Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
As @Rossum will probably chime in, the Tidi balls rayon is the "good stuff" compared to the proletariat grahams. Harder to source I'm told.
I’ve tried getting the Tidi Balls but to no avail. Seems like you have to know someone in Germany:D:D

mcduffy

ECF Veteran
  • Jul 9, 2017
    Quoting myself from earlier in this thread. Haven't checked the links.

This is a better price with shipping $14.86+$9.99=$26.34*
    TIDI RAYON BALLS Rayon Balls, Large, Non-Sterile, 1000/bg, 2 bg/cs (21 cs/plt)

*with 6% MI tax

So I searched some more for a better price or smaller amount of Tidi Rayon Balls. Not sure if the 2000 medium balls is a better deal than 1000 large or not.

Tidi Large Rayon Balls 1000 count bag
    $14.86+$9.99=$24.85 + tax
    TIDI RAYON BALLS Rayon Balls, Large, Non-Sterile, 1000/bg, 2 bg/cs (21 cs/plt)

Tidi Medium Rayon Balls 2000 count bag
    $18.63+$0.99=$19.62 + tax (shipping says Fedex - Freight Charge $0.99)
    Rayon Balls, Non Sterile, Medium

Tidi Large Rayon Balls 1000 count bag x 2 = 2000 count case
    $27.99+$12.00=$39.99
    TIDI Products - 969162 - TIDI Rayon Ball Rayon Large 1,000ea x 2bg 2,000 per Case

Still too much for me.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    They're available on Amazon. No idea if the price is good. Seems high to me.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJBE606/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A37C30DXZ4UX4F&psc=1
    Those are the Medium sized ones. I've only ever used Large. I'm skeptical about the medium sized ones. I wonder if they would yield sufficient material to fill a coil when they're unrolled. I guess it would depend on the ID of a person's coil.

I got 1000 Large over six years ago and I'm sure they will last me a lifetime, despite having given away quite a few baggies full early on.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    Those are the Medium sized ones. I've only ever used Large. I'm skeptical about the medium sized ones. I wonder if they would yield sufficient material to fill a coil when they're unrolled. I guess it would depend on the ID of a person's coil.

I got 1000 Large over six years ago and I'm sure they will last me a lifetime, despite having given away quite a few baggies full early on.

Medium sized Tidi balls from Delasco (they no longer carry them) was the 1st Rayon I used way back when rayon was becoming popular. I make 2.5mm id coils and if I separated/split a section of the unrolled ball carefully I could get two wicks from that piece.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Medium sized Tidi balls from Delasco (they no longer carry them) was the 1st Rayon I used way back when rayon was becoming popular. I make 2.5mm id coils and if I separated/split a section of the unrolled ball carefully I could get two wicks from that piece.
    Hmm... I make 2.0mm coils (actually 5/64") and I use about 2/3 of an unrolled Large Tidi ball.

Perhaps I like my Rayon stuffed more tightly in my coils than you do?

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    Yikes! Expensive to me too! I haven’t looked lately but when I did look Amazon didn’t have it at that time.
    PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a bag of dm Viskose balls, they are not Tidi but very good compared to Sally's.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    Hmm... I make 2.0mm coils (actually 5/64") and I use about 2/3 of an unrolled Large Tidi ball.

Perhaps I like my Rayon stuffed more tightly in my coils than you do?

I like mine snug enough that when pulling through the coil, any more rayon would be too much and distort the coil. It should be just tights enough that is doesn't easily slide back an forth on the coil.

That said, I've over stuffed enough coils that the coils pretty much totally collapsed on itself. The I have to spend a bit of time/care to separate the wraps of the coil so they're not touching. To/for me a really tightly packed coil takes longer to break in and give a tasteful vape.

It'a a fine line between just right and too much. I tend to err on the too much side a lot because not enough is NO GOOD.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Reminds me of school. A lot of the time early on my parents had me in this wacky type of school where to learn to knit you had to start by carding wool.... it stinks and has burrs in it.... To hand spinning it, also not easy.... Basket weaving class? Yup. It's on my transcript and I can proudly say "A" about that but we had to venture into the forest and collect our own vines and stuff.

I am not unrolling 4K balls, thank you very much. I know me, and when enough it 'Good enough" for me...

IDK about silica I always just wanted to try hemp rope but I hear it sucks.
    Anna

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    Reminds me of school. A lot of the time early on my parents had me in this wacky type of school where to learn to knit you had to start by carding wool.... it stinks and has burrs in it.... To hand spinning it, also not easy.... Basket weaving class? Yup. It's on my transcript and I can proudly say "A" about that but we had to venture into the forest and collect our own vines and stuff.

I am not unrolling 4K balls, thank you very much. I know me, and when enough it 'Good enough" for me...

IDK about silica I always just wanted to try hemp rope but I hear it sucks.
    Anna
    IDK, I see it as a "break this bundle of sticks" problem, as in, one at a time and it's easy. As for hemp, I hear it's only good on tobacco flavors. Silica I've tried in the boulder rock. There is a certain "brightness" it brings out in flavors, fruits were good.

newyork13

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 9, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    In the good old days silica wicks were common. Not so much now.
    I used them all the time with Greek made atomizers.
    I think they wicked flavor very well.
    Not sure if they were as safe. But, it's also hard to know what is, and whether it really matters.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @newyork13, silica fiber isn't the same a silica particulate. So it's reasonably safe to use.

Most of the information on conditions caused by silica involves fine particulates in a dry environment. Such as mining, quarrying and working with stone.

Not long fibres in a wet environment.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread