Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hisionics

Aug 18, 2019
I run that same coil (AVS SS316L) in one of my B2Ks on the Inbox at 40W under TC, but I make contact coils since spaced ones pop too much for me.

If the build isn't giving you burnt hits then I wouldn't worry about a little discoloration in the coil, juice can contribute to that.

If it is giving you burnt hits, then trying to get a very tight density on a spaced fine gauge coil without deformation is a task. You can use the double insertion method by feeding 1/2 thickness of the wick into each end and pulling them through so they tighten in the middle. Also you could pull the wick through and fix the loop spacing afterwards with a knife or pick.

I run a lot of dual 8 wrap 22ga 3.5mm coils in my RTAs these days and that wire gauge is great. You can pull the Rayon through with the Leatherman and not worry about the coil even moving. ;) But that's a totally different vape, for low wattage builds like I have on my BSKR V1.5 MTL I use a simple 26ga coil at 20W, I gave up on 28ga when I stopped using Kayfuns.

I'm using Nichrome80 (i forgot to say that). I'll try to increase wattage even more than i tested out.

I get DryHit and BurnTaste, otherwise i wont bother you guys :)

the problem with Complex coils is that distorting em you can cause HotSpots randomly. Also using spaced coil. With Contact is even worse. I'm more a spaced coil guy, but i ve to say that with Rayon and Spaced i experience often popping and Spitback.

I will try the techniques (and tips) you suggest btw!

Is possibile that the Wick is too much/Dense (inside the coil) instead of being too little?

Thx again for your kind msgs/help

Last edited:
Reactions: Resistance

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Mr. Squee, please do wish the Goddess of Gloop a big hello from Bling in America, and a hug, too. Just for good measure!

And done, i posted your missive verbatim

In response, there was a nice reminiscence of yourself and Dave being a huge part of her beginning vaping life

But i know the usual "i wub you" subtext was just beneath the surface, probably slightly hidden because i occasionally reference the last time i passed on a "wub you" for you to her and tease her about it :)

You two are awesome

And im shutting up now, because i fear i could end up missing, only to be found years from now inside a block of resin :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Resistance

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Too much density will leave you with muted flavor or an off taste from the Rayon itself.

Yup. Once or twice I've gotten it too tight, it seems to restrict the juice flow to the center of the coil, and may cause it to burn through.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
And done, i posted your missive verbatim

In response, there was a nice reminiscence of yourself and Dave being a huge part of her beginning vaping life

But i know the usual "i wub you" subtext was just beneath the surface, probably slightly hidden because i occasionally reference the last time i passed on a "wub you" for you to her and tease her about it :)

You two are awesome

And im shutting up now, because i fear i could end up missing, only to be found years from now inside a block of resin :)

:lol: :D :lol:

Or we'll find ourselvies in a BAG O' RAYON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too funny, but I must say we're prolly distracting from this thread!

Thanks a millione, style. <wub>!!

hisionics

Aug 18, 2019
hi guys. :)
Good news here!

Firstly i've identified the "burn taste" i was experiencing. I'm quite sure it's Rayon that is burning (inside the coil ofc). I 've made stress tests with JK Mini and other 2 atties even arriving (on purpose) to dry completely the wick. The smell/taste i got from it is exactly the one i smell these days on JK Mini. The coil was perfectly clean and wick was instead getting orange.

I gotta say it's not rly "Nutty" (i find someone using this term) to me. It's more like "Ash/Cinder". Btw is different from the one i smell when the wire/coil is burning (that is more "metallic"), but not so far away..so it's not that easy to tell the differnce, but i think that with time i will be able to recognize both.

@TrollDragon
the good news is that i ve tried to (greatly) increase the wattage to 30/40w and it actually worked out :evil:
The Ashy flavour is completely gone :ohmy:
The strange fact (the reason why i didnt tried it b4) is that the ashy/rayoney flavour starts (barely perceptibile) at rly low wattage (10/12w) and keeps increasing dramatically (15/25w) till the point the only smell/tast is that ashy burning one.
When i hit 30w (and more) it suddenly disappears, leaving only our beloved (pure) flavor.

So i was underpowering the coil as you suggested @Troll

I tried same thing on another atty (Tripod) and flavor got a lot better too (the ashy one was less strong on this atty but still ruining partially the main flavor). So i got another confirm.
So i guess the density (inside coil and tails) is fine.. :rickroll:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Have fun! Rayon is the bomb. Not for everyone but some of us fanatics are passionate about it.

Anna

Although....Have you ever noticed on TV how flame ......ant clothing doesn't WORK? I mean people immolate like Roman Candles or something. I thought it was supposed to keep you safe and all. It doesn't appear to.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Can anyone tell me what's a good source for rayon. I cant find much info on it except for cotton/rayon mixes.
It depends on where you live.

In the US it's easy to get Graham Cellucotton 100% rayon.

Here's the 40' box: https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Cellucotton-Beauty-Rayon-Regular/dp/B00RONH4NW

The larger, 3lb (500' IIRC) is available at Sally's Beauty stores.

Make sure the box says 100% rayon (like the Amazon link), as there are also rayon/cotton and cotton versions.

Resistance

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2020
It depends on where you live.

In the US it's easy to get Graham Cellucotton 100% rayon.

Here's the 40' box: https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Cellucotton-Beauty-Rayon-Regular/dp/B00RONH4NW

The larger, 3lb (500' IIRC) is available at Sally's Beauty stores.

Make sure the box says 100% rayon (like the Amazon link), as there are also rayon/cotton and cotton versions.
In Z.A. searched earlier for 100% ,but wasn't too successful. Will check again in the day time. Thanks @markfm

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Can anyone tell me what's a good source for rayon. I cant find much info on it except for cotton/rayon mixes.

At the risk of quoting myself from another thread yesterday, hopefully this is helpful:

Cellucotton Rayon, which is sometimes confused with Cellucotton Cotton which they also make and often trips people up. The 100% Rayon fibers text or the SKU number on the box are the only way to tell them apart, as the boxes are otherwise pretty much identical

I know people who paid a small fortune to import some here to Australia, only to find they had the Cellucotton Cotton :(

Cheaper to buy in bulk off of Amazon, if you decide you like it, you'll get enough for a lifetime, and several friends lifetimes

Always worth asking when it comes to this stuff

I know i made up a table of known good Cellucotton SKU's for our home forum some time ago, to stave off the confusion, and heres what i posted at the time:

Known Cellucotton Rayon SKUs are:

SKU - length or weight
44040 - 1200 feet/365m
44043 - 3lbs/1.36Kg
44060 - 500feet/152m
44130 - 40feet/12m

Note: there is also reinforced Rayon, just to make it even funner, none of the above SKUs are other than full Rayon only

Resistance

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2020
At the risk of quoting myself from another thread yesterday, hopefully this is helpful:

Cellucotton Rayon, which is sometimes confused with Cellucotton Cotton which they also make and often trips people up. The 100% Rayon fibers text or the SKU number on the box are the only way to tell them apart, as the boxes are otherwise pretty much identical

I know people who paid a small fortune to import some here to Australia, only to find they had the Cellucotton Cotton :(

Cheaper to buy in bulk off of Amazon, if you decide you like it, you'll get enough for a lifetime, and several friends lifetimes

Always worth asking when it comes to this stuff

I know i made up a table of known good Cellucotton SKU's for our home forum some time ago, to stave off the confusion, and heres what i posted at the time:

Known Cellucotton Rayon SKUs are:

SKU - length or weight
44040 - 1200 feet/365m
44043 - 3lbs/1.36Kg
44060 - 500feet/152m
44130 - 40feet/12m

Note: there is also reinforced Rayon, just to make it even funner, none of the above SKUs are other than full Rayon only

This is good to know thanks.

RuiG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2019
Portugal
Hi, I have a new RTA, the trilogy rta.
It has huge juice Wells.

So my question is how to wick with rayon in a rta with huge Wells?

I didn't experience much differences when I started wicking my atomizers with rayon.

I don't own the trilogy but I would just go for it and see how it goes.

Stay safe.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Hi, I have a new RTA, the trilogy rta.
It has huge juice Wells.

So my question is how to wick with rayon in a rta with huge Wells?

Don't use that, either, but...

What do you usually use? Some variety of cotton? Start by wicking the same way, but a little tighter in the coil. Should be a good starting point, and you can "tune" it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread