Not open for further replies.

Tor R

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    It's only been a week since I started wicking with Rayon, so far I like it.
    A little more Rayon through the coil compared to regular cotton.
    I trim the ends by cutting about 30 degrees at the top so that there are shoulders after the Rayon tails is down in the wells, otherwise I do not trim. It has preferably been to do it quickly and easily, can certainly be done better than what I have done.

Compared to Bacon Prime, Fuzzion, Cotton Gods, Rayon lasts maybe 3-4 times longer before I have to rewick.

gsmit1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2018
    That's the first I've heard of that.
    What do you do to combine?
    And then do you somehow clean the wick or just dump it and replace?
    Rayon absorbs faster and cotton holds more liquid by volume.

My contention is that by combining the two we can get some of the best of both worlds. :)

There's several main ways to do it. You can pull a piece of each flat (like a Scottish roll) and roll them together in a spiral with either one on the outside.

Or you can pull one flat, roll the other one into a reduced regular wick and roll it inside the other.

You can experiment with how much of each to combine with the other. 50/50, 60/40, 70/30 etc.

There's numerous ways to try. It won't revolutionize your vape, but it does work great once you find a version you like. Or different versions work better for different setups.

newyork13

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 9, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    Rayon absorbs faster and cotton holds more liquid by volume.

My contention is that by combining the two we can get some of the best of both worlds. :)

There's several main ways to do it. You can pull a piece of each flat (like a Scottish roll) and roll them together in a spiral with either one on the outside.

Or you can pull one flat, roll the other one into a reduced regular wick and roll it inside the other.

You can experiment with how much of each to combine with the other. 50/50, 60/40, 70/30 etc.

There's numerous ways to try. It won't revolutionize your vape, but it does work great once you find a version you like. Or different versions work better for different setups.
    Thanks for sharing that.

simplesid242

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 28, 2014
    Monessen, Pennsylvania, United States
    I scanned through the thread, but i couldn't really find an answer. I have been using grahams rayon for a while now 2 to 3 months or so. Been in zeus x tanks and also a ragnar. Both with mesh. i'm not sure if i'm wicking right or not. It seems to last me about 3 days... flavored or not... i'm happy with the vape and like it better than cotton. mu question is pretty easy i think. I just need to hear from someone thats been using it awhile and that can tell me what size coil a full strand of the grahams from sallys will fit perfectly. i tried using it on reg coils, but i cant seem to get it right, or at least i don't feel its right. taste is always off, and i get a burnt taste. Just looking for a starting point so i know how it should feel pulling thru. I have some rda's laying around and would like to start using some of them again. However like i said taste just seems off. I believe it is just me not getting the correct amount in the coil. Also would like to try the other decks on the ragnar, and i also have a supreme v3 on the way.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    I have been using grahams rayon for a while now 2 to 3 months or so. Been in zeus x tanks and also a ragnar. Both with mesh. i'm not sure if i'm wicking right or not.

I've used Rayon with the Zeus X Mesh and I also use Grahams. While the rope varies in thickness, mine averages 2 ropes together for the mesh. I twist it really tight like you would twist a towel. Once you get it in (you need to press the spring down with the Rayon or tweezers), I untwist it (now it is really tight in there). The ends are done like you would do with cotton, but even thicker for the juice wells. Since Rayon shrinks when wet, cotton expands.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 18, 2013
    NY
    I scanned through the thread, but i couldn't really find an answer.

I agree with Bill (Hey Bill!) you want it TIGHT in the coil cause it will shrink down and once you lose contact with the coil everything goes to hell. As far as how big a wad to use? Trial and error, damn few get it just right, right out of the gate. I don't twist the rayon but I'll have to give that a try, I cut a piece of Sallys then from one end I pull/strip off a little leaving me with looks bout right diameter for my coil and feed it in the coil, if I can pull it through to easily I'll pull it all the way through, pull a little more off a string of rayon and add it to what I just pulled and try again making it a little fatter and try again, sometimes I have to repeat. What I'm looking for is it to be so tight it almost starts pulling my coil out of shape, I found once I have it started in the coil far enough that I can grab both ends with each hand I'll pull the rayon as tight as I can trying to stretch it, HARD, while pulling it through the coil at the same time. Pulling it really tight shrinks it down just a tad, again, I want to see that coil bending a little trying to deform but bending just enough so when I let go the coil springs back into place. No matter if you twist it or pull it or what ever you come up with the goal is force as much inside the coil as possible without ruining your coil. Sometimes it will pull the whole coil to one side just a little bit, that's ok with me, in fact that's good! I just use a big leather sewing needle to fix it back up. Even then, stuffing it as much as possible, over a couple days I'll find the rayon is loose in the coil, it's just the way it is.

I gently clean the crud off my coils about once a day using Q-Tips and a piece of whittled wood shaped into what looks like a miniature flat faced screwdriver, so I have a thin flat chisel shape point. I make those from long Q-Tips that have wooden shanks, those are small enough to get in between the posts and get some crud off the back side of the coil. While I'm cleaning the crud off I'll push on the rayon on one end of the coil, if the rayon is loose, slips back and forth freely, I'll use that little wooden tool to grab a little rayon and stuff it up inside the coil, repeat a few times on each end of the coil until I've stuff in back in there, as much as I can. Trick is to leave your tails longer then needed so you'll have some extra when it comes time to restuff the coil, if you cut your tails just long enough to cover the feed slots, holes, what ever is in your addy, you'll end up with short tails that won't cover them and have a leaker.

You mention burnt taste, on a new build? You'll get an off taste from new rayon that should go away after a short time, that's "break in" but it shouldn't be a burnt taste. You want to keep your rayon clean and wash your hands before building, it is important, hands, rayon, tools and build area, everything clean! I keep some sally's in a zip lock bag on the bench and cut enough off for one build, any left over goes in the trash, I don't leave any setting out. I also have a small dog and a couple cats, get a pet hair in there and YUCK! You'll know it! LoL

Trail and error my friend, don't give up on it, it's a different beast but once you've made it past the learning curve you'll never look back and you'll have enough rayon to leave some to your kids. Good luck with it and hang in there.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 18, 2013
    NY
    I've used Rayon with the Zeus X Mesh and I also use Grahams.

Hey Bill!! How the hell are ya? I see you made it through 2020, what crazy times we live in there days eh? Saw a email from the forum and wondered how the heck that got to me, I forgot I subscribed to this thread years ago. Say hi to the gang if you want, probably won't be back here again, on threads, but I'll reply to PM's if anyone want to chat. Hey, take care of yourself my friend! And as in my sig, "Don't let the .......s grind you down" Something my buddy always use to sign off with, told me he picked it up from his Sargent while in Nam, about all he'd say about it too (Nam). Again, take care, from snowy NY...... Come on summer!

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2018
    Perth, Western Australia
    I have some rda's laying around and would like to start using some of them again.

I have been using Grahams for over 18 months mostly on Profile RDA's and they are my primary setup. I use mainly tobacco juice and some dough and get about 2 weeks rotating 4 RDA's. My mesh will usually last 6-10 rewicks after a wet/dry brush clean. I use the bowtie wick cut Vaping with Vic on Utube style, one strand of Grahams and gently pack the rayon ends towards the mesh with the base strands softly into the well. My favorite RTA Mesh is the Damn Vape Doom...best flavor and no leaks. Sweet juice will quickly cake most coils including mesh, also I use Watt mode only and have given up using TC mode with mesh....works for a short time and them seems to lose the plot getting slowly weaker with use even on DNA and YIHI boards.

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 1, 2013
    Salem, OR
    I've never been a rayonati. I tried rayon a few years ago and didn't really like the taste, plus cotton had always worked well for me, so I stored the rayon and forgot about it. But a few months ago I got a Steam Crave Supreme on closeout. I don't usually have any problem wicking RTAs, but I tried every way I could think of and still would get the occasional dry hit. I read through all the Supreme threads I could find, and still couldn't get it to wick right. So yesterday, out of desperation, I dug out some rayon and wicked it with that. The two things I've always heard about rayon is to get it tight in the coil and trim the tails. So I did that, and voila - no more problems. And thankfully, this time I'm not tasting the rayon. Why it wouldn't wick with cotton, I have no idea. But it looks like I might learn to like rayon.

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    I've never been a rayonati. I tried rayon a few years ago and didn't really like the taste, plus cotton had always worked well for me, so I stored the rayon and forgot about it. But a few months ago I got a Steam Crave Supreme on closeout. I don't usually have any problem wicking RTAs, but I tried every way I could think of and still would get the occasional dry hit. I read through all the Supreme threads I could find, and still couldn't get it to wick right. So yesterday, out of desperation, I dug out some rayon and wicked it with that. The two things I've always heard about rayon is to get it tight in the coil and trim the tails. So I did that, and voila - no more problems. And thankfully, this time I'm not tasting the rayon. Why it wouldn't wick with cotton, I have no idea. But it looks like I might learn to like rayon.
    Any flavor you get from Rayon is most likely from your fingers. I find that Rayon doesn't have a taste.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread