Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
So, I continue to have trouble with short-lived wicks. I did get three weeks out of one, but generally they're lasting no more than a week and often only a couple/three days before I get a sharp, burnt taste. Sometimes, when I pull them, the part that was inside the coil is almost black. Sometimes, there's what looks like scorched juice where the wick enters the coil.

I have trimmed the shoulders more and more and thinned the tails so much that I'm now dealing with leaking. It is frustrating: I like the taste I get from rayon and, besides, have invested in a massive quantity of Tidi rayon balls. I will keep at it, but I confess that today I went back to cotton just to give myself a break. The flavor isn't as good, but at least I know I won't have to rewick those attys for a while.

Just a tiny bit too tight, imo. Although the blackening where the wick enters the coil isn't uncommon, and not part of that.

For the "mullet" cut, I just fan the wick out both sides, vertically, then snip at an angle.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I've started using a "pick" to thin the tails, actually a nice pair of needle point tweezers. It allows much better control of how much rayon is removed, avoids the dreaded nicks in coil wire and makes it easy to get both sides thinned the same amount. Yes, it takes a little more time but seems to work better for me. YMMV

Reminder to self - Don't post when you're tired and bleary eyed from too little sleep the night before. I had about 20 typos between that little blurb and this note.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Thanks, @DavidOck. I was thinking that might be the problem. I'll try to wick less ferociously next time.

Ime, too loose will cause loud popping, at least on the first draw after it's been sitting for a while. A bit more and it will settle down to slight crackling. A bit more and it's dead quiet, unless you went with too much. Also dead quiet, but a risk of burning through in the middle. Yeah, practice :)

Reactions: OnTheFidele

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
The two I recently rewicked with rayon are crackling quietly with no loud pop on the first draw of the morning, so I guess they're not overstuffed. It'll be interesting to see how long they last.

Any suggestions on how to forestall leaking? Thinning the tails drastically seemed to help the wick last longer, so I'm reluctant to make them thicker. Could I stuff tiny pieces of rayon or cotton in the juice wells to act as dams?

Reactions: Tor R

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Can't help with that part, Zazie, since it's tank specific and I don't use that one. Never had any problems with my KF2s and Skylines. On those, the mullet cut seems to thin enough and not too much. I have read that others have had good luck with the well stuffing, though, so worth a try.

Reactions: Tor R

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So, I continue to have trouble with short-lived wicks. I did get three weeks out of one, but generally they're lasting no more than a week and often only a couple/three days before I get a sharp, burnt taste. Sometimes, when I pull them, the part that was inside the coil is almost black. Sometimes, there's what looks like scorched juice where the wick enters the coil.

I have trimmed the shoulders more and more and thinned the tails so much that I'm now dealing with leaking. It is frustrating: I like the taste I get from rayon and, besides, have invested in a massive quantity of Tidi rayon balls. I will keep at it, but I confess that today I went back to cotton just to give myself a break. The flavor isn't as good, but at least I know I won't have to rewick those attys for a while.
Not sure what you're doing wrong, but rayon should last longer than cotton.

In fact, I just re-wicked my ADV atty a couple of days ago, and the last time I did so was in December.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I've started using a "pick" to thin the tails, actually a nice pair of needle point tweezers. It allows much better control of how much rayon is removed, avoids the dreaded nicks in coil wire and makes it easy to get both sides thinned the same amount. Yes, it takes a little more time but seems to work better for me. YMMV

Reminder to self - Don't post when you're tired and bleary eyed from too little sleep the night before. I had about 20 typos between that little blurb and this note.
While I don't use a 'pick' I sorta use the same type of thing. I use a size 18 needle that is about an inch long and just comb it thru to get any rough spots out. Works like a charm and nothing fancy to buy. I started using rayon early because no matter which type of cotton I got I could always 'taste' an off note with it until I had gone through at least 2 tank refills. Don't have that off note with rayon.
:)

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Not sure what you're doing wrong, but rayon should last longer than cotton.

In fact, I just re-wicked my ADV atty a couple of days ago, and the last time I did so was in December.
It keeps on happening. In fact, I just had my worst week ever with one atty (the Gate). Had to rewick five times in one week. I tried thinner tails and thicker, longer and shorter, more wick in the coil and less. The same thing kept happening: a scorched taste and a blackened wick inside the coil.* I was frustrated enough today that I said, to hell with it, and rewicked with cotton. It's very frustrating, since I much prefer the flavor I get with rayon.

* This happens with other attys as well, though usually not as frequently (except one difficult stretch with the Dvarw), so I don't think it's anything to do with the coil itself.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
The two I recently rewicked with rayon are crackling quietly with no loud pop on the first draw of the morning, so I guess they're not overstuffed. It'll be interesting to see how long they last.

Any suggestions on how to forestall leaking? Thinning the tails drastically seemed to help the wick last longer, so I'm reluctant to make them thicker. Could I stuff tiny pieces of rayon or cotton in the juice wells to act as dams?
That is one possiblilty. Before I started using rayon,(and still using cotton) I would 'smoke' the coil(with wicking installed) after fully saturating with vg or ejuice in order to get rid of an off taste that cotton has for me. Only press the fire button for a second or two a couple of times allowing it to simulate the way it performs when you go to vape it. For me it got rid of an awful taste in the cotton but it may allow you to see what is happening and give a clue to why you are seeing scorching so soon. Scorching can be caused by so many things, ie. the ejuice you are using is better at lower temps. Some ejuices tend to burn easier. Temp may too high for the ohm on coil? It may not be just the wicking.

Just my thoughts. Hope this helps a bit.

:)

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
My coils are usually in the range of 1 to 1.3 ohms, and lately I've been vaping at 11W, so I don't think the problem lies there. And I'm having the same trouble regardless of the juice, though mint seems to be the most forgiving.

Red-faced update to the latest wicking failure: I just noticed that I had forgotten to open up the juice flow control after I filled the tank this morning. That's a relief. It doesn't explain everything, since it's the first time I've ever done that, but at least I know what caused this particular failure. It's really annoying, though: the wick had been performing well for a few days, and it's entirely possible that it was going to last. Oh well. I learn.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
The same thing kept happening: a scorched taste and a blackened wick inside the coil.*

* This happens with other attys as well, though usually not as frequently (except one difficult stretch with the Dvarw), so I don't think it's anything to do with the coil itself.

Next time you have a blackened Rayon wick, could you rinse it under tap water and see if the Rayon burned or just the juice (the burnt juice will wash away). Rayon takes hundreds of degrees hotter than cotton to burn, so it is hard to believe the Rayon burnt and not the cotton. My first guess is the juice burnt.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
P.S. I hate juice flow controls. At least the Gate is the only atty in the current rotation that has one.
I love them. But mine are purely manual. I squeeze a bit of juice into my atty from below pretty much every time I take a hit. :sneaky:

• Creative
Reactions: drmarble

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Liquid control is needed in a top fill, bottom air intake, atomizer. It's really a really easy explanation, a hole at the bottom while you add a liquid from the top of an enclosed space will result in a leak right out of the hole.

@Zazie You may actually be running a little too high in temperature which is resulting in burning the liquid. If it's a TC wire, switch to TC and go no higher than about 450, then back down until you get the output that you like.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    @Zazie if your feeling and hearing the squeak when the Rayon is moving through the coil and and your tails length is straight and not bunched up at the ends it has to be your tail end thickness, the same thing kept happening to my boss until he began raking the very ends of his tails like I told him repeatedly.

Because some pressure is applied when wicking your coil, the coil can sometimes drop down a bit lower and you don't realize it . That was another thing I found in his builds, especially if holding one end of the coil when pulling the Rayon through it.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    Juice control is only needed for poorly designed attys that flood when you fill them. ;)
    Liquid control is needed in a top fill, bottom air intake, atomizer. It's really a really easy explanation, a hole at the bottom while you add a liquid from the top of an enclosed space will result in a leak right out of the hole.
    Yeah, I understand the need for it. Doesn't mean I have to like it. ;)
    @Zazie You may actually be running a little too high in temperature which is resulting in burning the liquid. If it's a TC wire, switch to TC and go no higher than about 450, then back down until you get the output that you like.
    All my current coils are kanthal, so no TC here.

11W is too hot? How do high-wattage vapers ever manage?

Sorry if I sound snarly. It's nothing to do with you (I'm very grateful for all your help); I just don't feel well today and it's seeping into everything I write.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread