Small RTA for MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I really like my Cthulu Hastur Mini. It's 22mm. I don't have much experience with MTL gear though.
After watching a review, I'm concerned about the tight clearance between deck and "bell"
The Berserker RTAs have 22mm and 24mm versions.
Looks good.
After watching lots of video reviews, I see it's a common issue to cut the coil leads as close as possible to deck. I have a solution (just a thought) since it's only the positive lead that's an issue, I could do that side first (with coil slightly closer to screw than I want it to end up), clip the lead, then loosen screw a bit and center coil and re-tighten. The negative side shouldn't matter, right?

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Been watching reviews... both the geek vape and the innokin look great! Fumytech rose not so good (looks great but don't like the deck. It's past mid night... gotta go. Will seach vapecrawler tomorrow... many were out of stock but haven't given up yet. Thanks again.

The Geekvape is the better choice over the Innokin.

Here's a couple of others:

SILVERPLAY 24MM MULTI AIRFLOW RTA - Ignore any bad reviews on this RTA. It's a flavour machine and easy to build and wick

CTHULHU HASTUR 24MM MTL RTA I have this RTA. It uses airflow inserts, so that you can change the draw from tight mtl, to airy mtl, to restricted direct lung. It's the easiest RTA I have to build and wick. No dry hits, no leaking ever - just amazing flavour. It's a perfect newbies RTA.

VaporDNA Coupon (10% Off)
    Coupon Code:WELCOME10
    Get 10% off sitewide. Free shipping on orders over $49.

• Agree

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    AngeNZ, I do like the Cthulhu Hastur very much. I realize many RTA have the coil lead issue... I can work around that anyway (already thought of more ways... might even make a special tool for that)
    I just looked at the Silverplay link... holy cow! I'll get around to watching a review, but at that price I don't care (I want one before they are gone)

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    AngeNZ, I do like the Cthulhu Hastur very much. I realize many RTA have the coil lead issue... I can work around that anyway (already thought of more ways... might even make a special tool for that)
    I just looked at the Silverplay link... holy cow! I'll get around to watching a review, but at that price I don't care (I want one before they are gone)

Good luck with the search and your first build @vaper1960 , you'll have the building bug in no time;)
    You can't go wrong with anything that @AngeNZ recommends!
    I will recommend two reviewers for you though since your going nuts with the utube vids (just like I did):w00t:
    Vic from Vaping with Vic, who you may know already.
    Daniel from DJLsb Vapes, Good name and does the Best reviews:D

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Watched a review of the Silverplay... like it. Should work great with smaller coils and my small mod. Thanks.

If shipping from the States wasn't so much I would have a stable of Silverplay RTAs - they have made an amazing flavour RTA. Keep the Hastur mtl RTA in mind for next time.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    @vaper1960, got a couple of Ulton Tripod RTA's on order from 2Fdeal myself. As I was interested in what folks were saying about the original, and I have heard that Ulton do a decent 1:1 clone (o rings may be an issue though, but they can always be replaced).
    I have two authentic Tripod's. One is from batch 1 and the second is from the recently released batch 2.
    They vape great from MTL to a restricted DL to DL. I've tried all the AF pins too. Personally I vape from a tight MTL to RDL with the occasional DL. The Tripod works and vapes great. Flavor is awesome.
    @Heartsdelight and @Vape Muppet have the Ulton versions and hopefully they can offer more info on those.
    If you have any questions let me know.
    Cheers :D

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    I have two authentic Tripod's. One is from batch 1 and the second is from the recently released batch 2.
    They vape great from MTL to a restricted DL to DL. I've tried all the AF pins too. Personally I vape from a tight MTL to RDL. The Tripod works and vapes great. Flavor is awesome.
    @Heartsdelight and @Vape Muppet have the Ulton versions and hopefully they can offer more info on those.
    If you have any questions let me know.
    Cheers :D
    The Ulton 1:1 from 2fdeal is pretty much exact from what I can tell from Todd’s videos. It isn’t as smooth as the authentic when removing the deck, I have to twist it some.

I also have little droplets juice seeping out from the connection between the deck & the tank. Strange as I’m not a newb when it comes to wicking. The only thing I think might help is if I can get a slightly thicker oring for the deck.

The flavor is fantastic on it.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    The Ulton 1:1 from 2fdeal is pretty much exact from what I can tell from Todd’s videos. It isn’t as smooth as the authentic when removing the deck, I have to twist it some.

I also have little droplets juice seeping out from the connection between the deck & the tank. Strange as I’m not a newb when it comes to wicking. The only thing I think might help is if I can get a slightly thicker oring for the deck.

The flavor is fantastic on it.
    I agree with you the little droplets of juice it has to be an o-ring as mine have zero seeping or leakage. I just looked at my Atmizoo parts listing and that o-ring is a 16x1 NBR for between the deck and tank. Maybe try one of the spares. Or if you buy some you may want to consider going thicker on the CS (cross section) like a 16x1.1mm or 16x1.2mm or even thicker. From my experience with the Project X clones the o-ring tolerances vary versus an authentic. I still need to get newer ones to test with my X's. :facepalm:

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I need to know what wattage to run coils... it's straightforward on Steam Engine with solid wire coils, but then gets complicated for "twisted" wires, ect. My hands are tied (until I get a 'real" mod) because of the limited wattage choices on my little mod. Can I get "in the ballpark" just by going with the resistance of the coils(s)? No choices between 18 and 30 watts. I want to order some pre-coiled coils right now from fasttech, but wonder if I'd be better off just getting a spool of wire and making my own (not intimidated by this at all) I'm thinking 28 gauge kanthal.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    I agree with you the little droplets of juice it has to be an o-ring as mine have zero seeping or leakage. I just looked at my Atmizoo parts listing and that o-ring is a 16x1 NBR for between the deck and tank. Maybe try one of the spares. Or if you buy some you may want to consider going thicker on the CS (cross section) like a 16x1.1mm or 16x1.2mm or even thicker. From my experience with the Project X clones the o-ring tolerances vary versus an authentic. I still need to get newer ones to test with my X's. :facepalm:
    I changed the o-ring to a larger but thinner one from when I ordered spares for the OG Serpent rta & that seems to have fixed it I vaped one tank fill 3.5ml with extension & it’s dry now it also made removing the deck smoother now, comes right off.

• Winner

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Right after I asked, I figured it out (but had to do something) the second number is the coil ID. I really want a 2.5mm ID, but 2mm will do (I am also going to use the same coils for my RDTA... long story, but it has to do with wicking... going for a DTL on that project)

These will do the trick 2.5mm 1ohm kanthal coils:

$3.83 Authentic Clrane Kanthal A1 Pre-Coiled Wire (50-Pack) - 30*2 AWG / 0.25mm*2 dia. / 1ohm / w/ cotton at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Don't worry too much about whats steam engine suggests for the wattage. You always start at the lowest wattage, and work your way up to where you like it. Here's the steam engine results for that coil:
    Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

You can also get single wire premade coils from FT, just choose kanthal or n80. I picked the twisted wire as it will give you better flavour, they are easy to install and you don't have to worry about installing mtl clapton coils.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    I picked the twisted wire as it will give you better flavour, they are easy to install and you don't have to worry about installing mtl clapton coils.

Those premade coils from FT are great deal but I hate them... they are counterclockwise winded and for me instaling them in Project X is not easy but rather pain in the ...:( if they would be clockwise winded I would love them :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread