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Your photos don't indicate too tight, but it's often just a case of trial and error with any particular topper. But the popping you report is more indicative of too loose a wick, not too tight. I'm still thinking you have it too loose.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Your photos don't indicate too tight, but it's often just a case of trial and error with any particular topper. But the popping you report is more indicative of too loose a wick, not too tight. I'm still thinking you have it too loose.
Thing is, it works fine for about 60mL, then starts spitting. No popping at all, just hot lava. In the first pick, you can see the size difference between the shoulder and I inside the coil portion, which deminished to about half the diameter. This makes me think I'm burning it...

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
I only use RDAs, so over-squonking is my only flooding concern. I'm more interested in thoughts about how shrunk the wick gets inside the coil compared to the shoulders. I'm thinking I could be scorching the wick, but also maybe too little to begin with, and I should try and stuff more into the coil?
Imho you have maybe a tad too much in the coil...and way too much tail. I mostly squonk..but I use the same technique in my sub ohm tanks. I vape a lot at 30mls a day..change wicks on Sundays out of habit not need.. You will find your sweet spot :)

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Out of curiosity, HigherState, what power are you using and is you mod TC capable? If I remember the numbers correctly rayon will not burn until it reaches about 600F so I seriously doubt you're burning or even scorching it but don't quote me on that 600F number.

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Out of curiosity, HigherState, what power are you using and is you mod TC capable? If I remember the numbers correctly rayon will not burn until it reaches about 600F so I seriously doubt you''re burning or even scorching it.
Mostly TC 60w, usually below 420°F. Some unregulated/mechanicals, but usually in the 60-75w range.

The spitting I get is similar to what a flooded atty produces...

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Well, based on my faulty memory you're nowhere near burning/scorching temperature for rayon. It still sound like not enough in the coil to me, anyway.
Yeah, it's either not enough, or too much. I just wicked a new RDA/coil, and tried a little less than usual, and if that doesn't hold out a couple of days, I jam twice as much in it...

• Optimistic
Reactions: Mordacai

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Yeah, it's either not enough, or too much. I just wicked a new RDA/coil, and tried a little less than usual, and if that doesn't hold out a couple of days, I jam twice as much in it...
When I wick my rayon I straightened the fibers flat like a pancake..then I do a slight Scottish roll. Then twist to get into the coil then I untwist inside the coil...then proceed with trimming..its harder for juice it travel on a compacted twisted coil

hisionics

Aug 18, 2019
I'd call that subscription wick. The company buy a cheap commodity, claim to modify it in some proprietary way that makes it superior but mainly serves to obscure its its origin and nature, parcel it out in small quantities in pretty packaging, and then market it for a premium that works out to a steady monthly revenue. I'd rather have a 40' box of the commodity thanks.

Much like how I will buy a kilogram of coffee beans for $12 that lasts for weeks and makes at least a hundred cups, instead of individually packaged 'pods' that cost $1 a cup, or even worse, coffee-flavored milkshakes from Starbucks at $5+ per cup.

well, i might agree but still is strange no1 else has done it before.
gotta say i'm kinda happy i could get a small package for few euros (to test it out) from my standard national store.

Also re-packaging, logistic and marketing can pay off. Amazon has built its entire core business on logistics ;)

Consider that where i live i can get only great quantities of Rayon paying at least 15€ (the Comair suggest by @bask ) or more.

Plus this Holy Fiber comes in long bits (similar to Cotton Bacon), just ready to be used.

Btw i ve already tried HolyFiber in a couple of atomizer (1 is the new arrived Tripod) and i can only say .... "WOW" :shock:

Zero external flavours, zero break-in time, no dryhits at all, fast wicking (liquid transport) also at veryHigh %VG.

The best thing is about DryHits. I can clearly recognize the "flavour drop" when coil is not enough wet. I pushed it to the limits (super-high HeatFlux) on purpose, keeping firing even when i ran out of juice. I got the "burned" flavour growing slowly but it starts/comes only after you have already reached a consistent "flavor drop"..so it's rly hard to have dryhits..u have all the time to avoid it! :evil:

At the end i opened the deck to inspect..Rayon still pretty fine, 2 "red" discolorations at the shoulders. Coil is kinda black/burned for my standards...clearly a lot worse than rayon.

Another big surprise is the Easyness of using it. :shock:
I thought was a lot harder than cotton (especially looking at the very 1st pics and videos here on Ecf). For now imho is the opposite. With cotton u never know if u are using the right amount (both too much or too little are not good). Too many brands, formats, ecc with different density and properties. With Rayon u know ... the MAX possibile amount inside the coil and the MIN possible in the Tails, just covering Juice holes (to avoid leaks).

The only thing i have yet to test is the longevity...i vaped only few ml on each try.
But for now the personal rate is 10 out of 10. :evil::evil::evil:

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
i'm kinda happy i could get a small package for few euros (to test it out) from my standard national store.

where i live i can get only great quantities of Rayon paying at least 15€
Well you're not alone. A lot of people prefer to pay a 'subscription' (predictable monthly fee) both for the convenience and so they don't have to front the cost of a long term supply, even if it ends up costing more in the long run. People have a way of being able to spare a few bucks (euros) whenever they want, whereas larger amounts pass an invisible threshold that reminds them of their budget.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Well you're not alone. A lot of people prefer to pay a 'subscription' (predictable monthly fee) both for the convenience and so they don't have to front the cost of a long term supply, even if it ends up costing more in the long run. People have a way of being able to spare a few bucks (euros) whenever they want, whereas larger amounts pass an invisible threshold that reminds them of their budget.
The smoker who says 'I won't pay 50$ for a " mod" as I only spend 10$ a day on smokes, ' as they head to the store to buy a carton...

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Aye @HigherStateD, you'll need a little more through the coil. But not so much as you really have to force it, coaxing is fine though.

And I assume that you sort of floss the coil a little to help it compress through the coil?

And if you twist it, you untwist it to make it wick effectively?

And above all, take notes. Don't want to get it perfect for you to only go and forget how you got it perfect for you. You should see the amount of notes that I have for making simple spaced SS316L coils for various atomisers, let's say that I have a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread