Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Good morning all,

@Old Greybeard – sound advice!

To add, not only is running multiple anti-virus software a risk of consuming system resources, but you also run the risk of one software package reacting to another. By design an anti virus must contain information on the virus it is suppose to defend against – it also must scan system files for these virus’s. To another virus checker this could seem malicious enough for it to react…and the result could be extremely frustrating!

I 2nd the use of Malware Bytes – I have had much success with this software when helping friends with their infected machines.

Also to add, trying to enter into Safe Mode can be a frustrating experience and not necessarily required – all depends on how the malicious code was developed. You can run Malware Bytes in regular mode. It is actually designed for this purpose. And should it need to remove malicious code that is attached to a system file it will prompt you to reboot. During the reboot the malicious code should be removed. If the malicious code is not removed in this fashion, it does not hurt to attempt a scan in Safe Mode.

@chanelvaps - Adware is sometimes attached to other “trusted” software. Can you recall if you installed anything just prior to experiencing the adware?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
a bootable linux cd can also be used (antivirus live for example) so that the native OS isn't even booted but the drive can be scanned.

True – but also adds a level of complexity to the process which may not be required. And there is no guarantee the Linux AV can remove the malicious code. In order for a Anti Virus to be successful, it has to know the malicious code it is trying to remove which is why we are constantly required to update our AV software for new virus definitions. That is not to say any Linux AV is outdated, just that if the malicious code is unknown to the large AV developers, then it is most likely unknown to the smaller, open source developers as well.

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Orbit City
It's probably an unwanted browser extension or PUP. The MS tool and the Malwarebytes adware removal tool I linked above are portable so they'll just run and not install on top of any existing AV. Hopefully, the adware/PUP remover did the trick.

E - AdwCleaner - Free Adware Cleaner & Removal Tool

Last edited:

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
a bootable linux cd can also be used (antivirus live for example) so that the native OS isn't even booted but the drive can be scanned.

Tsk, tsk, @lupinehorror. You mentioned the "L" word. I was so desperately trying not to, and now you've ruined it :lol::lol::lol::lol:.

Reactions: stols001

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
Tsk, tsk, @lupinehorror. You mentioned the "L" word. I was so desperately trying not to, and now you've ruined it :lol::lol::lol::lol:.
i've been a devotee since the days of 17 floppies to get the slack base install on a minute disk. i do try not to preach about it :cool:

bask

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2012
The Euroneous Zone
DF6F2028-100B-4433-810F-B1225BC3260A.jpeg

That feeling you get after a really long wait…

AC44D843-4145-4A6D-B08F-635CAB7D9F1F.jpeg

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Orbit City
i've been a devotee since the days of 17 floppies to get the slack base install on a minute disk. i do try not to preach about it :cool:
I remember those days. I got in on the Red Hat IPO back when Etrade was like the wild west of offerings. I was running Slackware and Apache on my servers back then.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Huh. I was going to rewick the Solomon 2 and the pin fell out. Totally stripped. I’ve never even touched that pin. I’ve used that tank maybe three times.
Could try emailing kaees and ask for a replacement pin.

Good morning Shiny's.
Got lucky and it ended up raining instead of snowing.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
549F856E-1013-41AB-9BA8-E7A94416F237.jpeg
Could try emailing kaees and ask for a replacement pin.

Good morning Shiny's.
Got lucky and it ended up raining instead of snowing.

Good idea. I checked through the parts and it came with a squonk pin, so I tried that. No dice, the tank is stripped too. Oh well. I got the berserker and the intake wicked and juiced and I’m good to go.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
I remember those days. I got in on the Red Hat IPO back when Etrade was like the wild west of offerings. I was running Slackware and Apache on my servers back then.
the vast majority of mine are using a debian LAMP setup.

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Orbit City
the vast majority of mine are using a debian LAMP setup.
It's been a while since I've really had my hand in it as an admin. I unloaded the boxes I had at my last colo and eventually sold my hosting company in the early 2000s. The closest I've come to Linux lately is the Ubuntu distro on my old notebook and Puppy distro I keep on a thumb drive.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
It's been a while since I've really had my hand in it as an admin. I unloaded the boxes I had at my last colo and eventually sold my hosting company in the early 2000s. The closest I've come to Linux lately is the Ubuntu distro on my old notebook and Puppy distro I keep on a thumb drive.
i've got a rack server at home...16 cores, 64GB of RAM and 12 drives. i only switch it on for special jobs or when i want to heat my flat.
ubuntu has done a lot of good for linux on servers and home machines but i don't run it on much.

Users who are viewing this thread