Status
Not open for further replies.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
@Zazie if your feeling and hearing the squeak when the Rayon is moving through the coil and and your tails length is straight and not bunched up at the ends it has to be your tail end thickness, the same thing kept happening to my boss until he began raking the very ends of his tails like I told him repeatedly.
This sounds very promising. I have to rewick my KFL19 today. I'll try my best to apply your suggestion. Thank you.

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
The same thing kept happening: a scorched taste and a blackened wick inside the coil.

My wife also had a similar problem with her smok AL85 and T3S. The T3S I rebuilt with Rayon and the two cases where she would burn her wicks were 1) Chain vaping 2) hit the power UP button to like 60 watts. The T3S coils are small diameter, few wraps and I run them at about 1-1.2 ohm. Sometimes the coil would just break. Other times she would burn the Rayon wick black in the middle to where there was one wick there is now two. All the others were "Honey, this tastes funny".....:facepalm:

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Liquid control is needed in a top fill, bottom air intake, atomizer. It's really a really easy explanation, a hole at the bottom while you add a liquid from the top of an enclosed space will result in a leak right out of the hole.

If you have a hole in the bottom, you forgot to plug the juice slots with a wick. ;) And when you open the juice flow control to vape, the hole is still there. So what's the point? You're only delaying the problem by seconds.

There are many top fill, bottom airflow tanks without juice flow control. Some of them work well and some of them doesn't. Some of them compress the air in the tank when you screw the top cap on. Which causes the juice to be pushed out the air intake. Having a juice flow control isn't going to change anything. The pressure is still there.

What you need to do is to bleed off the pressure through the juice slots by simply flipping the tank upside down for a second. And when you flip it back, the previous pressure is now replaced with a vacuum and all is well once again. ;)

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
I rarely take two hits in a row off a vape, and my wattage is firmly at 11.
Yea, I forgot that part. Wife ran at 6 watts, and I think coil ID was 2 mm maybe less. The T3S required NR-R-NR wire and I'm thinking were 32g-34g Kanthal. Yep, it was fun trying to wick because it didn't take much to pull the coil out of shape.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I'm working with six different attys: a KFL19, a Dvarw MTL v2 (or 3, can't remember), a Gate, a Precisio, a Doggy 2K16, and a KFL+ v2. Well, that's not quite right: at the moment, I have cotton in the Gate, the Precisio, and the Doggy because I needed a break, but I have used rayon in them multiple times with the same difficulties (hence the need for a break).

What I need is to be in the same room with someone who wicks them all properly and then watches me as I try to do the same. This is not going to happen, so I just have to keep muddling along. Some happy, holy day, I'll get it. In the meantime, I will occasionally kvetch here. Sorry.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Given that rayon wicks so well, even if it is properly trimmed and in the feed holes gravity will insure that it leaks when full and the top is off. There is no way to develop a pressure differential with the tank open at the top and the liquid will wick right out the bottom if there is not way to cut off the flow.

@Zazie What diameter coil, how many turns and what gauge kanthal? I routinely run in the 20-40 watt range, and can run higher if I want to, but that's with five wraps of 26 gauge titanium on a 4mm mandrel.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
No, not limited to unflavored or minty, but the sugar content does effect carbon production due to a higher level of carbon molecules in the liquid.

Any differences with reducing the tail, increasing trimming of the tails? Anywhere the rayon contacts the chimney will get a lot darker which makes trimming kind of critical.

Reactions: DavidOck

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
No, not limited to unflavored or minty, but the sugar content does effect carbon production due to a higher level of carbon molecules in the liquid.
Yes. But I'm going to use the liquids that I use, so I have to figure out how to make rayon work with them. I'm not vaping anything terribly sweet right now.
Any differences with reducing the tail, increasing trimming of the tails?
I will just have to wait and see. Various fingers are crossed.

I had to rewick an old KFL+ today, after eight weeks (this would impress me more were it not my mint tank, which I vape much more sparingly than my others). It's perfect for rayon: you can see where the deck is and trim accordingly, rather than working blind. I happen to have a huge number of old KFL+ clones, so, if push comes to shove, and I never have good luck with any other tank, I can always use up my rayon in these Kayfuns. I like the vape from them, so it wouldn't be a big sacrifice, even though messing with that little screw to fill the tank can be challenging on a bad day.

Come to think of it, the Doggy is similarly easy, and there's no screw involved to fill it. I have a lot of them, too (though far fewer--I went kind of nuts with the KFLs).

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Yes. But I'm going to use the liquids that I use, so I have to figure out how to make rayon work with them. I'm not vaping anything terribly sweet right now.

I will just have to wait and see. Various fingers are crossed.

I had to rewick an old KFL+ today, after eight weeks (this would impress me more were it not my mint tank, which I vape much more sparingly than my others). It's perfect for rayon: you can see where the deck is and trim accordingly, rather than working blind. I happen to have a huge number of old KFL+ clones, so, if push comes to shove, and I never have good luck with any other tank, I can always use up my rayon in these Kayfuns. I like the vape from them, so it wouldn't be a big sacrifice, even though messing with that little screw to fill the tank can be challenging on a bad day.

Come to think of it, the Doggy is similarly easy, and there's no screw involved to fill it. I have a lot of them, too (though far fewer--I went kind of nuts with the KFLs).
    Rayon works just fine in the Doggy, I have 4 and all have Rayon wicks just like every RTA/ RDA I own.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    I already have rayon in one Doggy, and, once I figured out I couldn't be as casual with the tails as I can be with cotton, it worked well. I'm just having so much trouble getting any longevity out of it in most of the other RTAs where I've tried it, I'm relieved to know that at the least I'll be able to use it with my old KFL+s and my Doggies. Though I'm sure that, with time, I'll get it right in other atomizers as well; I'm just taking a long time learning what I need to do.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I already have rayon in one Doggy, and, once I figured out I couldn't be as casual with the tails as I can be with cotton, it worked well. I'm just having so much trouble getting any longevity out of it in most of the other RTAs where I've tried it, I'm relieved to know that at the least I'll be able to use it with my old KFL+s and my Doggies. Though I'm sure that, with time, I'll get it right in other atomizers as well; I'm just taking a long time learning what I need to do.

Have you considered maybe increasing the coil inner id? I always had great luck with a 4 mm inner id. I was using titanium coils at the time. Then I switched to top fill rta's that have the top airflows and never looked back. So easy to use and don't have to worry with the air flows and leaking. Something to consider.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread