Not open for further replies.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Thanks. nautilus is too tight for me. Funny. I started with cartomizers and used to love them. When the Evod was first introduced we used to stick toothpicks in it to reduce the airflow--it was considered by many to be too airy...

I used to love tight mtl tanks too, it's funny how your vaping preferences change.

Now I grumble if I don't get a big mouth of vapour and an airy draw. I think I just got too lazy to suck ;)

@Jebbn is another convert to RL attys

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    BTW, Katya - where have you been? I remember you were among my first interactions when I joined, and haven't seen you in a long time, until recently!

Real life got in the way. Nothing dramatic--just stuff... I'm back and happy to be back! Missed you all very, very much!

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    One thing I should add about the SMM, while I love this so much I have used it nearly exclusively for over a year, it does have one minor issue I should point out just in case it is a deal breaker for some. When vaping with the airflow(AF) partially closed there will be some condensation that builds up on the inside of the AF ring (this actually happens in all tanks with adjustable AFC), but since with this tank the AFC is removable (just slips off the bottom) it allows some of that condensation to seep under the tank. So when you take the tank off the underside will be damp.

I have never had any issues with this condensation getting down into the 510 connector though, so I consider it only a minor issue.

If you look at the bottom of the tank you can see the thin space between the AF ring (black) and the base (stainless) this is where the condensation seeps out. It stays on the stainless part though.

wotofo_serpent-smm_28.jpg

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Dvarw is a great vape, and a nice tank. I gave mine away, because the vape was almost identical to the doggy, but had more parts, more fiddly to build, so it wasn't really an improvement to me.

I did some more reading about the Dvarw (who names those tanks, anyway?). I like the inserts, dislike the fact that it has no external AFC (that's just lazy) and not a big fan of that tight building deck--it looks like the posts are very close together and there's not much space to comfortably fit a coil. And that sticking cap chimney top/cap? I'll probably pass for now. Thanks for your review.

Give the True MTL a try, Katya.

Nice looking tank, but 1.8 mm air intake hole is just too tight for me. If/when I feel like a tighter MTL, I reach for my eGo One with a CLR coil--exactly 1.8 mm airflow hole. Very nice vape, BTW.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Just for fun...and to make pod user's heads spin. And I heard if you twist the afc counter clockwise, while twisting the top thread clockwise, while standing on one foot, you could do time travel!
    View attachment 791073
    I rebuilt the engine in my 1972 Audi easier than I could assemble this from scratch!

The Kayfun 4 was my first RTA, I still own 2 of them.. lol..

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Okay, so restricted lung RTA's..

I still have the Silverplay on the way, I'm totally excited - bought one in gunmetal and one in black, if I like them I'm planning on getting the blue and the SS also.

Silverplay 24mm Multi Airflow RTA

I should get them in the mail mid week this coming week so fingers crossed, I'm thinking this will replace the Hastur, which to date has been my favorite RTA for restricted lung..

Hastur MTL RTA by Cthulhu MOD | Mouth-to-Lung Tank

the drawback for me on the Hastur was that the glass isn't seated, so it makes rewicking a bit of a pain, but overall it's been top notch otherwise, just the perfect vape for me @ 2.5mm airflow.

from the looks of the Silverplay it's a better designed Hastur, so totally excited.

I have the old serpent mini RTA but I consider that slightly too airy as if I close it down too much it gets too hot.. also I tried to have a drip tip designed for that but I think molehill mountain driptips had too hard a time making me a replacement with those specifications, so I was stuck and couldnt get a better drip tip of similar design to the stock.

Molehill Mountain Custom Drip Tips

Therefore, I just don't use it.. Never could get it right for me, although I liked the flavor I could get out of it.

Of course the Kayfun 5 and the Taifun gt3 are both excellent choices for restricted lung (I own both) but the taller designs don't look good on every mod.. so those rather need to be matchy matchy..

I think the Siren v2 is just a tiny bit too tight fully open, but I agree full open it does make for a decent restricted lung on the tighter side..

That's all that's coming to mind atm.. lol.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    I used to love tight mtl tanks too, it's funny how your vaping preferences change.

Now I grumble if I don't get a big mouth of vapour and an airy draw. I think I just got too lazy to suck ;)

@Jebbn is another convert to RL attys

Yep! I went from a VV berserker on December 15th to a serpent smm on the December 17th and now Im either using a wide open Vapfly Horus or a wide open VV Revolver among others.
    I fired up a berserker the other day and made it through about 10puffs before I emptied it and packed it away again.
    I quit smoking and no longer need to try and replicate the draw of it.

What makes me laugh about it is I have stock piled a lot of mtl rta's and tanks and coils that I I'll never use.
    The day I fully changed over to DL I got 4 mtl rta's in the mail that I haven't even bothered to unbox.
    Its all good, they will find new homes over time

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    I did some more reading about the Dvarw (who names those tanks, anyway?). I like the inserts, dislike the fact that it has no external AFC (that's just lazy) and not a big fan of that tight building deck--it looks like the posts are very close together and there's not much space to comfortably fit a coil. And that sticking cap chimney top/cap? I'll probably pass for now. Thanks for your review.

Nice looking tank, but 1.8 mm air intake hole is just too tight for me. If/when I feel like a tighter MTL, I reach for my eGo One with a CLR coil--exactly 1.8 mm airflow hole. Very nice vape, BTW.

I had to retire all my ego ones when I returned to MTL. Even AFC fully closed, way too airy for me. I do miss them tho.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    you just like tight.. lol
    Well, you would think so. But in truth, even when I started, I liked the Nautilus 2 wide open. Then on the KM3, I not only did it open, I removed the AF grub screw, and wished it was a little more open. K5 was open enough, but just a loose, sloppy vape. Doggy SXK was good, but I preferred the more open SJMY- wide open.
    Now the True is a little tighter than Doggy, and tighter than I would have thought I'd like, but wow - the vape is so good, I can live with it.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I still have the Silverplay on the way, I'm totally excited - bought one in gunmetal and one in black, if I like them I'm planning on getting the blue and the SS also.

That looks interesting. Keep us posted, will you?

I watched a bunch of Youtube reviews last night. There are so many new tanks, several costing almost $200, and they all have some irritating flaws; minor maybe, but irritating nevertheless. One would think that by now someone would make a simple RTA that just works. They are all based on the SvoeMesto's basic design, after all, with a few innovations here and there (leg trapping, airflow, etc.), and yet nobody can get it just right. Why is it so hard to make a perfect RTA?

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I had to retire all my ego ones when I returned to MTL. Even AFC fully closed, way too airy for me. I do miss them tho.

Interesting. I really don't enjoy anything tighter than the eGo One with 1.8 mm CLR. Ha!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    That looks interesting. Keep us posted, will you?

I watched a bunch of Youtube reviews last night. There are so many new tanks, several costing almost $200, and they all have some irritating flaws; minor maybe, but irritating nevertheless. One would think that by now someone would make a simple RTA that just works. They are all based on the SvoeMesto's basic design, after all, with a few innovations here and there (leg trapping, airflow, etc.), and yet nobody can get it just right. Why is it so hard to make a perfect RTA?

I certainly will update once I have a build in it..

As far as why can't they build one RTA correctly, lol.. I don't know.

The Hastur would have been absolutely perfect, beyond compare but then they can't bother with a design which seats the glass... I figured they would fix it with a V2 so I held my breath and waited and lo and behold they come out with that crappy Hastur mini that had all of zero in common with the version 1 Hastur..

I couldn't even figure out why they didn't just give it a different name as it's so different from the Hastur and absolutely unusable for the very people who loved the Hastur.. idiotic.

The Siren is great but I don't consider it RL.. I'd have to open the airflow more for my use, but if this Silverplay doesnt do it for me then I think I will.

I have the Siren v2 for my husband, and I don't think I could make that thing leak if I tried. It's literally the best RTA I've ever built, certainly the easiest.. nothing wrong with it but airflow so I may end up getting a few of those for me and just mark them as mine somehow then use the dremel tool on it, widen out the airflow some.

I just hate having the same brand RTA as hubby.. I want to tell mine apart from his.. lol.. he vapes tobacco. nasty.

But it's a rare RTA that I can find no fault with... and why? I haven't a clue. Lord knows I think they should actually vape these things before deciding it's a good design..

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    The Siren is great but I don't consider it RL..

Agreed. I've been contemplating the Siren for a while, but I found my SJMY Doggy in the meantime, and it's become my go-to, at least for the time being. That spinning AFC ring is an annoyance I can live with. What I would like to have is an RTA with an adjustable internal airflow intake opening, so that every vaper can dial in the exact size they want--from tight MTL to wide open DTL. I'm sure it can be done.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread