Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The translation (in English is ok too) is Viscose. I didnt know if all those terms (Rayon, Viscose, Lyocell/Tencent, ecc) were kinda synonyms. By doing a quick search seems that Lyocell/Tencen is a Rayon obtained by a specific trasformation process who is more eco-friendly. The rest are synonyms. Right?
Yes, "Viskose" or "Viscose" is a reference to the original process by which rayon was made. In German, it's called that no matter whether it's made using the original process or one of the newer ones.

u speak german?
I do. It was my first language, but it hasn't been my primary language for many decades.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
The translation (in English is ok too) is Viscose. I didnt know if all those terms (Rayon, Viscose, Lyocell/Tencent, ecc) were kinda synonyms. By doing a quick search seems that Lyocell/Tencen is a Rayon obtained by a specific trasformation process who is more eco-friendly. The rest are synonyms. Right?

mmm cool. I shd try to find it here too then. Maybe i find also smth similar to that German Viskose.

Yes, either synonyms or brand names. Do be sure they're 100%, as some, like Grahams here, may also be marketed as a blend with cotton.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I'm at 22 days with the 1st atty I wicked with Tidi and it's still going. That's with flavorless and some light flavored juice here and there in the squonker.

@Rossum , how long are your Tidi wicks lasting you. I seem to recall you're unflavored with a pinch of flavor here and there right?

I really like the Tidi a lot more than Graham's. :D

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
@Rossum , how long are your Tidi wicks lasting you. I seem to recall you're unflavored with a pinch of flavor here and there right?
Yep. My ADV mod runs straight unflavored, but I do drip some flavored into other mods.

Last time I changed wicks in my ADV mod was on July 7th. I probably average 3.5-4 ml a day in that mod.

Last time I changed wicks in my wake-up mod was on April 21st. That one probably averages 1 ml per day, with a few drops of my "Apple Pie" recipe.

Much depends on just how right I get the wick density and tails. The longest I've gotten on my ADV mod is nearly three months, but there are other times when I've felt it was necessary to dry-burn and re-wick after only 2-3 weeks.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
Two days, eh? I'm disappointed if I don't get two weeks, with a month being more usual, and when the planets align just right a couple of months.

Now I'll grant you I'm a tootle-puffer (0.75 ohms on a mech sqonker) and I use very little flavoring, but I still have a hard time imagining getting only two days.
lol. I'm recoiling/rewicking about every other day. My coils look dirty and since I'm using SS, I'm rather reticent about burning it off. That changes the composition of the SS, doesn't it?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
lol. I'm recoiling/rewicking about every other day.
What kind of wick? What kind of juice?

My coils look dirty and since I'm using SS, I'm rather reticent about burning it off. That changes the composition of the SS, doesn't it?
I'm not a big fan of stainless myself. I tried it before it was in vogue and went back to Kanthal. That said, I don't think there's much hazard to dry-burning stainless steel. The big worry there is hexavalent chromium compounds, but you have to get well beyond typical dry-burning temperatures before those form. Not to mention that Kanthal has at least as much chromium in it as stainless steel does. One could think of Kanthal as a stainless steel alloy that has some aluminum in it as well. Yet hardly anyone thinks twice abut dry-burning Kanthal. Go figure.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
lol. I'm recoiling/rewicking about every other day. My coils look dirty and since I'm using SS, I'm rather reticent about burning it off. That changes the composition of the SS, doesn't it?
Horselady154 , AVS has a web page on SS dry burning tips and getting long life out of your coils + wicks. Maybe that will help you IDK.
Stainless Steel Coil & Wire Instructions and Tips
He has two informative videos on that page as well as some tips for SS wire. He also has a series of very informative videos on the AVS YT channel. With SS you don't want to fire up your coil so it glows bright. You only need to pulse it to where you see a dim orange glow. That's what I do with my SS wire.
Hope that helps. :)

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
What kind of wick? What kind of juice?
Cotton Bacon. A variety of juices, but I imagine it's the sweetener that is getting them the most. One of the reasons why I need to learn to DIY. So many of these pre-mixed juices are sickening sweet to me. I do like my Highbrow Blueberry though; that one is not very sweet. Would be hard to give that up. :)

bask

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2012
The Euroneous Zone
dunno where u found those prices in Europe pal.
Comair viscose on Amazon. Some German Amazon shops will send to other EU countries. Just make sure it’s the 100% viscose one and not the 80/20 viscose/cotton.

I’ve seen prices as low as €6,90 for a kg, but that specific shop only sends to Germany. I hope the shipping costs to Italy are decent.

I figured what the Yanks are using is expensive here due to EU VAT shenanigans, so I just started looking for EU brands of viscose.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Some of the best advice I ever got on here was:
    "The biggest and most common mistake is buying product after product searching for that perfect vape
    instead of learning how to get that perfect vape from the products you already have."

Thank you, @tj99959

You're very welcome.

hisionics

Aug 18, 2019
    Comair viscose on Amazon. Some German Amazon shops will send to other EU countries. Just make sure it’s the 100% viscose one and not the 80/20 viscose/cotton.

I’ve seen prices as low as €6,90 for a kg, but that specific shop only sends to Germany. I hope the shipping costs to Italy are decent.

I figured what the Yanks are using is expensive here due to EU VAT shenanigans, so I just started looking for EU brands of viscose.

Cool thx pal. Nice tip. I ve seen this is sold by Amazon.it too at approx 15€ (1kg lol). There are both versions (100% Viscose and 80/20 blend Viscose+Cotton).

Good to know.. in the meanwhile i received the Holy Fiber (with other 2 atomizers).
    You already using this Comair viscose? You find it similar to others (Graham, Tidi, ecc)?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    TIDI RAYON BALLS Rayon Balls, Medium, Non-Sterile, 2000/bg, 2 bg/cs
    Looked, just out of curiosity & found this. I’m happy with Sally’s & at the rate I use it, I have enough for a few lifetimes.
    Note that those are medium, not large. I have not tried the medium ones, but I wonder whether they're adequate people using large diameter coils. Most of my coils are 2mm, and the largest I go is 2.4, but I know plenty of people build 3mm or even more these days. I suppose if it's too thin after unrolling, one could double it up...

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    Note that those are medium, not large. I have not tried the medium ones, but I wonder whether they're adequate people using large diameter coils. Most of my coils are 2mm, and the largest I go is 2.4, but I know plenty of people build 3mm or even more these days. I suppose if it's too thin after unrolling, one could double it up...

My introduction to Rayon wicking 'way back then' was Delasco medium size rayon balls. It's all I used for a couple-few years until I ran out. By then Delasco stopped carrying them. I was too lazy to search out another supplier and switched to Grahams Cellucotton. After unrolling a medium sized ball I used about 1/2 of it's width for a 2,5mm coil.

Here's a picture: top is a section of the medium sized ball, bottom a section of Graham's flattened out.

IMG_8253.JPG

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    It’s crazy though they want $9.99 for flat rate shipping. The price of $14~ for I believe 2,000 balls is ok but really? $9.99 for shipping? Crazy I say lol!

• Agree
    Reactions: bigbob2322

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    It’s crazy though they want $9.99 for flat rate shipping. The price of $14~ for I believe 2,000 balls is ok but really? $9.99 for shipping? Crazy I say lol!
    When you see the size of the box, you'll understand why it cost $10.00 to ship.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2012
    Sitting down, facing forward.
    Freight rates are determined by density and weight. Small, heavy items, think a transformer, can actually cost less than large, light weight, items, think rayon balls. The rayon balls take up way more room in the shipping vehicle.

Incidentally, freight rats are up, way up. Check out USPS Priority Flat Rates compared to what they used to be. Then again I remember paying .25/gal for high test.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread