Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
yes it does seem to be, and I've done some unscrewing to get it to squonk better, but it just isn't there yet.

Maybe I need to unscrew it more? I don't know.. maybe squonking is more difficult than it looks and I'm not squeezing enough, but when you see it on video it just squirts eliquid..

yet I'm getting dry hits. Might be because I over wicked. The position of coil is making it more difficult to wick. Perhaps I should raise the coil more..
You shouldn't need to unscrew the pin. It may have a narrow squonk hole. Steady pressure will probably work better than squeezing hard. On the GR1 And Nova I have had to worry about oversquonking. does it have the round cutouts to place the coiling rod? That should line it up perfectly with the airflow.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
yes it does seem to be, and I've done some unscrewing to get it to squonk better, but it just isn't there yet.

Maybe I need to unscrew it more? I don't know.. maybe squonking is more difficult than it looks and I'm not squeezing enough, but when you see it on video it just squirts eliquid..

yet I'm getting dry hits. Might be because I over wicked. The position of coil is making it more difficult to wick. Perhaps I should raise the coil more..
To get the wick in make a long enough point you can grab with pliers. Don't wick too tight. Don't try to stuff too much in the wells. You will probably need to prime it by dripping, the AF is kinda low to prime by squonking. The coil should sit close to flush with the top.
20190325_175733.jpg

I like to leave some
empty space above the pin for juice to flow out to the wicks.
View attachment 805399
20190325_175930.jpg

When I trim the leads I get under and bend the extra wire up and in towards the screw.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
3x the price though... o_O

IDK, try a clone first to see if you like it?

I saw a FLVR clone on Efun.top it's also at FT by SXK. The original is almost impossible to find and it looks like potentially a nice little 22 mm single coil atty. Sort of reminds me of the Venna which is still my fave. I might get it just to see how the design works. Might be the best way to check out the reload too. Hate to chase something down for a significant investment only to find it's a bust.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
For y’all liking the recurve, I’d suggest picking up a Reload S. It’s like a recurve 2.0 - similar everything but better build quality, aesthetic, leak resistance, and you can drip on it too.

I’ll keep it mind for a future payday. For now, I am happy as a pig in mud. And I still have the Bunker and Dead rabbit to try out.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
For y’all liking the recurve, I’d suggest picking up a Reload S. It’s like a recurve 2.0 - similar everything but better build quality, aesthetic, leak resistance, and you can drip on it too.
Also 3x the $$

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
How are you liking that wasp? I have one coming.
I Dig it. I used one of the coils that came with it and it hits hard for 40W. Flavor's good and building&wicking it is a breeze. It's a fun tank. Don't know how long It will last with the plastic threads (hope they will make replacement top caps). It is great for the price though. Looks purdy too.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
I Dig it. I used one of the coils that came with it and it hits hard for 40W. Flavor's good and building&wicking it is a breeze. It's a fun tank. Don't know how long It will last with the plastic threads (hope they will make replacement top caps). It is great for the price though. Looks purdy too.
It is quite loud though...

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
@Opinionated I rebuilt my Nova I know it's a different atty but the process is pretty close to the same as the Nixon. I took pictures of the build. Hope this helps.

Lined up with the placement guide
20190325_215651.jpg

Long point on the wick
20190325_215706.jpg

Thin and fluff the wicks a bit
20190325_215732.jpg

Put wicks with ends touching the deck
20190325_215620.jpg

Juice flows freely into the empty space in the middle. Airflow is trapped by the wicks around the coil.
20190325_215555.jpg

It took me a bit to get it right on the GR1 but when I did the flavor off these little guys is awesome.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
@Opinionated I rebuilt my Nova I know it's a different atty but the process is pretty close to the same as the Nixon. I took pictures of the build. Hope this helps.

Lined up with the placement guide
View attachment 805417

Long point on the wick
View attachment 805419

Thin and fluff the wicks a bit
View attachment 805421

Put wicks with ends touching the deck
View attachment 805425

Juice flows freely into the empty space in the middle. Airflow is trapped by the wicks around the coil.
View attachment 805427

It took me a bit to get it right on the GR1 but when I did the flavor off these little guys is awesome.

Okay, you've got that sitting far higher than I have mine. It might be partially because I have built a straight round wire 26 gauge 3 mm ID coil, but I set mine like Mike Vapes video said, and that is leaving my coil sitting far lower than yours is there..

perhaps thats part of the problem.

I'm not using any more wicking than you, much less because my coil is smaller from the looks of it..

I did prime my cotton, but continuing to vape and try to rewet the cotton through squonking isnt getting the cotton wet enough to keep dry hits at bay..

I'll raise the coil and fiddle around, and see where that takes me..

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Okay, you've got that sitting far higher than I have mine. It might be partially because I have built a straight round wire 26 gauge 3 mm ID coil, but I set mine like Mike Vapes video said, and that is leaving my coil sitting far lower than yours is there..

perhaps thats part of the problem.

I'm not using any more wicking than you, much less because my coil is smaller from the looks of it..

I did prime my cotton, but continuing to vape and try to rewet the cotton through squonking isnt getting the cotton wet enough to keep dry hits at bay..

I'll raise the coil and fiddle around, and see where that takes me..
I think if it's lower the AF would go over the top of the coil, instead of hitting it directly. Can't think of why it wouldn't be squonking enough though. Maybe something stuck in the pin? Try messing with it some more tomorrow and hopefully you can get it up and running, I haven't checked the status of my order yet but I have one on the way. If you are still having trouble, maybe I can help a little better once I have the same exact RDA.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I think if it's lower the AF would go over the top of the coil, instead of hitting it directly. Can't think of why it wouldn't be squonking enough though. Maybe something stuck in the pin? Try messing with it some more tomorrow and hopefully you can get it up and running, I haven't checked the status of my order yet but I have one on the way. If you are still having trouble, maybe I can help a little better once I have the same exact RDA.

I have it figured out. It was user error. I WAS wicking it wrongly.

It has a gentle squonk, and just fills the juice well when you squeeze. (Its kind of nice really) so in order to wick quickly, the wicking has to be far looser than you have to build for an RTA..(I had a hard time seeing this because my juice is clear)

I went to town on fluffing the tails, and watched and made sure it was wicking right, and now I'm getting some flavor.

I changed the coil placement higher, and it's doing better; I'm going to try messing with placement again, and then I think I'll have it... not quite right yet, but far closer...

Thanks for all your help so far... I may still need you yet, but it's coming along..

hahaha.. I never realized how different this would be. (This is my first Squonker set up)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread