SFY Plug - Inspired by ZFM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
Would have thought that too, but looking at the msds, this becomes as inert as regular silicone when cured...I am sure during the curing process you might have issues, but it cures in like 20 minutes...

I feel a lot better about this product now that I got to look at the MSDS.

I feel dumb after reading it, because I dont know what any of it means...lol

Good its great though

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
This is to funny. You know what stuff I was trying out? Silly Puddy. LOL! It works as well. :p But this looks better. I will wait to see your results first. Silly Puddy works and is way cheaper and just as easy to mold and can be picked up in most stores where there are toys!

Do NOT.. and I repeat DO NOT use Silly Putty for any component that will come in contact with your atomizer bridge or e-liquid.

One look at the components, MSDS, noxious fume generation, and flammability potential.. and you know that it's not the answer.

420GypsyGirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
Near a beach in a desert.
Know what is cool about Silly Puddy is it can take the heat, is silicon based and can fit any cartridge. Works really well and it is easyto work with and when you press the cart on the puddy takes the shape of the atty. All I did was use a philips head screw driver to make a hole and the atty did the rest. Stuff works. I still think this plug method you've come up with mught be a better solution since the plug can be molded and reused over and over again. I really hope it does work because this would make vaping so much better.

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
Do NOT.. and I repeat DO NOT use Silly Putty for any component that will come in contact with your atomizer bridge or e-liquid.

One look at the components, MSDS, noxious fume generation, and flammability potential.. and you know that it's not the answer.

I dont even let my daughter play with it! lmao

420GypsyGirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010

Silly Puddy has a high tempature rating 450 degrees. Also the liquid keeps it cool so it isn't going to burn - it hasn't yet. In fact it hasn't shown any weird deformation from using it. I read the MSDS on silly puddy before trying it. I wouldn't have used it if I thought it was dangerous.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
OK:

Silly Putty will dissolve when in contact with an alcohol. (Many e-liquids have alcohol in them)

Silly Putty is flammable. When lit, the flame is a very bright white but burns slowly. The leftover ash crumbles very easily.

When Silly Putty is baked in an oven at 450 °F (232 °C) for 15 minutes, it gives off noxious fumes.

The original coral-colored Silly Putty is composed of 65% dimethyl siloxane (hydroxy-terminated polymers with boric acid), 17% silica (crystalline quartz), 9% Thixatrol ST (castor oil derivative), 4% polydimethylsiloxane, 1% decamethyl cyclopentasiloxane, 1% glycerine, and 1% titanium dioxide.

Sorry.... not for me.....

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
OK:

Silly Putty will dissolve when in contact with an alcohol. (Many e-liquids have alcohol in them)

Silly Putty is flammable. When lit, the flame is a very bright white but burns slowly. The leftover ash crumbles very easily.

When Silly Putty is baked in an oven at 450 °F (232 °C) for 15 minutes, it gives off noxious fumes.

The original coral-colored Silly Putty is composed of 65% dimethyl siloxane (hydroxy-terminated polymers with boric acid), 17% silica (crystalline quartz), 9% Thixatrol ST (castor oil derivative), 4% polydimethylsiloxane, 1% decamethyl cyclopentasiloxane, 1% glycerine, and 1% titanium dioxide.

Sorry.... not for me.....

Just stick with mold putty! It wont kill you! You tried this yet scott?

420GypsyGirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
I do not use e-liquids with achohol. Second, the atty's I use don't even come s lcose to reaching 450 degrees! Plus, the ingredients you just desrcibed is in most silicon based compunds including the stuff the this current plug mod is made of. There really is very little difference.

Amazing Mold Putty

What is it made of.

Dimethyl Polysiloxane, Vinyl Terminated 68083-192 35-45% Non-Hazardous
Silicone Dioxide 112945-52-5 12-56.6% Non-Hazardous
Amorphous Silica 60676-86-0 3-8% Non-Hazardous
Cristobalite Silica 14464-46-1 5-25% 0.1 mg/m3
Chloroplatanic Acid Complex 16941-12-1 0.2-1.0% Non-Hazardous
Mineral Oil USP 08042-47-5 0.1-5% Non-Hazardous
Titanium Dioxide 13463-67-7 0.1-1.0%

Burns, like silly puddy at 450 degrees and gives of toxic fumes. LOL!

But hey...I was testing it. It had to be remade each time you use it. That gets old. As I have said this mod does look better because it is simpler to use.

Last edited:

420GypsyGirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
MSDS for Silly Puddy

CRAYOLA LLC EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBER:
1100 CHURCH LANE 1-800-535-5053
EASTON, PA 18044 or call local POISON CONTROL CENTER
1-800-272-9652
support@crayola.com
SUBSTANCE: SILLY PUTTY(R)
TRADE NAMES/SYNONYMS:
PRODUCT COLORS/CODES: 08-0102; 08-0302; 08-0202; 08-0905; 08-0415; 08-0402;
08-0110; 08-0104; 08-0106; 08-0412; 08-0001; 08-0108; 08-0949 METALLIC;
08-6051; 08-6052; 08-6053; BEIGE; SUNBURST YELLOW; FLUORESCENT BLUE; NEON
GREEN; HOT MAGENTA; ELECTRIC ORANGE; HOLIDAY (RED/GREEN/SILVER/GOLD);
HALLOWEEN ORANGE; GLOW-IN-THE-DARK; EGG-CENTRIC; GLITTER; SILLY PUTTY; SILLY
PUTTY SPRING SPARKLE PACK; BNSSS102
PRODUCT USE: Arts and Crafts
CREATION DATE: Nov 12 1997
REVISION DATE: Jun 14 2007
2. Hazards Identification​
NFPA RATINGS (SCALE 0-4): HEALTH=1 FIRE=1 REACTIVITY=0​
1​
EMERGENCY OVERVIEW:
COLOR: various colors
PHYSICAL FORM: solid
ODOR: odorless

MAJOR HEALTH HAZARDS: No significant target effects reported.

POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS:
INHALATION:
none
SKIN CONTACT:
none
EYE CONTACT:
none
INGESTION:
none
CARCINOGEN STATUS:
OSHA: No
NTP: No​
IARC: No

3. Composition, Information on Ingredients​
COMPONENT: Product has been certified as non-toxic by The Art and Creative
Materials Institute, Inc. and conforms to ASTM D-4236 Standard Practice for
Labeling Art Materials for Acute and Chronic Adverse Health Hazards.
CAS NUMBER: Not assigned.
EC NUMBER: Not assigned.​
PERCENTAGE: 100

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Just stick with mold putty! It wont kill you! You tried this yet scott?

No Ego.. I haven't. But it is on the list! My shape will be different due to the fact that I use 901 carts...... and I won't put the secondary hole in it since it will go on the end of my Micro Juice Box. But I'm certainly going to give it a try since it will be easier to form than the 100% silicone that I am currently using.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
I do not use e-liquids with achohol. Second, the atty's I use don't even come s lcose to reaching 450 degrees!

I'm not worried about the bridge.. I'm worried about material that might come in contact with the atty coil.... or what might happen with abuse.

It is not uncommon for an atty coil to get over 400 degrees F. Heck, it's not uncommon for an atty coil to get over 1000 degrees F. If you've ever seen one glow red........

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
I'm curious. Has anybody else actually made one of these and did it work? I have a little room left in my cart mod leftovers drawer so I thought I'd go ahead and buy some to try it. The hole in the plug looks very big. It doesn't leak at all?
Curious minds want to know .....

I have used it for over 24 hours with no flooding. The hole isnt big. Its actually smaller than the bridge. The bridge stretches the hole and it fits perfect around it. The side hole is very small, just use to allow proper air flow.

Wish someone else would try it. My only tip would be to soak it in scalding hot water after 20 minutes of curing to make it fully cure. There is a difference in putting it in the hot water and not. It is more flemsy without the water technique. I leave it in the water for 5 minutes. Seems to manage better. Just use a size 10 star tool for the proper size hole.

The hole could actually be bigger.

Faceless

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
Well then I would be worried about the Mold stuff it burns at 450 degrees as well. It even comes with a warning to not bake things it it at that tempature.

No warning. Just says it will get flemsy and lose shape. It wont burn and its non toxic. Has to be a period of time also. Like in an oven for 15 minutes of straight heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread