lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
giphy.gif

I'm at the awkward age where i'm young enough to not have had to use Linux; but old enough to not know what a tweetgram, snapdoodle, or instachat is.
you lost me with those last three...

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
It's been a while since I've really had my hand in it as an admin. I unloaded the boxes I had at my last colo and eventually sold my hosting company in the early 2000s. The closest I've come to Linux lately is the Ubuntu distro on my old notebook and Puppy distro I keep on a thumb drive.

I still remember the shock waves when Redhat went commercial. That kick started my love affair with *BSD. No doubt I'd still be running Novell Netware if I had my way. Been MS free for almost 20 years. Longer than I've been cigarette free :(.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Good morning shiners! A busy tech night I see here. I'll catch up later but I think the malware advice column has been more than comprehensive so nothing for me to add.

I've got some nostalgia for you - ICQ, GNN, Netscape, Napster and Limewire.

Oh, and this...

vFGvhvG.gif

That's all newfangled stuff. Let's go back to the punch card FORTRAN days. That was a fun time. Loved the waiting in line to hand in my card stacks to be run whenever my time came up, then sitting and waiting for the printouts of the inevitable errors, then figure what was in which card stack I needed to rework.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I've got some nostalgia for you - ICQ, GNN, Netscape, Napster and Limewire.

Oh, and this...

vFGvhvG.gif

uh oh, uh oh, uh oh, uh oh :mad:

I remember getting in trouble for searching "...." in napster. Without videos the only form of internet entertainment for me was finding 'funny' audio clips. Could never watch Donald Duck again.

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Orbit City
I still remember the shock waves when Redhat went commercial. That kick started my love affair with *BSD. No doubt I'd still be running Novell Netware if I had my way. Been MS free for almost 20 years. Longer than I've been cigarette free :(.
I flipped that stock at the end if the initial trading day much to the chagrin of Etrade. The policy at the time was to hold an initial offering for 30 days before dumping it but that day was so ludicrous, I couldn't help myself. Best trading day I'd had up until then and since. In retrospect, I could have held it a bit longer and really made a killing. The rush by the public to understand what Redhat was at the time was entertaining.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
That's all newfangled stuff. Let's go back to the punch card FORTRAN days. That was a fun time. Loved the waiting in line to hand in my card stacks to be run whenever my time came up, then sitting and waiting for the printouts of the inevitable errors, then figure what was in which card stack I needed to rework.
Oh yeah, vaping around the punch card reader ... those were the days.
tXg5vrK.jpg

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I’m sure my son would know what you guys are talking about for the most part, but he’s younger than most of you. I do feel bad now though, because we couldn’t get internet until ‘99 so he missed out on a lot.

I’m old enough to have forgotten anything I ever knew about computers, except I used to love Joe Fish. “That was NOT funny. That was my f*****g arm!”

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
i need to get some for that very same mod

Just got my vape mail. He threw in 2 18350s!

He also threw in a bunch of free stuff. Not sure why but I always get so much juice. Bought 1 bottle, got 9.

And a new erm... "custom" cover for my boro tank.

U1aoVzt.jpg

Guys. It's so small. Pictured next to other things for scale:

cIKSuAV.jpg

Last edited:

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I want all that time I spent killing myself with cigarettes back just like all the time I spent waiting on dot matrix printers to complete a batch.

I once almost ended up in a police cell due to a dot-matrix printer. I was a systems engineer for a tech startup in a rather insalubrious part of town. By day, it was all business people, but at night time the character of the place changed completely. This was demonstrated late one night when walking past the local pub, a barstool came through the window and missed me by inches. Which was most disconcerting, as it was our local lunchtime watering hole.

I was the only occupant left in a multi-occupancy, open plan office. We were on the top floor, so everybody had departed for the evening, and the burglar alarm had not been set as my presence would have set off the motion detectors. Having finished the evenings print job, I set the alarm, locked up, and left about 10:30PM as usual. Didn't see or hear anything untoward, but with the noise the 24 pin 132 column line printer made (even in an acoustic hood), you could have set the fire alarm off and I doubt I would have heard it. Hence my frequent late nights.

The next morning when I turned up for work I faced some awkward questions as to how the petty cash and a few other items was missing from the downstairs office, without any sign of forced entry. The local lowlife had slipped the Yale lock on street door as the last person out had failed to lock it, grabbed what they could and quietly shut the door behind them.

Thankfully, I was believed.

Users who are viewing this thread