Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archane

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2016
I have a question about rayon. I just bought my first kayfun ever. I got a good deal on a 3.1 kayfun. I decided ive had enough of sub ohm and loose draws and want a tight mtl experience. I also bought a box of rayon off amazon after reading so much about rayon. I can't seem to find any detailed videos though of how to wick properly with rayon, especially in a kayfun. I've read things about the importance of cutting the tails right and using more than you would with cotton through the coil but id really like to see that visually. Can someone point me to any good videos that shows how to wick the rayon correctly? I've used both cotton and silica which i can continue to use but this rayon sounds like it could be really great and i'd like to get my wicking right when i try it. My kayfun arrives tomorrow so i'm excited to see how it all works out.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Likely someone will come up with a vid... but KFs are easy :)

I use mostly the KF2L, the build is the same as the 3.1. Yes, tight in the coil with rayon. Listen / feel for the "squeak." Do a quick scan of the start of this thread for general tips.

After installing, fluff out both "ears", cut so it will just touch the bottom of the deck, then snip at a 45 degree angle. Put the chamber cylinder back on, use a toothpick (or similar tool) to tuck it down. The "mullet" cut isn't strictly necessary on the KF, but it can help to prevent over-wicking and gurgles. KFs are remarkably forgiving on wick :)

At that point, I like to douse it all well and do a few test fires before complete re-assembly. Along with making sure it's all working well, I find it also eliminates any "new wick" flavor.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Uh, both?

Mostly spaced because I usually space out... I like the fast action (which can be important at low power, I'm usually a 8.5 watts) of finer wire, so use 30. I'm not fond of the coil taking a bit to actually work, and then taking that same time to cool down, the "waste" heat carmelizing the juice all the while.

Compressed will last longer with rayon, since there's less chance of distorting it when wicking. Heavier gauge, I'd "recommend" spaced, more wire to wick contact area. And it's rigid enough to minimize the chance of being messed up. Lots of folk use 28 for that reason. But even with 30 the coil (if careful) will last many rewicks.

But, as with many things in vape, best to take any recommendations as merely a starting point for your experimentation, to find what works best for you.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Speaking of Kayfuns, I recently put the KF4 back into rotation to give the BSKR V1.5 MTL a little rest. The KF4 vapes better and is much easier to fill.

3mm 7 wrap 28/36 KA1 Clapton, 1.4Ω @ 22W
kf4-refmod-jpg.917209

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Love that mod, is it an original? (I always wanted one of those)
Speaking of Kayfuns, I recently put the KF4 back into rotation to give the BSKR V1.5 MTL a little rest. The KF4 vapes better and is much easier to fill.

3mm 7 wrap 28/36 KA1 Clapton, 1.4Ω @ 22W
kf4-refmod-jpg.917209

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread