Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
So far I'm happy with titanium. Now, you guys are making me think seriously about SS 430. Just what I need, kanthal, nickel, titanium and SS spools all taking up space on my desk. I hardly have enough room to use a mouse as it is. Jeesh!

You're all a bunch of youngsters. I'll be 67 in February, and feeling like 70 right now after working outside for the last two days.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
So far I'm happy with titanium. Now, you guys are making me think seriously about SS 430. Just what I need, kanthal, nickel, titanium and SS spools all taking up space on my desk. I hardly have enough room to use a mouse as it is. Jeesh!

You're all a bunch of youngsters. I'll be 67 in February, and feeling like 70 right now after working outside for the last two days.

Lol

You guys can consider yourselves extremely hip. I mean your here running with 30 year olds and keeping up. So thats pretty darn cool. :)

Sorry dont mean to push ss, just my opinion. If your happy no need to change till your not... You already know what I think of ss and you don't have to worry about glowing the coil or weak wire. When the time is right for you to try it let us know.. many of us have 200ft and would drop some to you in the mail.

II had already got to that time and 54 pushed me over the edge. :)

Last edited:

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Lol

You guys can consider yourselves extremely hip. I mean your here running with 30 year olds and keeping up. So thats pretty darn cool. :)

Sorry dont mean to push ss, just my opinion. If your happy no need to change till your not... You already know what I think of ss and you don't have to worry about glowing the coil or weak wire. When the time is right for you to try it let us know.. many of us have 200ft and would drop some to you in the mail.

II had already got to that time and 54 pushed me over the edge. :)

I knew you were a kid (30 is still a kid) as soon as you said you can type on a smartphone and see any of it lol.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
Since a lady never tells her age (especially if she's old) I'll only say that I'm older than @IML8 but not quite as old as @awsum140. Now all you young whippersnappers need to turn off that crazy music! :mad:

So your younger than "Get off my lawn" and older than "Is that freedom rock? well turn it up man!" :)

IML8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2014
Oklahoma
You'll learn the secret handshake when you hit 50.
Ath29UY.gif

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
Oh forgot to mention... Luckily I got my stainless *430 wire in over the weekend. Its so good in temp control its like kanthal that I had been missing.. I chain vaped through the night on that first build and couldn't get to sleep till bout 3am. Lol.

I recommend it for temp control or even straight voltage. Its just like working with kanthal with a slight spring to it. I annealed it with blue flame on the stove like kanthal to make it less springy.
What TCR are you using for the SS430

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Oh forgot to mention... Luckily I got my stainless *430 wire in over the weekend. Its so good in temp control its like kanthal that I had been missing.. I chain vaped through the night on that first build and couldn't get to sleep till bout 3am. Lol.

I recommend it for temp control or even straight voltage. Its just like working with kanthal with a slight spring to it. I annealed it with blue flame on the stove like kanthal to make it less springy.
How do you anneal, Jeremy? Do you leave the mandrel in when you torch it? Or do you torch the wire before wrapping?

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I listen to classic rock more than anything, and by classic I don't mean 90's rock ;)

Zeppelin, Doors, Hendrix...etc. Ya know, the good stuff.
The good stuff...
Lots of Floyd, Zep, Doors, Genesis (only up to Lamb on Broadway), Tull , ELP and King Crimson on my portable DAP.

GMP 8.300 D FiiO X3 E12 Rezo 50 - 2.jpg

But there is also A7X, Disturbed, Dream Theater, the complete Infected Mushroom Discography and the latest Deadmau5 tracks. :thumbs:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Cindy, this is how I prep my kanthal, and now ss430.

I have a gas stove and I hold the wire with pliers (sometimes) and run it over the flame so it has all been evenly red hot for a second. I also hold a little tension on it, enough to keep it straight, and it comes out straight and stiff.

I'm sure you've seen the wire warp and throw off your wraps when you try to test fire that first time with springy wire.

So after the coil is wrapped I also temper,? if you will, the wire. By removing the mandrel lightly pulsing and carefully reinstalling the mandrel. I repeat a number of times, each time getting the coil hotter and eventually glowing. After the coils stabile and I can burn it without movement its pretty much not going anywhere.

Last edited:

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Cindy, this is how I prep my kanthal, and now ss430.

I have a gas stove and I hold the wire with pliers (sometimes) and run it over the flame so it has all been evenly glowed red. I also hold some tension on it, and it comes out straight and stiff.

I'm sure you've seen the wire warp and throw off your wraps when you try to test fire that first time with springy wire.

So after the coil is wrapped I also temper,? if you will, the wire. By removing the mandrel lightly pulsing and carefully reinstalling the mandrel. I repeat a number of times, each time getting the coil hotter and eventually glowing. After the coils stabile and I can burn it without movement its pretty much not going anywhere.
I have seen that horrible warp thing once or twice, with Kanthal no less. :grr: I think that was when I pulsed with the Disrupter for the first time. My perfect coil got totally mangled.
So you do this to keep your 2.5mm coil down at 2.5mm, instead of blowing up to 4mm when you wrap it, right? (sorry, have only worked with Kanthal)
After my coil is mounted, I pulse it, put the mandrel in, do a cold water dip, then repeat. Have no idea what that does, but it's become a habit now. Thanks, Jeremy! :thumb:

Reactions: IML8

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I have seen that horrible warp thing once or twice, with Kanthal no less. :grr: I think that was when I pulsed with the Disrupter for the first time. My perfect coil got totally mangled.
So you do this to keep your 2.5mm coil down at 2.5mm, instead of blowing up to 4mm when you wrap it, right? (sorry, have only worked with Kanthal)
After my coil is mounted, I pulse it, put the mandrel in, do a cold water dip, then repeat. Have no idea what that does, but it's become a habit now. Thanks, Jeremy! :thumb:

I just approached it like I did kanthal.This was my first ss coil, so I haven't tried it off the roll yet . The stainless did still kick back on me a little more than kanthal but only .1 -.2 mm or so in diameter probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread