SFY Plug - Inspired by ZFM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
Ok, after all the ways I made the mold this is the best. It has a small air flow to allow proper wicking. The hole looks bigger than it is because its a closeup.

I used a size 10 star tool to make the center hole and a small paperclip to put a side air vent hole. Both are pictured. Do not make 2 air holes as it will cause flooding! This way works perfect so far! This is what I will be sending to the people I PM'd. mod well!

P.S - after 20 minutes of curing, place in a cup with hot water and let it sit for 2-4 minutes, makes it cure totally!
DSCN3903.jpg

DSCN3905.jpg

DSCN3907.jpg

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Now your modding! hehe. Theres point i was trying to get through to scottyballs awhile back with my hint of looking at a sippy cup. The sippy cut seals so no fluid will leak yet, when you suck on the mouth piece fluid will pass through.. but only because theres another tiny hole for air to enter.

Theres your hole!

Now as long as that hole dont clog with fluid... it will wick.

Last edited:

Soundofmind

Dec 30, 2009
California
I am staying glued to this thread.

Ego, thanks for sharing this cart mod! The use of high-temp silicone appears to be the cure. You have put alot of thought into this: It is obviously NOT a half-baked idea. If this mold idea works as well as you have indicated, we're all set.

I can't wait to try it out and form my own opinions.

Looking forward to seeing performance updates...

***All puns patented and intended***

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
Nice work, Ego!

Does it really need the air flow hole? Did you see a difference before and after? I would think the bridge mesh was open enough to allow air to get into the cart. How thick (deep) is the plug? I'm wondering about using it with a 510 flat tip...

Its in between 3/8 and 1/4 of an inch deep. I cut the end off a 510 cart with a razor blade to make the mold.

The problem I was running into without the airvent hole was the same problem I had with the ZFM plug. I would have to shake it to get the fluid to go to the bridge. With the air hole it seems to flow when I vape. Both work, but u have to shake it every once in awhile without the air hole to get it to flow. I didnt want to look like I had a "tick" when I am using it at my local bar! lol

If you want one just PM me. You are one of the ones I was going to send it to. I will make you both. Air hole and no air hole.

I was also thinking of just putting a lot of paper clip holes all over it without using a big center hole, kinda like a honeycomb.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Yeah you could try a bunch of different molds and air options. Mold it to a atty bridge and then add a bunch of holes like a shower head. It might then work like the blue foam.

Once you get one working like ya want, just use that one exclusivly to see how it holds up over a couple of days to the constant heat and cool down and ofcourse the constant removing. Since its soft it may tear.

Last edited:

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
Mold-n- Pour™ Basics

Found this at Michael's site. Is there any reason this Mold-n-Pour stuff wouldn't work exactly the same as the Amazing Mold Putty?

The Mold-n-Pour claims to withstand temps up to 650! That's higher than the Amazing Mold Putty, no?

you could use that, yes. The only difference is that is a pour mold. The one I use is a putty so its ez to form. Feels like silly putty.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Mold-n- Pour™ Basics

Found this at Michael's site. Is there any reason this Mold-n-Pour stuff wouldn't work exactly the same as the Amazing Mold Putty?

The Mold-n-Pour claims to withstand temps up to 650! That's higher than the Amazing Mold Putty, no?

You'll have to probably do some searching to find out if its safe or not.. Much want to get ahold of the company and see if its safe to use for food ect.

Michaels is usually expensive.. How much is it?

IAMREALITY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
New Jersey
you could use that, yes. The only difference is that is a pour mold. The one I use is a putty so its ez to form. Feels like silly putty.

Click on the link and read the description. It sounds the same as yours, but it's blue instead of yellow. Still have to roll two balls etc. I think the 'pour' you were looking at was the picture in the link, with that being liquid poured into the actual MOLD. Same stuff in essence, I believe.

IAMREALITY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
New Jersey
I can't wait to give this a try to use on my new xhaler. I think you did a tremendous job in not only coming up with this but seeing it through and revising it. I think you've stood your ground quite well in this thread and I love your willingness to send it out to the old timers.

Right now this has the potential to be the number one leading cart mod on the board. I think that eclipse should hand over his vapy award and it be given to you instead! lol

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
I can't wait to give this a try to use on my new xhaler. I think you did a tremendous job in not only coming up with this but seeing it through and revising it. I think you've stood your ground quite well in this thread and I love your willingness to send it out to the old timers.

Right now this has the potential to be the number one leading cart mod on the board. I think that eclipse should hand over his vapy award and it be given to you instead! lol

Well if it fails in the long run, at least I have a bunch of tiny cookie molds to feed ants.

Vapy award? Is it made of $100 bills? I like money!

And thanks!

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Well if it fails in the long run, at least I have a bunch of tiny cookie molds to feed ants.

Vapy award? Is it made of $100 bills? I like money!

And thanks!

naw.. no money. Just pride.. oh and the occational problems from others that are upset about it. Hell i didnt even know about any awards nor asked to be nominated. Would'nt of even known about winning anything if it was'nt for some post in the nhaler forum as www.nhaler.com got best overall supplier of the year.

IAMREALITY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
New Jersey
I would think so.

Also, as a really odd though; couldn't we use this to make an ENTIRE cart mod? As in mold the cart and inside itself, and make an entire putty cartridge with the top part already molded into it (with star and paper clip hole) and then even elongate the body itself so that we could have a 150% increased volume cart with sealed top with atty hole? Once made, you could mold cart after cart after cart!

Darmeen

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
TX USA
I dont understand your statement?
He did a test on 6.92 volts and the top temp was 365 degrees on a dry atty held for 6 seconds. 365 doesnt effect the putty. I also dont put it on a dry atty, but thatnks for showing its safe to do. 365 degress was peak and it was on a HV. I also dont hold my button down for 6 seconds, he stated that was worse case scenerio. Thanks for the link.

I love mods, and I think your's is an awesome idea, but I have one small concern...your putty is rated for 395 F, does it say anywhere what the safe operating temp is for it?

Here is my concern...The 365 you are talking about in the quote above is 365 C, which is 689 F, well above the 395F you are talking about.

I am using a ZFM mod variant right now, and I made sure that the silicone I am using is rated to 1000F.

I am only worried that if the putty becomes even slightly unstable for a brief second of too much heat, that could lead to some sort of poisoning, either short or long term...I don't want to see you or anyone else get sick, which is the only reason I bring it up.

I don't want to see any of my vaping friends sick from something we could have prevented.

Soundofmind

Dec 30, 2009
California
I just called my local Michael's store and they said they had never heard of it. I asked if it was something they could order and I was told they couldn't order stuff if they didn't stock it. WTF? Isn't that point of ordering something? LOL

I informed my helpful customer service representative that, according to the website, the Mold-n-Pour was not available online and I should contact my local store. Silence....

Anyway, my friend told me they have a vast selection of different brands of similar product at the local Ben Franklin craft store.

Maybe your local Michael's carries it, but this stuff widely available. Don't know about price, though....

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
I would think so.

Also, as a really odd though; couldn't we use this to make an ENTIRE cart mod? As in mold the cart and inside itself, and make an entire putty cartridge with the top part already molded into it (with star and paper clip hole) and then even elongate the body itself so that we could have a 150% increased volume cart with sealed top with atty hole? Once made, you could mold cart after cart after cart!

U could use the straw to support the mold so it doesnt get pushed in the cart. I use the round 510's that have the lip inside so no straw is needed. I dont know about molding a cart, as the 510 cart would be difficult. I use 510 attys on everything I own. Nicostick, chuck, and standard 510 crap batteries.

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
I love mods, and I think your's is an awesome idea, but I have one small concern...your putty is rated for 395 F, does it say anywhere what the safe operating temp is for it?

Here is my concern...The 365 you are talking about in the quote above is 365 C, which is 689 F, well above the 395F you are talking about.

I am using a ZFM mod variant right now, and I made sure that the silicone I am using is rated to 1000F.

I am only worried that if the putty becomes even slightly unstable for a brief second of too much heat, that could lead to some sort of poisoning, either short or long term...I don't want to see you or anyone else get sick, which is the only reason I bring it up.

I don't want to see any of my vaping friends sick from something we could have prevented.

Thats insane! lol, Im pretty sure my atty cant burn hotter than my oven! The atty would give me 3rd degree burns! But....The mold doesnt catch fire or produce toxins. If it reaches its max temp it begins to lose shape. You cant melt it down. I totally agree with you, I dont want to smoke toxins or I would stay on analogs! But it is non toxic and rated for food. Hope this helps. You can find info on the product at http://www.moldputty.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread